Motorcycle Safety Topic

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
For all the Florida and Non Florida riders there are going to be some law changes.

Come 2008 in Florida you will be required to have a motorcycle endorsement in order to register a motorcycle. As it stands now you do not need to have an endorsment to purchase/register a bike in your name.

Come 2008, if you do not have a motorcycle endorsement, you will be required to take the 3 day MSF basic riders course or the 1 day experienced riders course in order to get your endorsement. No longer will the DMV handle testing. As it stands now you can go to the DMV and take the 10 min road test, (which by the way a lot, and I mean a lot, of people fail) and get your endorsement. Those under the age of 21 must take the Basic Riders course with exception.

Come 2008 all riders under the age of 21 must have a special motorcycle license plate, showing they are under 21. Due to the changes in the Florida Helmet law (see my other safety posts) those under 21 must wear a DOT approved helmet, since Law Enforcement can not pull you over without cause if your not wearing a helmet there is no way at the current time to determine if someone is under the age of 21 when they ride without a helmet. This will fix it. If someone under the age of 21 gets caught riding a motorcycle with out the under 21 license plate the owner and rider will both be prosecuted. Owner may loose there bike. So no longer can someone else, over 21, buy a motorcycle for someone under 21 and register it in there name.

Welcome to Florida
biggrin.gif

Keep in mind if this works for Florida, it may work for other states so keep up with your state laws and make sure your riding with in them.

I find myself in agreement with most of these changes~ The only one I don't care for, and please don't take it personaly Dave, is the MSF thing~ I, by all means, think this is a great course and should be taken... but to tell someone they have to spend up to $200. in order to get thier endorsment just doesn't seem right~ Few bucks more and you can get a pilots license, for crying out loud~ OK... so that may be an exageration there, but you get what I'm saying~

Can't say any of those changes bother me either...

Without starting a war here, I do find it ironic that they're bending over backwards here yet still have the "no helmet needed" law intact if you're over 21...just saying...  
wink.gif

(VaBusa @ Mar. 08 2007,15:04) Can't say any of those changes bother me either...

Without starting a war here, I do find it ironic that they're bending over backwards here yet still have the "no helmet needed" law intact if you're over 21...just saying...  
wink.gif

It's a pro-choice thing~ If you're old enough to take responsibility for your actions, you should be able to choose if you want to wear it or not~ There are times I choose not to wear mine... on a short trip around the block or listening to my Street Princess after modding something mechanical~ Even then I have LadyHawk blowing me an ear full before I get out of the garage! So, yeah, I think it should be a matter of personal preference~ Owning a Dane (with tail still fully intact)... I'm sure you know what I mean when I say I would prefer my male company wear a cup when visiting, but I can't force them too~ If they want to take the chance on being dropped to their knees in tears... that's their perogative!  
laugh.gif

(GJoker @ Mar. 08 2007,15:23)
(VaBusa @ Mar. 08 2007,15:04) Can't say any of those changes bother me either...

wink.gif

It's a pro-choice thing~ If you're old enough to take responsibility for your actions, you should be able to choose if you want to wear it or not~ There are times I choose not to wear mine... on a short trip around the block or listening to my Street Princess after modding something mechanical~ Even then I have LadyHawk blowing me an ear full before I get out of the garage! So, yeah, I think it should be a matter of personal preference~ Owning a Dane (with tail still fully intact)... I'm sure you know what I mean when I say I would prefer my male company wear a cup when visiting, but I can't force them too~ If they want to take the chance on being dropped to their knees in tears... that's their perogative!  
laugh.gif
Hence my initial comments about "without starting a war"  
wink.gif

...just find it funny that they're now bending over backwards to better protect those under 21, yet there's still that freedom of choice over the old noggin' protection...just a bit ironic...feels like that long list of changes should be going on HERE in VA and not in FL where the laws have been more about freedom of choice, that's all...  
smile.gif

Remember, I ride with a guy that would never put on another helmet if VA retracted that law LOL  

Down doggie!  
laugh.gif
 Ruff!

wink.gif

laugh.gif

Agree w/ most of that as well except the MSF thing.  I took the DMV road test - quick and fairly easy...been riding on/off since 11 years old so I didn't want/need to dish out the ca$h for the MSF course.

Also, they should make the rider take the final test on the bike they own and will be riding full time.  Doesn't seem right to test on a 125cc bike then ride a Busa as your bike on the public streets. I did the DMV test on my Busa...not easy unless you have a decent amount of riding experience.

(Bokey @ Mar. 08 2007,15:11) $200 to possibly save a life = priceless
True dat... and the same can be, and has been, said about the price of a quality lid (talkin helmets here)~ Although being told you have to spend that much to add an endorsment to your, what is these days?, $25. D/L so you can ride a motorcycle is just not right... in my opinion~ Why not just teach motorcycle education along with drivers education in high school? Telling people they have to take the course in order to obtain a motorcycle license also drives up the demand for the course~ I'm sure we all know what happens when the demand on any product rises~ Now the MSF owners have opertunity to raise those prices even more... and I'm pretty sure they will~
wink.gif

The MSF course I took was $85 and that was considered high for the area; there were cheaper courses, but I think you had to have your own motorcycle...

