Murder Charge Filed In Accident

MPH 200

Donating Member
Registered
Murder

Published: November 04, 2008 10:14 am

Murder charge filed in crash that killed marshal

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — A man whose SUV collided with a motorcycle ridden by an off-duty town marshal then intentionally drove over the fallen lawman, killing him, authorities said Monday.

Craig Toner, 49, the town marshal of Roseland, was riding his motorcycle with his brother in northern Indiana when the SUV crossed the center line about 3:20 p.m. Saturday and hit him head-on.

Witnesses told police that Toner told his brother, “I’m OK,â€￾ and lifted himself up on an elbow, only to be run over.

The driver of the SUV, Alexander Orta of South Bend, was charged Monday with murder, operating a motor vehicle under the influence, and leaving the scene after an accident resulting in death. Police said Orta had cocaine in his system and a portable breath test showed he had been drinking. Orta was being held without bond Monday in the St. Joseph County Jail.

According to a probable cause affidavit, witnesses told police that before the accident Orta was driving erratically and was weaving around cars. Witnesses also said that when Toner was hit, he rolled up onto the hood of the car, hit the windshield and dropped to the ground. Orta got out of his vehicle, saw Toner, and ran over him.

Witnesses said that before he was run over, Toner told Orta that he “wasn’t going anywhere, he had just hit a police officer.â€￾

Orta was arrested after crashing the SUV into a fence and some trees about a half mile away.

According to South Bend television station WSBT, Orta has been arrested 19 times since 2000 for offenses including theft, criminal mischief, public intoxication, vehicle assault and battery.

lock him up and throw away the key!! should have happened before someone had to die.

I sure hope he's found guilty of murder and there's no pleebargon to a lesser charge.Electric chair in this state.

RIP rider

My only question is why was this individual still on the street with 19 previous arrests?

I gues he was never convicted of anything ???

Amen on the murder charge. This is very tragic.

Why waste the space just put him to sleep, let's hope he is found guilty.

This is what we get when we elect liberal judges. That scumbag should never have been out of jail. RIP fellow rider.

Kill that SOB.:rulez:

Are you kidding, And give up the chance to pay for his Room and Board and Cloths and Heat and Air and Cable TV and Public Defenders and Elec. and Water and Whatever else this scumbag might need for the rest of his life in prison.

We cant just simply rid the earth of this Waste of Human Skin can we ?

If it were only that easy.

Just be glad Im not in charge of the legal system, Cut and Dry Cases, Especially child related, Theres a room behind the courthouse where the Guilty party enters but does not exit vertically.

By the way this is just my :2cents:

Fry the guy. Sounds like it's past time to take out the garbage.

--Wag--

This is my hometown man.....it is pretty sad. I know that some people have a problem with the Death Penalty, but I would be more than happy to have a career change. It would not bother me to be an executioner. I will sleep like a baby putting down lowlife trash that has no right walking the earth. I feel very strongly that every human has the right to life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness. If you take away someone's right to live, it is my stance that you have forfited your own right. See ya bye! It is truly sickening to think that something like this could have been prevented from the start! I get so angry about it! What a waste! :unhappy:

Death, he has gotten away with way to much. The system fails us on a regular basis.

Kill 'em......case closed, court dismissed!

Prayers to the friends and family of the fallen rider.

Just be glad Im not in charge of the legal system, Cut and Dry Cases, Especially child related, Theres a room behind the courthouse where the Guilty party enters but does not exit vertically.

By the way this is just my :2cents:

You can't do that because it would make too much sense.

Back