Death Rate in Overdrive "Alarming"

I also fit into that profile . I'm over 40 and my Busa is my first Superbike. I was a little wary at first but now that I learned to handle the power and stay away from sand , leaves and gravel my only real concern while riding is other motorist. I have a CDL and I get safety drilled into my head with a laser bit on a constant basis . The thing is living in Florida there is a lot of time to ride but its all flat . Hardly and inclines or twisties so how is one to improve on real riding skills when the steepest slope you might find is an off ramp?

Go to Jennings, Fl on track day... Need to go there myself to accomplish the same thing, build skills in non flat non straight areas in a safe environment with some coaching from pro.
wink.gif

Thrasherfox posted this same article over on "Random Thoughts" comments here very similar to those.....

I also think that bikes are growing in poplarity in general. I would like to see the number of bikes sold in 2003 vs sold in 1994. I bet 2003 put A LOT more bikes on the road.

I may be wrong, but there seems to be many more bikers these days....

What do you guys think? Anyone know how to research this?

Alcohol is alcohol. If i'm going to jump on a busa or any bike that requires me to concentrate just to stay upright. .015% of a compromise in my judgement is still a compromise. When i'm on the road...It's never "all fun and games" it's always "You against the minivan with the 5 screaming kids, the raged cage busa hater who couldn't afford one, the 95 year old who's focus is more narrow on the road ahead then my highbeams, the big rig purposely attempting to throw rocks in my path and finally the guy who keeps trying to stay in front of me with his damn "live hard, brake hard" bumper sticker.

I need all the judgment speed I can get.

I have been riding since I was 8 years old, I am now 36 so I have some experiance; nock on wood I have never laid down a street bike; not to save I never will, but I have learned some good lessons from when I was younger.

I do remeber on a 4th of july I wanted to show off for some hottie neighborhood girls, well I was drinking southern comfort, and thought it would be nice to take all my clothes off and do some wheelies up and down the street for them, well they liked it; then I thought I would take a ride down a main street with no clothes on, well so I did, the only thing I could think of was how I was going to explain this to a cop, A naked drunk man on a motorcycle.
well I made it home safe.
But I do look back at my younger days and wounder how am I still alive.

So I don't drink and drive now and only did it once, but I have tought my self alot from being younger.

So any one else wounder how they are alive from their Childhood?

If the media wants to hype up the crash results, they should also post the buying/rider trends. More motorcycles on the road = more motorcycle wrecks. The crash percentage has gone down, because the rider population has gone way up! I made it to 34 (riding for about 19 years now on street and off-road) I have also out-lived a few of my friends that used to tell me I was crazy. I may have done a few crazy things, but I stayed away from "Pure Stupidity" (like getting drunk and rope-swing jumping into a shallow lake, and getting paralyzed from the waist down because he said he didn't need to check the landing spot he "knew" the lake well). They were seen as the "safe ones" and a couple of them died doing very stupid things (Like drinking and driving/riding).

Sorry. I got off on a tangent. I'm back now.

beerchug.gif

I have seen this many times, where someone was not riding during the family years. In other words they sell the bike then get back in the saddle after 20+ years of raising a family or career. I strongly believe before they get back in the seat they need to take a refresher course like the MSF Course. It is a great eye opener to learn where your level is at after all those years of absent riding. The MSF course is also a great warm up tool, get you used to riding again before you make that big purchase. I have seen in my class a high rise in middle age individuals all returning to bikes. Remember safety skills are perishable, if not practiced they will deteriorate over time. So taking the first step in safety before picking up that new big bore bike, in my opinion, is a great choice.

Dave (Coach)

Back