Military MC Safety Course requirements

rdx4me

Registered
Just got this info passed today. Glad I'm retired & hope like hell they don't try pushing this on us...

Florida recentley added the requirement for the Basic MC Safety Course to get an MC license but in order to ride on base it's been required for years.

This is to combat the rising number of Active Duty deaths involving motorcycles, especially sportbikes.

IAW REF NAVADMIN 079/09 DTG. 041845ZNOV08//, MOTORCYCLE RIDERS ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE NOT ONLY THE BASIC RIDER COURSE, BUT ALSO INTERMEDIATE LEVEL MOTORCYCLE TRAINING. SPORT BIKE RIDERS MUST ENROLL IN THE MILITARY SPORT BIKE RIDERS COURSE (MSRC) AND OUR CRUISER RIDERS MUST COMPLETE THE EXPERIENCED RIDER COURSE. THESE COURSES ARE MANDATORY. ADDITIONALLY, THOSE MOTORCYCLISTS WHO HAVEN'T COMPLETED A MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE IN OVER THREE YEARS MUST ENROLL IN APPROPRIATE REFRESHER TRAINING.

I guess it is there for a purpose and I guess when you sign the dotted line on enlistment that gives them to right to order just about anything ???

I for one think safety courses should be required for everyone that rides. There are too many people that go out and buy a bike without having a clue about how to operate it.

This has been around for a few months now. They have been giving the course here at Norfolk since last fall. I am working to get certified to teach it on top of the BRC. It is probably a good idea and I have heard very good things from service members who have taken the course.

I have only taken the BRC so far and am glad I did. Even with all the years of riding, I was shown some stuff I was doing wrong. Very good thing to have. I would also recommend for everyone to take it. Also got my endorsment w/out having to take the written or road test.:thumbsup:
SilverSurfer- my brother has taken the sportbike class in Norfolk a couple times now. If you get on doing that, let me know and when I come home to visit, I'll see if I can get enrolled in your class.

Back