Went down hard at the track

quantumracer

Registered
On July 30th I was entered in a Summit Series race at a local 1/8th mile drag strip here in SOCAL. It was a long day at the track. I arrived around 2pm and the first round was at 11pm! I made it through practice and qualifying without incident. The first round went flawlessly....until I crossed the finish line; that's when all hell broke loose! During the run, as I made the shift to third, the bike made a move to the inside line. I leaned left to stop/correct the movement. As I crossed the finish line I (YES, admitted rider error) did not straighten the bike prior to applying the brakes. The front end tucked and took me for a hell of a ride. I was life flighted off the track to a local trauma hospital.

My injuries:

Massive concussion (DUH, I was unconscious...I hit the ground face first going 120+mph), 5 broken ribs, a broken shoulder blade, a punctured lung, a perforated ear drum, my brake lever impaled my left pinkie finger and the seam on my left glove at the index finger failed which ground down the end of my left index finger.

I have been in rehab ever since, but here's the thing. MY SAFETY GEAR SAVED MY LIFE!!! I have almost ZERO road rash, and am able to walk, talk, eat, drink, go to work.....almost everything...because I was wearing safety gear! Yea, I'm still in alot of pain, and my left arm is pretty weak right now, but I'm able to talk to my kids and my wife every day.

I have been riding hard for 31 years, and I have been in 4 crashes. I am still able to ride (well, I will be able to when my rehab is complete) because I live/ride by two very important creeds:

1) All the gear; all the time!
2) Dress for the crash, enjoy the ride!

Tell everyone you know; preach it to them till their sick of your voice and give in just to shut you up! Gear saves lives, and you just NEVER KNOW when someone else will be the problem; or worse, your own mental fatigue (or brain fart) brings you down.

Ride safe brothers and sisters!

HOOYAH!!!
Dan

Dang, didnt know this. Very happy you are here to share the story and will soon ride again.

You preach gear and I'll preach brakes! The most under-utilized/misunderstood application of motorcycle riding by leaps and bounds is the proper use of the brakes.

Everyone works hard at going fast but very few ever get a good grasp on braking.

Sorry about your get off. Hope you heal quickly and completely. Good for you on wearing full gear. It's almost magical on how well modern gear protects the rider.

You preach gear and I'll preach brakes! The most under-utilized/misunderstood application of motorcycle riding by leaps and bounds is the proper use of the brakes.

Everyone works hard at going fast but very few ever get a good grasp on braking.

Sorry about your get off. Hope you heal quickly and completely. Good for you on wearing full gear. It's almost magical on how well modern gear protects the rider.

I have to admit in all the years of riding that I work my skills with brakes the least. I know I should and that the benefits would be good. But man the learning process there can be painful.

Sorry about your get off man. Hope you heal up quick and well.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Ribs should be starting to feel better after three months, hope the right arm comes around soon for you.

Just reminds you of how quickly you can get hurt. Kudo's for the gear. Heal swiftly.

X2000 on the brakes brother! It is pretty humbling to have to explain to my crew this crash was my fault. If this information helps one person....it's worth the redass.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Ribs should be starting to feel better after three months, hope the right arm comes around soon for you.

Thanks Bro! The ribs are still killing me, and it's been more than three months already. All five of my ribs were overlaping, displaced, fractures. Add to that the fact that I'm 44 years old and it's going to take more time. No worries though; I'm on the mend and moving in the right direction!

HOOYAH!!!

Here's a picture of the bike before the paint job. This was taken at a May 21st event.

248561_211727995525412_100000646406353_672368_4255126_n.jpg

Heal quick and stay strong. I try to follow the same creed.. the other riders from my department make fun of me. "You're really afraid to go down aren't you?" No.. just trying to be ready when it does happen. Your testimony is heard loud and clear. Keep us informed on your rehab.

wise words indeed on the wear right gear

glad your on the mend sir your a brave man as most would give up after 3rd time unlucky ? but 4 well that's just showing off .

when ya hoping to be back in the saddle ?

sorry to hear about the latest crash but glad you are on the mend...congrats on living life to the fullest :beerchug:

wise words indeed on the wear right gear

glad your on the mend sir your a brave man as most would give up after 3rd time unlucky ? but 4 well that's just showing off .

when ya hoping to be back in the saddle ?

ROTFLMAO!!! Dude....I laughed so hard my ribs hurt. THANKS!
I promised my family I would not ride/race again until I am 100% healed. Not sure how long it's going to take, but I'm guessing 6-9 months minimum....if I have to have surgery on my hand that's probably a year.

Back