My Mustang...

(BigBSBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,14:38)
(VaBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,12:21)
(BigBSBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,13:02) Nothing wrong with putting money into something that you love and enjoy!  There are still plenty of '95 Stangs at car shows (even stock ones).  If its not your daily driver then you have all the time in the world to get stuff done, but if it is getting something newer might be the better option.  All kinds of restoration that can be done to update it just figure out the reasons for doing it.
Ken, it is my daily driver...kind of why I love it so much...tote the kids here and there, grocery getter, BUT, we have 3 cars (well 2 since the Miata rollover), so when one's out of commission, there's usually a stand by and not too much of a rush to get that 3rd back on the road.  I could feasibly pull the Mustang off the road for improvements and upgrades for months and not worry too much, aside from missing her
sad.gif

Only reason for the upgrades would be simply because I want to keep the car...not much more I can say  
biggrin.gif
Didn't remember it was your daily driver since you only ever talk about Caesar!
biggrin.gif
 I think you've already made up your mind.  If the newer Stangs aren't your thing don't get one.  Keep what you've got and fix it up the way you want to.  Of course this is coming from someone who hasn't had a vehicle for more than 4 years!
biggrin.gif
Yeah, I think I've made up my mind
smile.gif
It just feels right; ask me again when I realize how much it really cost me LOL

Caesar is my baby, but with kids, well, let's just say I have yet to perfect a way to tote them and their stuff to daycare and then school!
laugh.gif
No, no sidecar!
crazy.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

(mzrsq @ Jan. 10 2007,14:57) Michelle, the best advise I could give is drive a NEW Mustang and then decide if you still LOVE your 95.  If you do then by all means spend the dough and make her all you want.  But if for one instance somewhere in your mind you happen to think "I could get use to this", then pony up and buy the NEW Stang.

There's nothing worse than throwing away $$$ into a car that doesn't deserve it, I should know, been there lots of times.

Anyways, here's the wifes 05...................Now you tell me.

IMG_0452.jpg
See, I'm kind of afraid to drive the new ones for fear of exactly that! LOL

Honestly, with the exception of those black rally stripes on that yellow Stang, I parked next to that exact car just last Friday when fetching some lunch...it was a rainy day, they'd just parked, I parked next to 'em and as I'm turning the car off (and it does sound pretty good - mine that is), I'm thinking "they're probably looking at my little 95 and chuckling" since they've got the newest toy on the block...I got out and went in the store, ordered a sub, waiting and all the while looking out the front window at that yellow Stang and my little red convertible...I just smiled; it's mine and I love it...I think that's when I felt I could pass up a new one to keep mine...it's all that beefy new Mustang's fault
laugh.gif

Beautiful car...no doubt...

The one thing I forgot to mention: If you go with a rebuild, you can buy parts as fundage allows.

If you want a supercharger, mild boost 8-12lbs will get you well into the 400-500 rwhp range and be able to be driven everyday.

But you must have a good condition motor to start with.

(vman1300 @ Jan. 10 2007,15:flamethrowing:) The one thing I forgot to mention: If you go with a rebuild, you can buy parts as fundage allows.

If you want a supercharger, mild boost 8-12lbs will get you well into the 400-500 rwhp range and be able to be driven everyday.

But you must have a good condition motor to start with.
Good info, stuff to make Mike cry
wink.gif
Any way I can get all of this done without him knowing?! LOL That would be sweet...he pulls up in his newer Mustang, revs the motor, takes off and I smoke him...ahh, now that's nice!!

I would definitely put the bulk of my $$ in to the motor first, then go from there...hate to add stuff to a motor that might last another year...
smile.gif

New GTs are hard to beat. Haven't heard of a new Cobra. Livernoismotorsports will build an 800 RWHP bulletproof motor for 29K last I looked. Of course with anything like that suspension work is a must and on your 95 convertible more than likely some beefing up of the frame.

The cheap version will probably be found at a local shop. Someone who builds and races mustangs.

Love the sound of a Kenne Bell, but the blowzilla for your ride is probably between 4 and 5K for the parts, excluding install and tuning.

Good Luck.

(dadofthree @ Jan. 10 2007,15:40) New GTs are hard to beat. Haven't heard of a new Cobra. Livernoismotorsports will build an 800 RWHP bulletproof motor for 29K last I looked. Of course with anything like that suspension work is a must and on your 95 convertible more than likely some beefing up of the frame.

