My Mustang...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Okay MEN, car topic here...I'll be honest, I don't know much about cars except that I love driving 'em!  I just changed the oil on my Mustang for the very first time, sure I can check the fluids and I've even put gas in it LOL but beyond that, I'm clueless.  I know more about my Busa than my car, and that's probably not saying too much  
smile.gif

I'm at a crossroads with my GT...she looks good, but showing age, paint could be better, new top is holding up, interior is okay (new leather seats would help her feel peppy I'm sure, but they'll do for now)...she's got 150,000+ miles behind her, all stock except for some "accidental" catalytic converter mods (he he) and Flowmasters to give her a grumble...she's a 5 speed, a LONG shifting 5-speed (I'm sure it's costing me 1/10 at each and every shift! LOL), the list of things one must know to actually start up and drive my car is getting long, the driver's window needs to be readjusted, running lights aren't working, some speakers come and go, can't start without the keyless entry OR find something small and pointy to press the magic button on the steering colum...the short of it is that if she were stolen today, someone might wonder just what in the hell they just did.  
crazy.gif

BUT, I adore this car...it's just a thing, but it's MY thing, like my Busa...I keep her clean and shiny, meticulously picking up the messes my kids make in the back seat, upgraded her wheels to nicer 17" rims, new tires: I still grin every time I see her...she's mine for as long as she'll let me keep her, but I know I'm getting to that point where I either need to commit some $$ to keep her for the long haul or give her up and move on.  Mike asked me last night if someone came up to me and gave me one of those new Mustangs I adore, I wouldn't think twice...I thought about it and told him I want to keep my old '95 GT...I can't imagine parting with her...it's silly, I know...

So, we're online last night pricing crate motors, upgrades to what I've got like super chargers because I want more HP and that sound  
super.gif
, something to keep up with the ricers that keep pulling away from me.  I'm not all about speed though, I like power, I like the sound, I can't afford a Roush motor (man, I wish), we're discussing painting her, new seats and the like.  I'm seeing that she'll likely become a money pit, but I can't part with her for whatever reason...

Is it honestly worth it to invest so much in a car that's already 12 years old?  For me, it seems like it might be worth it - makes me happy, no car payment, just keep her running and improve what's getting worn out along the way...

Suggestions as to possible routes to take are appreciated.  Mike knows plenty about cars, has rebuilt his own '65 Mustang, dropped more than a few motors, so I know WE (he he) can do it...crate motors a good way to go?  I want something for the long haul, something dependable, yet incredibly fun...a sleeper...
biggrin.gif

Important items I'd like to maintain of obtain if I haven't:  MORE HP*, sounds awesome, shorter shift, lowered in the rear just a tad, power, power, power...after that, I'll worry about the cosmetics of the car...

*Did I mention that Mike's eyeing a 2004 Mustang with some major engine work from a buddy of his...it'll have close to 300 HP and I can't have my little GT stand for that...I'm serious, I need to work out a game plan here!  

Sorry this was so long...been wanting to pick your brains for months about my car, don't feel like joining a Mustang forum since we have so many Stang fans here (NJ and  BulletTrain come to mind)  

wink.gif

Before my new wheels...

Mustang.JPG

I don't practice what I'm about to preach here ... but "no car payment" sounds nice, so I say upgrade and drive that baby until the wheels fall off
smile.gif

(sageronin @ Jan. 10 2007,12:43) I don't practice what I'm about to preach here ... but "no car payment" sounds nice, so I say upgrade and drive that baby until the wheels fall off
smile.gif
*coughs* No kidding DJ!!!
laugh.gif

Crate motor and a new close ratio trans $$$...then you'll probably blow the rear end...I would be looking at a newer
model (used) or a new GT. They have improved dramatically over the years
wink.gif

I guess all I'm looking for here in my long winded story is "will it be far to costly to keep her going, tossing in a few perks and upgrades along the way?" Better off just getting something else?
sad.gif

BTW - NO engine problems as of now, I'm just preparing myself for what lies ahead AND I'm trying to make certain the hubby does NOT have a faster car than mine for very long LOL
biggrin.gif

Going to knock on wood now so I don't have the motor blow up on the way home...oops, knocking on it again...
lurk.gif

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 10 2007,12:46) Crate motor and a new close ratio trans $$$...then you'll probably blow the rear end...I would be looking at a newer
model (used) or a new GT. They have improved dramatically over the years
wink.gif
But I want something that will last, not something that will tear the car up even faster than I already have LOL

I don't want a new GT...whaaaaaaa...
poke.gif
wink.gif

wink.gif

What $10 GRAND in upgrades and then ya still have 12 year old car
crazy.gif

Here's a short throw shifter for starters:

Summit link

With 150000 on the clock, a rebuild is in order to add any big power makers. It's just money...........

bbk_2700.jpg

Sell ALL those toasters that you have been squirrelin' away and you could buy a '07 GT
beerchug.gif

Nothing wrong with putting money into something that you love and enjoy! There are still plenty of '95 Stangs at car shows (even stock ones). If its not your daily driver then you have all the time in the world to get stuff done, but if it is getting something newer might be the better option. All kinds of restoration that can be done to update it just figure out the reasons for doing it.

