Face murder charges for speeding in ny

no offense to all the GOOD, HONEST, Hard-working LEOS out there-but now there's one less knuckle-head donut-muncher out there...wish he hadnt made the stupid decision to chase a vehicle capable of goin twice as fast as his and lost his life-just for the sake of his family n friends.
But the murder charge??? i see this as typical political BS done by the State to help gain more attention for the case, and for the HP....shows other bikers that they are always wrong, always at fault no matter what even if they were SIX FUGGIN MILES AWAY when accidents occur.....just the same fkd up system showin us love like they always have-which is why I have complete disregard for speed limits on my bike...n if some idiot-cop or not-tries to keep up...well, there's always a fresh casket waiting and lawyers drooling.

i disagree with the vast majority of you all. this is not the complete article but it does seem like he was in a patrol vehicle being he had his lights on. it does not matter that he is "off duty" , if he is driving home in a patrol vehicle he is not "off duty". if he notices a crime taking place (no matter how slight or severe) he can take action, and in many cases expected to take action. so he had every right to activate his lights (& siren) and attempt to stop this vehicle.
i dont buy for one moment that the rider did not know that the trooper was coming after him. as a rider i am always on my game and i know my surroundings, because people are not watching for us, so i pretty much have a good grip on everything that is going on around me at all times.
i think the charge will stick and it probably wont be hard to find him guilty.
some stupid riders out here have made a bad name for the majority of sportbike riders and the public/police consider us to be a danger. (we are all judged for the sins of some) i know some of you may not like what i'm
saying but it's true.
lets just be honest, the majority of riders running from the police are not people on harleys (there're just riding drunk after having too many beers,
all_coholic.gif
 sometimes) it's some idiots on sportbikes that think they are above the law, and dont have to stop when the blue lights come on behind them.
there is a time and place to "open" our bikes up and see what they'll do and how fast they will go, but the place is not the highways that we all have to travel on but instead a track or a dragstrip. then we came crack that throttle wide open to our heart's desire and go for broke.

this same thing happened a month or two ago...did it not? some state trooper in a camero?.... blew a tire while making a u-turn....died .....etc... it was FL though.

lurk.gif

He was chasing a sport bike in an SUV?

Don't they teach them anything about the crap handling of those vehicles?

I wouldn't chase a bicycle in an SUV.

It's almost a daily occurrence in CO that an SUV rolls over in traffic trying to make a rapid direction change.

I've seen them on their roofs on a straight road...

part of the problem is that 'some' seem to think "they are the law" .... and above reproach.
you combine that with an ego / a state issued firearm & the rediculous idea that they won't lie cheat and steal to cover their own arses, so apparently in court their word is not to be questioned'...and you have an instant magalomaniac.

keep in mind that I am speaking of a limited few of the many that I have come to know over the years.
Yes, even a few of my freinds fall into this description.

and FWIW....yes I do have a clean record.

all motor officers ride their bikes home, and are known to make traffic stops on the way.  this does not make them wrong,

if you are off your shift...and you happen to stop anyone with enough witts to think so....then  a lawer would have a fun time with you.

and before this turns to lawer bashing....lol   we wouldn't need friggen bottom feeding lawers if the leagal system worked in the first place....take a bite out of REAL crime like gang violence and corporate theives that steal millions from employees pension funds...

stop busting down doors because a 'thought" them smelled soemthing funny late lastnight.  OR jailing little tommy because after you impounded his car for not coming to a complete stop on that deserted corner at 4AM,  and they found a seed of MJ from deep in the carpet where the previous owner of the car had dropped it.   But now it's in tommy's possession and that's just the way the law reads...

we need a judicial system that actually does something to enhance the life quality of the people that it is meant to protect  

lawyers have tried, and i have been in court when an off duty officer, thirty miles from his city, cited a motorcyclyst for doing 109 on I-15.  the first question out of the lawyers mouth was " but he was from a different city and had no right to stop my client"  a law enforcement officer is a law enforcement officer throughout the state in which he works, not just the city or county he is assigned to.  

and to make such broad statements as the ones above is crazy.  a vehicle cannot be impounded for running a stop sign....sounds like you have had a bad experinece with the law.  yeah, if the driver is unlicensed (or does not have a motorcycle license) then his ride should get towed, because theres a reason he doesnt have a license.  

no, the law is not perfect, but the vast majority of those complaining are the offenders of the law.  something you may deem to be a "minor offense" is still an offense.