The cheap version will probably be found at a local shop. Someone who builds and races mustangs.

Love the sound of a Kenne Bell, but the blowzilla for your ride is probably between 4 and 5K for the parts, excluding install and tuning.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the info...blowzilla huh? Just cracks me up...man, I've got a lot to learn...
wink.gif

(VaBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,15:36) Good info, stuff to make Mike cry  
wink.gif
 Any way I can get all of this done without him knowing?!  LOL  That would be sweet...he pulls up in his newer Mustang, revs the motor, takes off and I smoke him...ahh, now that's nice!!

I would definitely put the bulk of my $$ in to the motor first, then go from there...hate to add stuff to a motor that might last another year...  
smile.gif
Hummm, there are lots of ways for it to be done with out Mike knowing...right up until he hears the motor run....rofl......

(vman1300 @ Jan. 10 2007,15:47)
(VaBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,15:36) Good info, stuff to make Mike cry  
wink.gif
 Any way I can get all of this done without him knowing?!  LOL  That would be sweet...he pulls up in his newer Mustang, revs the motor, takes off and I smoke him...ahh, now that's nice!!

smile.gif
Hummm, there are lots of ways for it to be done with out Mike knowing...right up until he hears the motor run....rofl......
laugh.gif
Yeah, that would be great...too bad I need his help so much with this project!

I just can't have him beat me on anything...gotta keep the Harley rider in line you know!
tounge.gif

I def am not reading this entire thread.

But I understand you wanting to keep the car.

Take Mike to the junk yard pull an engine from a cobra or newer 05 and swap it out.

Make all the upgrades needed and keep on trucking.
beerchug.gif
You wont regret it as long as you always have that "back up" car just in case.

As an example, my cousin has that body style.
We payed a guy to paint it on the side, dropped a super charger on it. Blew the engine, pulled it rebuilt it top to bottom.

Now it is better than Jack Roush ever dreamed.

Just remember the further you get from stock the less reliable it becomes and the parts get more expensive to maintain.

With 150,000 miles and 12 years old, your car is WORN out. Your last worry should be adding more horsepower. I'm sure your entire suspension and brake systems are on the verge of overhauling. This will run you in the $2000 range. Then your differential needs rebuilding cause i'm sure it's getting close to start making noises, if it isn't already. That's $1500 -which the 3.73 gearing is a GREAT idea since you have the HEAVY convertible. Now let's get the trans covered. Your trans is bound to be pretty sloppy and loose. Way too much to rebuild it when you can get a Tremec TKO trans/clutch installed for $2500. This leads to the engine. Just installing a standard rebuilt long block is $2000. Then you NEED to replace the worn out fuel system (fuel pump, injectors, pressure regulator,fuel rails, filter) cause your's is ready to fail some day soon. The fuel system and engine sensors will run near $1000. Plus, your throttle body will be worn out, another $300. Now you have $3300 just to have a solid near STOCK engine. The most cost effcitve power boost will be an entry level supercharger kit from Vortech/Paxton for $3000. I like the GT40 long block idea, but you must upgrade almost every bolt-on engine part to give that motor what it requires.(intake, exhaust, headers, fuel system) By now you have $12,300 just to make your mustang a reliable semi-stock car to build from. This isn't including interior and exterior.
This all sounds overwhelming, but it is still cheaper than a NEW mustang and YOUR car will have another reliable 150,000 miles ahead of it. As long as you don't fix it up and then change your mind and sell it, it will be worth it. Cause if you do all this work, your car will still only be worth $6-8K. Good luck and make sure to take LOTS of pictures cause everyone will want to see your progress.

I'd buy your car in a heartbeat. I have had 13 of them. I am guessing by the age you have the 5.0? If so you can pick up a HO long block assembly at Advance Auto for like $1200 and go from there... Don't go nuts on a huge HP motor if you are not willing to spend another 5K plus on suspension and brakes (that's not even the good stuff), a new or at least freshly rebuilt T5 or better although my favorite tranny is the SROD 4 speed out of the 82' GT's... I could go on forever...

Tremec ? 5 or 6 speed ? New GTs going for 26K around here. Convertibles are higher, but built right.

Of course you have to pay the taxes and insurance on it.

