Who has their Motorcyle License?

• Yes I have it and ride.

Votes: 80 96.4%
  • Nope, don't have it and still ride.

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

GNBRETT

Registered
Surprisingly I know quite a few people that have never got their motorcycle license yet have been riding for many years if not dcades.

In Connecticut after 2011 it's mandatory to take the rider safety course witch is (3) days long and cost $200. I know most states dont require that but was wondering what percentage of riders here actually have their motorcycle license.

I have taken the MSF course twice, once in Oklahoma and once in California. I carry a class A license and do have my M endorsement.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

no way around it for me being in the military, had my license since the 80's :)

I have the endorsement, they don't play here if you get caught riding without it arrest or PTA ( Promise to appear) and impounding of vehicle. Even if you riding with a valid DL.

Did the MSF course in Florida and got the endorsment about 1 month before it became mandatory. Still would have taken it even if it was still optional.

Alot of guys just try to get away with the learners permit on sport bikes because depending on the state the driving test is almost impossible to do on a sportbike.

I have the endorsement, they don't play here if you get caught riding without it arrest or PTA ( Promise to appear) and impounding of vehicle. Even if you riding with a valid DL.

Same here, since I was 18 but obtained it in NYS. The state of Florida is now one that requires the MSF course in order to be legal and endorsed. Very little wiggle room here if you are pulled and do not have. Don't know what took them so long to get on the program? Yes it costs $250 and 2 days time, but it educates,
enlightens and saves lives. Win-win in my book!:thumbsup:

Alot of guys just try to get away with the learners permit on sport bikes because depending on the state the driving test is almost impossible to do on a sportbike.

I past the skills test on my sportbike and if you know how to ride I am pretty sure any states test can be done on one.

when my buddy got his this year there was a girl there that failed previously and they allowed her to take the entire course again on a scooter when she failed on a MC??? she had to pay the full $200 again as well. it allowed her to pass and get her license but if u cant ride thru a few cones on a 250cc bike without failing then u probably shouldnt be on a MC period....:whistle:

I will say that its a PITA to actually schedule a class from what I have heard. since its mandatory here the waiting list is so long that DMV doesnt have enough locations to accomodate everyone. I know of one guy that had to wait 6 months to get in. and at $200 its no wonder many ppl around here just opt not to do it. DMV makes it madatory yet fails to provide adequate testing sites. typical DMV mindset.:whistle:

I have a friend that is an instructor that teaches these classes and he was actually against it being mandatory. he tells me that before it was required the ppl chosing to take the course actually wanted to be there and had good attitudes. now he states many ppl get a hair accross their ass and have the mindset that I dont need this class to ride cause ive been riding for years already either on a permit or with nothing at all. whatever.

personally I think it was just another way for DMV to screw the ppl of Connecticut and TAX them on something else....:whistle: but then again you need to take a course to get ur operators license so why not a MC license. I think many are under the mindset that operating a car is harder then riding a MC. I would say that is false.

although the insurance companies do offer discounts for those that have taken the MSG course so that alone is worth taking it I guess.

Never understood riding or driving without a license. Ultimately, it's WAY more expensive and time consuming to get caught riding w/o a license than to ride with one.

Took my written test and passed my road course on a gsxr750 in New Jersey. If you cant pass it you shouldnt ride a sport bike PERIOD!

Took my written test and passed my road course on a gsxr750 in New Jersey. If you cant pass it you shouldnt ride a sport bike PERIOD!
agreed. the MSF here requires you to use one of their bikes tho. DMV does not administer the practical exam any longer but u still hav to pass the written at DMV. and jersey is one of the harder places to get a MC license.

my buddy lives down there and states quite a few ppl failed when he took it a few years ago. and he said most ppl there had rented scooters including himself. I called him a big panzy for doin that....:whistle: of course he laid it down in a parking lot a couple months later and destroyed it. apparently he wasnt ready to ride a sport bike.???

agreed. the MSF here requires you to use one of their bikes tho. DMV does not administer the practical exam any longer but u still hav to pass the written at DMV. and jersey is one of the harder places to get a MC license.

my buddy lives down there and states quite a few ppl failed when he took it a few years ago. and he said most ppl there had rented scooters including himself. I called him a big panzy for doin that....:whistle: of course he laid it down in a parking lot a couple months later and destroyed it. apparently he wasnt ready to ride a sport bike.???

Exactly!!
Your not going to ride a sissy 50CC scooter so why take your test on one? :dunno:
I remember the instructor asking "are you really going to take your test on that" (pointing at a brand new GSXR750)
The course involved a figure 8, cones, riding in between 2 white narrow lines up a hill and back down a hill and other challenges.
Passed it and pulled out on to Route1 in Trenton NJ and stood it up on the back wheel happy as Ralphy when he opened up his Red Ryder BB Gun on Christmas morning :cheerleader: The rest is history!:beerchug:

thats funny but it does feel good to be legit. its just one less thing to think about. a lot of Harley riders around here have no license but they dont usually get stopped by the police either.

my buddy said the first time he took the riding course in jersey he failed the figure 8 on his GSXR 600:rofl: and then chickened out the next time and rented the scooter. I will never let him live that down....:rofl:

he fell into the typical rider who crashes within the first 3-6 months of riding. but he never rode when he was younger. I think those with previous dirt bike or sled experience dont usually go down unless someone strikes them or some other unforseen situation.

check this out: when i was 18 i had a Kawasaki csr 650 and no motorcycle dl. i did have a car dl. one day i took it out for some road time right around my house. a cop passed me and turned around. i did have a helmet but no eye protection. no plates, no ins. so he kicked on the lights and pulled me over. i was crapping my pants.he asked me for DL and ins told him I didn't have it and my wallet is in my car. he said I pulled you over for no eye protection. then seen no plates. I told him I was wanting to get my DL but have no friends to ride with. he told me get in the car and drove me to my house to check my car DL. he checked it out and said grab your pick up and go get the bike. and said do it the right way and dont let me catch you doing this again.
what a break!!!!
it was about a 10,000 dollar fine for no ins alone

The driving exams are not universal nationwide. Some have you weave in and out of cones and demonstrate proper turning and braking, piece of cake. The state my buddy is from they wanted him to do 4 figure 8's in a 8x10 square. You can't go outside the lines and your foot can only touch the ground twice or you fail. I'm not gonna say its impossible too do but he drew out the measurements in a parking lot and he was unable to do it on his sportbike. He said the turning radius was too wide. He then went and got his grandpa's yamaha virago and did figure 8's within the box for 5 minutes straight.... Again I'm not saying its impossible but a lot of the exams are tailored more towards cruisers which will make it a whole lot easier to pass on a harley rather than a busa

In Fla. It's a 3rd degree felony to ride without an endorsement. The test at the DMV is a *itch to pass. Not many can pass it on their best day. 70% fail rate.

I failed my first time. Went and researched this a little. Discovered you didn't have to pass it on your vehicle, you just had to pass it on a vehicle that was over 50cc. So I went and rented a 150cc moped for a day. There were about 15 there that day. We all watched as the first 3 failed. I was up next. Passed with zero points deducted. I rented that bike for $25 each to 5 guys that saw the impending disaster they faced. They all passed and I made $75 that day. LOL.

Back