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 10 2007,12:48) What $10 GRAND in upgrades and then ya still have 12 year old car  
crazy.gif
No, that's what I don't want...a few grand and I'll be happy...not looking at forking over $10K though
crazy.gif

crazy.gif

(guido4512 @ Jan. 10 2007,12:51) Here's a short throw shifter for starters:

Summit link

With 150000 on the clock, a rebuild is in order to add any big power makers. It's just money...........
That's what I need...not too pricey either
biggrin.gif

I don't like the idea of rebuilding what I've got...I'm for getting something new, but affordable...I know, I know, they don't usually go hand in hand
wink.gif

(BigBSBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,13:02) Nothing wrong with putting money into something that you love and enjoy!  There are still plenty of '95 Stangs at car shows (even stock ones).  If its not your daily driver then you have all the time in the world to get stuff done, but if it is getting something newer might be the better option.  All kinds of restoration that can be done to update it just figure out the reasons for doing it.
Ken, it is my daily driver...kind of why I love it so much...tote the kids here and there, grocery getter, BUT, we have 3 cars (well 2 since the Miata rollover), so when one's out of commission, there's usually a stand by and not too much of a rush to get that 3rd back on the road. I could feasibly pull the Mustang off the road for improvements and upgrades for months and not worry too much, aside from missing her
sad.gif

Only reason for the upgrades would be simply because I want to keep the car...not much more I can say
biggrin.gif

(VaBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,13:19)
(guido4512 @ Jan. 10 2007,12:51) Here's a short throw shifter for starters:

Summit link

That's what I need...not too pricey either
biggrin.gif

I don't like the idea of rebuilding what I've got...I'm for getting something new, but affordable...I know, I know, they don't usually go hand in hand  
wink.gif
Here's affordable ............
345 HP gt 40 motor for 4 grand.

Racing performance for your everyday needs.
These 5.0L/302 GT-40 crate engine assemblies from Ford Racing are the perfect way to increase the performance of any ride. They include assembled aluminum GT-40 cylinder heads with 1.94 in. intake and 1.54 in. exhaust valves. The heads have 178cc intake runners and 62cc exhaust runners. The camshaft provides significant horsepower increases above 4,000 RPM and good low-end torque. Valve lift is .480 in. on both intake and exhaust. Duration at .050 inches is 224 degrees on both intake and exhaust. These engines feature a 9.0:1 compression ratio (nominal), and produce approximately 345 hp, making them great for limited budgets.

Engines come assembled with:

* Cast crankshaft
* Pistons
* GT-40 valve train
* Ford valve covers
* Water pump
* Rear sump Fox style 5 qt. oil pan and pickup
* Harmonic balancer
* Spark plugs
* Engine oil dipstick
* Flywheel

another link

fms_m_6007_xe3m_xb3m_w.jpg

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 10 2007,13:40) 4K almost 1/2 way there  M....how much for the trans
rock.gif

tounge.gif
I suppose you don't own anything that you just would like to keep? Just for the hell of it? You just like it?

Jeez, you're giving me a headache
laugh.gif

(VaBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,10:45)
(BA BUSA @ Jan. 10 2007,13:40) 4K almost 1/2 way there  M....how much for the trans
rock.gif

tounge.gif
I suppose you don't own anything that you just would like to keep?  Just for the hell of it?  You just like it?

laugh.gif
I've been through this M...got a '70 SS El Camino
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(BA BUSA @ Jan. 10 2007,13:48)
(VaBusa @ Jan. 10 2007,10:45)
rock.gif

tounge.gif
I suppose you don't own anything that you just would like to keep?  Just for the hell of it?  You just like it?

laugh.gif
I've been through this M...got a '70 SS El Camino  
laugh.gif
Why not just sell it
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

Get one of these!  I know where there is one at and I think you can get 60 month 0 interest on it along with cash back from Dodge.  I eat mustangs for lunch in mine without even thinking about it.

Back