In SC the Officer takes all responsibility once they exceed the posted speed limit and/or initiate lights and/or sirens. These are not SUVs you buy locally for your personal use, they're police packages designed to be operated as an emergency vehicle and hopefully the officer is trained and qualified to drive it. Typically officers I'm familiar with do not chase children or bikes. If one goes 10-0 it's normal for the officer to kill lights and noise. My only point about pulling over is the Busa can't out run motorola and you put yourself and others at risk.

A family is ruined, LEO, likely father, uncle, definately son, grandson dead, gone.

Another family being ruined, because someone has to be blamed. Unreal.

Sad.

Don't really think I need to post this being that its all been said before.... Anger from a follow cop or friend dieing is normal.. Throwing the book at the rider as far as traffic violations are concerned ok... Neglecting the fact that the officer made poor judgment in his chase priceless... Cops can't be right all the time they too are human beings... feel for the family..

(slimshady @ Oct. 07 2006,12:41) i disagree with the vast majority of you all. this is not the complete article but it does seem like he was in a patrol vehicle being he had his lights on. it does not matter that he is "off duty" , if he is driving home in a patrol vehicle he is not "off duty". if he notices a crime taking place (no matter how slight or severe) he can take action, and in many cases expected to take action. so he had every right to activate his lights (& siren) and attempt to stop this vehicle.
i dont buy for one moment that the rider did not know that the trooper was coming after him. as a rider i am always on my game and i know my surroundings, because people are not watching for us, so i pretty much have a good grip on everything that is going on around me at all times.
i think the charge will stick and it probably wont be hard to find him guilty.
some stupid riders out here have made a bad name for the majority of sportbike riders and the public/police consider us to be a danger. (we are all judged for the sins of some) i know some of you may not like what i'm
saying but it's true.
lets just be honest, the majority of riders running from the police are not people on harleys (there're just riding drunk after having too many beers,
all_coholic.gif
 sometimes) it's some idiots on sportbikes that think they are above the law, and dont have to stop when the blue lights come on behind them.
there is a time and place to "open" our bikes up and see what they'll do and how fast they will go, but the place is not the highways that we all have to travel on but instead a track or a dragstrip. then we came crack that throttle wide open to our heart's desire and go for broke.
The cop made his choice.. The rider should NOT be sentenced to death because he did not MURDER a cop... Tell me if you are doing one of your so called controlled top end runs where you seem to KNOW where and WHEN to do them and you see lights way back in your mirrors and that cop car blows a tire and pulls over are you going to go back and make sure that cop is ok and that all is ok?!?!?!? I have a family and I don't like the idea of them sharing the road with people who dont give a ****.. BUT If someone I love pass's away because of the stupidity of another in a case like this I would NEVER say he was out to kill my family member...

I have to disagree with everybody on this. There is no way the rider could not of known...you look over your shoulder, see flashing lights, and think 'oh, it's probably something else'.....come on. He saw the SUV and knew he could lose the officer. Simple as that.

First off, an officer is allways an officer. By law they are never 'off-duty'. Secondly, federal law mandates that if you commit a felony and during that felony an officer who is attempting to apprehend you is injured or killed, you can be charged for such. Evading, is a felony.

It's sad that the officer lost his life. My prayers go out to his family for their loss.

if i were a law officer, seen a bike go by at excessive speeds, i would let him go on. i would do this even if i was on or off duty. i would get the best look of the bike possible and wait. one day he would be parked and you would have him. my reasoning for this is the same as this story, give chase someone is going to get hurt or die. let them go and they will slow down. chase them and they will turn the throttle wide open.

Back