I know what you mean, Michelle. I feel the same way about my Z28. Just hard to part with it, y'know?

I am, however, in lust with that new Camaro they are coming out with next year. I won't buy one new, probably but if the Z doesn't make it until then, I just might. I've been a Vette fan since I was a little kid so someday, I'll end up with one but that new Camaro body style is right up my alley.

I do like the advice given above that you go test drive the new 'Stang. You might find you like it. Just don't sign on the dotted lines until a couple days later, that's all! Gives you time to cool off!

--Wag--

(VaBusa @ Jan. 11 2007,02:27) Wow, vman, NJ, Devious...tons of great info...wish I understood it all! LOL I'm seriously lacking in my shop talk, but the hubby would understand it all and have more to toss in...

Looks like I've got a ton of options here, just need to work on which one is most affordable and feasible...NJ, sounds to me like you've got drag racing Mustangs there, and as much as I'd love that, I think it would kill my daily drivability, hence I need to lean toward the things I want from the car (remember, I am having a blast with it as is, it can only get better) and still maintain a vehicle that I can drive everyday, kick some butt when I get the chance
laugh.gif

I love the sound of a super charger, so that's kind of the route I'd like to go...shouldn't be any problem if it's a daily driver, right? I'm not looking to be the next speed racer every where I go, but I would love to hear that super charger kick in every now and again...I'd even turn the stereo down for that one
smile.gif
Michelle,I drove my 306 from NC to Panama City Fla,Galveston Texas.Morgan City La,never missed a beat.I had the AC blowing every mile,The only bad thing about a nitrous car is filling the bottle.I'm with you on the Supercharger route,But it so much more expensive than nitrous....You have to have the fuel system to support the boost, FMU's are good to about 6lbs,but after that,you really need aftermarket fuel rails,injectors,lines and a good strong EFI fuel pump,that crap aint CHEAP!

I would buy a forged 306 Pro street kit from CoastHighPerformance,a set of TFS highports out of the box,and find a good used S-Trim and go kick some arse! A little TFS stage 1 camshaft and you'd be set to break it off in what ever Mike has.Driveability would be fine,its all in the tune,just take it to Randy Haywood,one of the best in the country and a hell of a lot cheaper than Job Spetter and closer for you to boot.
beerchug.gif

Probably not a good idea to put forced induction (blower or turbo) or nitrous on that motor with those miles on it.
If you could find a low mileage motor then that would be the thing to do. I vote supercharger over nitrous.
wink.gif

Thanks for the advice guys...I definitely won't do anything to the current motor. When the time comes, I'll get another motor put in and the extra HP stuff will be perks I work on along the way...

Mike pretty much settled on the GT he's found...he brought pictures home last night...I told him I'd talked to you guys about options for my car; I'll end up printing this thread off for him to read, though I already know he's got a ton of options rolling around in his head already
smile.gif

I don't want a money pit, so I know the changes I make ot the car down the road have to be changes that will still allow it to be a daily driver. I can't do extreme stuff to it; I'll never be able to keep up with that.
sad.gif

Thanks again...
beerchug.gif

You are getting to the point of this: You are going to have a car payment one way or the other. With the old car nickel and diming you every/every other month or a "new" car payment. Even if you replace the engine and tranny, there are a ton of other little things that will allways come up. I've been trying to convince the wife to get a new car, but like you she loves the one she has. She will put $300 a month into the turd, but doesn't want a $300 car payment. Go figure.

Best of luck with your delemia,

Steve

Oh just paint it Barbie Pink... you know you want to. Photoshop guys, where are you?
all_coholic.gif

(Tree @ Jan. 11 2007,12:08) You are getting to the point of this:  You are going to have a car payment one way or the other.  With the old car nickel and diming you every/every other month or a "new" car payment.  Even if you replace the engine and tranny, there are a ton of other little things that will allways come up.  I've been trying to convince the wife to get a new car, but like you she loves the one she has.  She will put $300 a month into the turd, but doesn't want a $300 car payment.  Go figure.

Best of luck with your delemia,

Steve
I know, and I don't want that...the car is a sentimental thing at this point I guess...I refuse to have the new car payment; goes against my religion, but I also don't want to be nickled and dimed either
sad.gif
I guess I won't know how bad it could be 'til I start spending...I feel your wife's pain
smile.gif

Back