Death Rate in Overdrive "Alarming"

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Death rate in overdrive for older motorcyclists
Safety experts blame inexperience, age, big engines

The danger: Experts suspect many are buying bigger bikes than they can handle.

Brushing up: Regardless of age, experts say riders should take motorcycle-safety refresher courses.

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- Mike Cullinan made a midlife course correction, breaking up with his girlfriend and buying himself a big Harley-Davidson motorcycle: a 620-pound Dyna Low Rider with a 1,450-cc, fuel-injected engine.

Lots of baby boomers and middle-aged Americans like the 38-year-old Cullinan are getting motorcycles, whether to recapture their lost youth or pull through some kind of midlife crisis.

And now, as a result, riders 40 and over are accounting for an alarming number of motorcycling deaths.

Safety experts suspect older riders with a lot of disposable income are buying more machine than their aging, out-of-practice bodies can handle.

Across the country, the annual number of motorcycle fatalities among 40-plus riders tripled over the past decade to 1,674 in 2003, while deaths among riders under 30 dropped slightly to 1,161, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

According to NHTSA, the average age of motorcyclists killed in accidents rose from 32 in 1994 to 38 in 2003.

"It's really kind of astonishing. The ages of these fatalities are so high. You would think it would be all of the young kids on those fast bikes, but it's not," said Carl Hallman, highway safety coordinator with the Maine Department of Public Safety.

The surge in deaths among older riders helped to push motorcycle fatalities higher overall. They jumped by nearly half during the past five years, from 2,483 in 1999 to 3,661 in 2003.

In Maine, 22 people were killed on motorcycles in 2004, the highest level in a decade. In New Hampshire, 29 died, versus nine the year before. In Vermont, there were 11 fatal crashes, more than in the three previous years combined.

In all three states, riders in their 30s and older accounted for the most crashes.

"From a career standpoint, they have a little extra time and a little extra disposable income. The kids have grown up, so they're looking for hobbies," said Rae Tyson, a NHTSA spokesman who specializes in motorcycle safety.

As for why so many riders in their 40s, 50s and beyond are dying, big, powerful bikes appear to be part of the explanation. NHTSA data show that both engine size and deaths among riders with the largest class of engines rose during the past decade.

NHTSA figures also show that riders in their 30s and 40s who died were more likely than their younger counterparts to have been drinking.
Rusty or unskilled riders

In addition, safety experts say many older riders are either returning to motorcycling after many years or are trying it for the first time.

"They haven't ridden in 20 or 30 years, so their skills are rusty. Motorcycles have changed, and they're getting bigger motorcycles. And they're getting on without a refresher course," said Cathy Rimm, program director for Motorcycle Rider Education of Maine, a nonprofit organization that offers safety training.

Finally, safety officials point out that older riders' eyesight and reflexes are not what they once were.

"In our experienced-rider courses, we do take into account the way your body changes, that your reaction time will change and that your eyesight will change. There are changes older riders should make," said Mike Mount, spokesman for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation in Irvine, California.

Cullinan, a repair shop manager from Standish, had not ridden for 15 years, and his life underwent a big change when he broke off a relationship. He spent more than $18,000 on his black low rider with chrome.

"I went for the largest bike I could handle, or that I hope I can handle," he said.

Though Maine and many other states require classes for new riders to get motorcycle licenses, there are no such requirements for a license holder who decides to get on a bike for the first time in decades. No state requires continuing periodic education, said Kathy Van Kleeck of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Cullinan said his eyes were opened by the statistics. He has bought a helmet, which is not required in Maine, and is taking a refresher course this winter.

"I'm hoping I will learn something that'll make me safer," he said. "I'll be riding this spring and summer with my eyes open."

I read that article in the paper this morning. I definately fit the profile, having turned 50 a couple of weeks ago. Many years experience riding big bikes, but the Busa is my first Sport model.

I read that article in the paper this morning. I definately fit the profile, having turned 50 a couple of weeks ago. Many years experience riding big bikes, but the Busa is my first Sport model.
Yeah But, really the problem isn't age, it's the LONG break from riding, then going and Buying a Busa that would be suicide.

You have recently been riding the big cruisers, so while the Hayabusa is definitely a different experiance, the BASIC survival skills and habbits are still fresh and current, it's a lack of these basics, that are deadly in my opinion.

the BASIC survival skills and habbits are still fresh and current, it's a lack of these basics, that are deadly in my opinion.
I agree 100%. It's these dudes that have never ridden before. They've never owned a dirt bike or a smaller street bike and all of a sudden they are in a position to purchase a harley and they wanna be like their buds who ride.

So off they go with no real concept of riding safely.....it's no damn wonder the death toll is going up. They aren't experienced enough to handle their bike, let alone to handle their bike in traffic.

It'll get worse before it gets any better.

I stopped riding in 85 after riding from the age of 13 ...So 20 years later i have three bikes..79 cbx,2005 zxr1200r and my Busa..I guess i fit that profile too..
I can tell you when i got the CBX i was a little shakey riding the bike ...I had to relearn how to ride all over again...The Busa power doesn't bother me at all , I was schooled on fast drag bikes..What gets me is the cars around me and other bike riders... I had forgot many riding tricks or skills dealing with traffic .. I know i have lost some reflexs over the last 20 years and i think knowing that is going to keep me safer... You have to know your limmits ..I feel in time i will be able to get most of my skills back, it may take some time but i can tell i have impoved in just the last 10 weeks or so ...I think a good rider class would still be a big help for most of us, young and old ... I'm 48 years old and hoping to make it a lot longer...Lee..

