Mud flap mod and inspection sticker

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I want to cut my mudflap off and mount the license under the light like a lot of people have done. But, in TX you have to have a current inpsection sticker in plain view. I don't know if it has to be lit, but the license plate does.

Any suggestions? The way it is now, the inspection sticker is on an extended piece of plastic from the license plate holder. It's big and fugly.

At the next inspection, have them put the new sticker on the swing arm...
It is legal to have there and does not require a light, only the plate needs lighting...

David

Why do they complicate things...
in a$$achusetts,they put it on the lic. tag plate...

I recently cut the massive air brake/mud flap off the back and installed one of UNDRPSI's G3 brake caliber plate holders on the right side and then had the inspection sticked put on the left side of the swingarm...I also removed the OEM chain guard and installed a Tiger Racing extended LSR Laser cut aluminum chain guard...

David

My dealer wont put it on my swingarm, so I mounted it behind my plate. I took the license plate frame they gave me and cut off everything but the bottom mounting holes and the sticker. Then I put the trimmed assembly behind the plate so all you see is the sticker below the plate.

My dealer wont put it on my swingarm, so I mounted it behind my plate.  I took the license plate frame they gave me and cut off everything but the bottom mounting holes and the sticker.  Then I put the trimmed assembly behind the plate so all you see is the sticker below the plate.
Screw the Dealer, their idiots and as usual don't have a clue...
Go to a local independent Mom and Pop type bike shop and they will put it on the swing arm...
The DOT only says the sticker must be in plain view, no specific location is stated...

David

I cut off the plastic piece the tag was on and used double sided tape and put it on the frame on the right side just behind and above the swing arm.

This is my 05, the 06 is in the same location.

tag.JPG

Good feedback guys - I've been wondering that myself.

I recently cut my shovel off and want to move the inspection sticker to clean up the rear a little more.

IMG_0904_upload.JPG

I recently cut the massive air brake/mud flap off the back and installed one of UNDRPSI's G3 brake caliber plate holders on the right side and then had the inspection sticked put on the left side of the swingarm...I also removed the OEM chain guard and installed a Tiger Racing extended LSR Laser cut aluminum chain guard...

David
Have you ever been stopped without a problem about the sticker? I ask because I just got this back from the TX Department of Public Safety:

By law, the inspection has to be on the rear of the motorcycle near the
license plate. The goal is to allow the license plate and inspection to
be seen together.

For more information about motorcycling in Texas, check our web page,
www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb. If I can be of any further assistance, call
me at 512/424-2803 or 1-800-292-5787 or email me at
clifton.burdette@txdps.state.tx.us.

Sincerely,

Clif Burdette
Coordinator
DPS Motorcycle Safety Unit

I don't see a clean way to mount both on the rear.

My dealer wont put it on my swingarm, so I mounted it behind my plate.  I took the license plate frame they gave me and cut off everything but the bottom mounting holes and the sticker.  Then I put the trimmed assembly behind the plate so all you see is the sticker below the plate.
Yeah, that might not look bad. When you cut the plastic on the mud flap, did you use a Dremel or tin snips or a saw?

Yeah, that might not look bad.  When you cut the plastic on the mud flap, did you use a Dremel or tin snips or a saw?
I used a Dremel and cut it all off. The mud flap and the excess around the sides. I have swingarm extensions and needed to trim as much as I could to have enough clearance for the tire...

David

Thanks for the pics Toyz and Falcon Tamer. I'd like to put it on the side, but the cops are always looking for an excuse to stop us.

David
Have you ever been stopped without a problem about the sticker?  I ask because I just got this back from the TX Department of Public Safety:

By law, the inspection has to be on the rear of the motorcycle near the
license plate.  The goal is to allow the license plate and inspection to
be seen together.

For more information about motorcycling in Texas, check our web page,
www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb.  If I can be of any further assistance, call
me at 512/424-2803 or 1-800-292-5787 or email me at
clifton.burdette@txdps.state.tx.us.

Sincerely,

Clif Burdette
Coordinator
DPS Motorcycle Safety Unit

I don't see a clean way to mount both on the rear.
Thats the question, right...
It only says the plate must be on the rear of the bike...
It does not say in the middle or sides...
So you can use a tag holder on the rear axle oand put the sticker near it, on the swingarm, and still be okay...It's kind of vague either way..
Open to interpretation...
So if stopped, just be polite, hand em all your info, and keep smiling...

David

Yeah, that might not look bad.  When you cut the plastic on the mud flap, did you use a Dremel or tin snips or a saw?
I used a saw but any of them will work. You can use sand paper to smooth out the rest of the plastic if you missed a little.

My dealer wont put it on my swingarm, so I mounted it behind my plate. I took the license plate frame they gave me and cut off everything but the bottom mounting holes and the sticker. Then I put the trimmed assembly behind the plate so all you see is the sticker below the plate.
Yeah, that might not look bad. When you cut the plastic on the mud flap, did you use a Dremel or tin snips or a saw?
I used a saw but any of them will work. You can use sand paper to smooth out the rest of the plastic if you missed a little.
I used a Dremel and random orbital sander- started with 120 grit to 400 grit. Was 45 min. job start to finish and is smooth as a baby's bottom!

I'd say at least 70% of the guys i ride with around here dont even have their sticker displayed. Mine has been in my "trunk" for the last 6 months and ive had 3 or 4 cops ride my back end for a while and havent gotten pulled over. I know a guy that made a sheetmetal plate like the one i made for my DOD sticker and mounted his on the right fork. I have to get mine inspected this month and have been wondering if they will just give me the sticker to put on the bike myself or not.

Back