Pictures of my inexpensive undertail

mikeyusf

Registered
Alright, here is some pictures of my undertail I fixed. It looks great, and I get tons of compliments. Here is what I needed to get-

A license plate light (I got it from discount auto for about $8)
A dremel tool or SawZall
A soldering iron or hot-tip poker
Some small bolts
tail light integrator
the stock license plate holder

It was pretty easy, took about 6 hours to do, and cost about $60 ($50 for integrator, $10 for light). It makes it easier if you have a center stand.

1) I carefully removed the license plate cover, and removed the turn signals. I pulled the wires out of the turn signals, instead of snipping them, to make sure I had maximum amount of lead.

2) I began cutting around the mudflap, carefully watching what I was doing (make sure you wear goggles, hot plastic hitting your eyes if NOT cool)

3) after cutting the mudflap, I removed the tail section, this was not easy, because of the little plastic screws, and removing the trunk cable.

4) carefully installed the integrator, making sure to check every connection as I went along

5) I got under the bike, and with one hand I held the license plate cover, and with the other I would poke a hole through the plastic to mount my screws. I installed the license plate holder first, then I installed the light.

6) ran the light wires and joined them with the old license plate light under the tail light (basically shutting off the little white light)

7) reinstalled the tail section and plugged everything back in

I think it looks awesome. The license plate is well hidden, but can be seen from directly behind the bike. I bent the plate slightly down so the light would shine on it better

Here are the pics, tell me what you think. Email me at gsxrmike@tampabay.rr.com if you have any questions, or AIM me at mikeyusf

Mike

DSC00586.JPG

You're gonna get into trouble for that last one. We generally don't do those kind of pics here...thought you knew.

pretty nice pose mikey, how did you get someone to hold the camera for you??

please refrain from any nude materials on this board.
beerchug.gif

the cops give us a hard time about the plate's being up in the fender like that.... hope you city's laws are different...

Looks nice! We can have our plates like that in Cali as long as there's a light on it.

hate to say it, but what was the last pic? I wanna see it!

does that make me a bad person?

Back