That article has some good points but I think it's a lot of drama hype too.

I think they need to take a total ratio of how many motorcyclists there were in '95 vs. '05.

The population grows more every year so it only makes sense more people will be purchasing bikes as time goes on.

The hardley fad took over in the late 90's and younger people don't typically buy hardleys. Looking in the classifieds back in the 80's and early 90's you might see a handful of hardley's for sale compared to 100's of jap bikes. Today hardleys have outnumbered all the "other" bikes combined. They've completely flooded the market and they are mostly owned by the 30 and up crowd.
Credit is so easy to get these days practically anyone in that age bracket can buy a $20K hardley and boost their image (in their own mind of course).

On the other hand, can the number of younger riders be dropping? Yeah I see packs of young squids every so often on sport bikes, but I don't see the same vast array of young people on cheap used bikes anymore.
It is 2005 and the latest 600 bike is a fashion statement which the average kid can not afford (hell most can't even afford the insurance at that age). I'd bet many that would like to ride never get into the sport because they can't afford the latest and greatest and would be made fun of by their peers if they bought anything less.
Wasn't that way in the 80's when everyone I knew including myself started out on old small displacement bikes from the 70's. In highschool I had a 1976 CB360T and everybody thought it was the coolest thing in the world.
What would a kid go through today if he rode up on a ratty old EX500 while all his rich classmates are riding the latest 600 and 1K bikes to school (that mommy and daddy paid for)?

I just think there are a lot of factors out there that change with time and a 40 year old guy isn't at any more risk today than he would have been in the 70's, 80's or 90's.
Simply comes down to there being a helluva lot more 40 somethings on the road today than teens and 20 year olds.

I think most of the fatalities that I see are older Harley Riders(new to the sport or not) who travel tavern to tavern, no helmet and think they're not buzzed. I see many people at the local 'bike nights" who are waiting to become a statistic. I watch many of them throwing down one after another, then cilimbing on their Harley's and riding off like they're on drag bikes.

I've also wondered if these establishments aren't setting themselves up for lawsuits when they offer beer at reduced prices just to draw the Harley crowd in. Many sportbikes do show up for these events but it seems most stick with water or tea.
Like I said.....most......I have seen other sportbike riders drink and drive.
Let me ask..........Do many of you drink and then go riding?

I've also wondered if these establishments aren't setting themselves up for lawsuits when they offer beer at reduced prices just to draw the Harley crowd in. Many sportbikes do show up for these events but it seems most stick with water or tea.
Very good point. The local Hooters has bike nights. If you ride in on a bike the beer is dirt cheap, crazy when you think about it. At least they give you 10 wings free when you buy 10
smile.gif

I'd never get on a bike even after 1 beer. Actually I rarely touch alcohol and one beer is enough to set off a buzz.

Booze and Bikes Definately do not go together! Many good points raised so far. I would like to add something. I ride a minimum of 2 blocks ahead. Most times I average 4. Therefore I have very few "surprises" I also practice evasive manuevers while traveling. I make sure traffic is light enough to practice in safety then I set a goal and a plan. at the third bush, an imaginary car is gonna dart in front of me... I know it sounds dumb but it saved my 36 year old butt! 2am cruising on the Harley coming home from a bike night. cage in left turn lane with left signal blinking at green light turns right thru 2 lanes in between myself and my buddy ahead of me riding 3 bike lengths apart on his 12. Long story short, I was sideways and right jean pant leg cleaned a spot on her rear bumper but i managed to drive around the car and out of the slide. Practice saves lives. "Used to's" kill
sad.gif

Well said everyone....Local bike nite here they hand out beer like coolaid to 3 year old kiddies.. They all leave drunk and the cops are parked at the exit and do nothing! I'm talking 1000 bikes and not one DUI !!! Tonight i got caught in the rain on the way home from bike night and a harley guy followed me most of the way home ...Get this> No helmet,Jacket, glasses and no gloves but i bet he had a six pack in his belly..Lee..

NEVER.... I might hae a drink or two and drive my car. knowing full well I am NOT "Drunk". But I am also NOT at 100%, I can safely drive, but there is no way I'd want to be riding... Make sense?

So when I am on two wheels there is NO WAY IN HELL, I am having even a fuggin sip. Because like it or not, even the tiny little bit in a single beer is enough to "EFFECT" your skills. You may not be buzzed, but your no longer 100%...

double post

<!--EDIT|BA BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106466325 -->

I took a few years off riding went I got married. When I started riding again it was on a ZR-7S Kaw. Not too big, but big on fun. I rode that bike for a few months to get my skills retuned. I sold that and bought my Busa in October. I'm taking an MSF course next spring to get the scoop on new techniques and best practices. I rather NOT become a statistic because of my own lack of actions.
wink.gif

Yes we need to see the whole picture not just what the media wants us to see. Yes crashes are up 50 to 100% but bike purchases are up that much as well. The media won't tell you that though. Most importantly is the fact the most are drinking, well one or two won't hurt. BULL SH##!! Plus threre's only two groups of riders, those that have crashed and those that will.

it's probably not so much the bike riders fault but more likely the idiots out there in cars and suv's-from what i see the worse drivers are the girls 18-25---------

I helped 17 people pull their bikes back up the mountain side last year,, all their fault, no cars, no nothing, just riding outside thier ability, trying to keep up with others inside thier ability

Back