$200?!
wow.gif

(VaBusa @ Mar. 08 2007,15:30)

wink.gif

laugh.gif
wink.gif

...just find it funny that they're now bending over backwards to better protect those under 21, yet there's still that freedom of choice over the old noggin' protection...just a bit ironic...feels like that long list of changes should be going on HERE in VA and not in FL where the laws have been more about freedom of choice, that's all...  
smile.gif

Remember, I ride with a guy that would never put on another helmet if VA retracted that law LOL  

Down doggie!  
laugh.gif
 Ruff!
I hear ya... and I do understand where you're coming from~ In all actuallity, and correct me if I'm off here Coach, the way it is in FL now is that if you're under age you DO have to wear a helmet.. and if you are of age you have to keep at least 10k in liability insurance to NOT ride with a helmet~ I've yet to hear of anyone being pulled over and checked on the insurance thing when riding without one, but this would also fall into the probable cause thing~ So lathough we do kinda have a choice here, we still have to carry the insurance (which is not a demand on motorcycles here unless a bank holds your title and wants to protect their investment) to have the right to choose not to wear it~ So basically, they're not just now bending over backards to protect or kids... they're just trying to make it easier to spot them so they don't need that probable cause to pull them over~
wink.gif

The MSF is anywhere from $145. on up around these parts... the one LadyHawk did was $195., but we one raffle on it for half price~
biggrin.gif

No wars... just venting my opinions here~
tounge.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif

wink.gif

(GJoker @ Mar. 08 2007,07:58) I hear ya... and I do understand where you're coming from~ In all actuallity, and correct me if I'm off here Coach, the way it is in FL now is that if you're under age you DO have to wear a helmet.. and if you are of age you have to keep at least 10k in liability insurance to NOT ride with a helmet~ I've yet to hear of anyone being pulled over and checked on the insurance thing when riding without one, but this would also fall into the probable cause thing~ So lathough we do kinda have a choice here, we still have to carry the insurance (which is not a demand on motorcycles here unless a bank holds your title and wants to protect their investment) to have the right to choose not to wear it~ So basically, they're not just now bending over backards to protect or kids... they're just trying to make it easier to spot them so they don't need that probable cause to pull them over~  
wink.gif

The MSF is anywhere from $145. on up around these parts... the one LadyHawk did was $195., but we one raffle on it for half price~  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
You are spot on about the helmet laws, you must carry 10k in medical insurance or PIP that will injuries that result from a crash, and if under 21 you must wear a DOT approved helmet.

I do want to clarify one thing about the cost of the school. They range anywhere form $125-$250 in Florida $300+ if you take the Harley Davidson Version of the Course. Florida used to be a lot cheaper for the classes, but due to law makers taking money away from the Florida Rider Training Program (FRTP) they had to jack up the cost of the class. FRTP used to give the schools a certain stipend for each student that went thru to keep the costs down for the class and allowed to school to stay cover the costs to operate. After paying for the rider coaches, insurance for the students, materials for the class, Gas, bike maint., and range rental there is not a lot left over.

Other states are more involved with their motorcycle training programs and offer more incentive towards the school. Hence VA being $85 for the class.

I’ve heard some schools are FREE in certain states.

You probably will not see an increase in cost of the schools but you will see an increase school locations. During a last FRTP meeting that was brought up and there will be no gouging. Good thing for the Riders bad for the Rider coaches (NO RAISE
laugh.gif
)

Just to throw my .02 in there on the helmet thing, if you ride without a helmet, it’s your choice, you should be an organ donor, just in case..
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I think the laws look great. I do not believe that a helmet (over 21) should be forced on anyone, but wouldn't choose to NOT wear one myself, but that is my choice. As for the course. It was required to be taken if you were under 18 in Illinois when I took mine and it was FREE. I watched a bunch of guys taking it that were caught riding without the endorsements as punishment (Harley guys) and they failed.

(GJoker @ Mar. 08 2007,15:58)
(VaBusa @ Mar. 08 2007,15:30)

Down doggie! Ruff!
I hear ya... and I do understand where you're coming from~ In all actuallity, and correct me if I'm off here Coach, the way it is in FL now is that if you're under age you DO have to wear a helmet.. and if you are of age you have to keep at least 10k in liability insurance to NOT ride with a helmet~ I've yet to hear of anyone being pulled over and checked on the insurance thing when riding without one, but this would also fall into the probable cause thing~ So lathough we do kinda have a choice here, we still have to carry the insurance (which is not a demand on motorcycles here unless a bank holds your title and wants to protect their investment) to have the right to choose not to wear it~ So basically, they're not just now bending over backards to protect or kids... they're just trying to make it easier to spot them so they don't need that probable cause to pull them over~
tounge.gif
I'm all for but it makes no sense to not wear, but as long as I'm not paying for all the lawsuits when I pay my insurance bill fine. I'm not sure that's the case.

I go DOT and SNELL, full face baby, full body armor too. I've come across to many dumbazz cagers.

And what about this Topic? Last post was in 07.. I hope more of you visit this page,site, thread, and give others some more updated info.. Its a must, so take the time.. It could save ur @ss one day.. Safety :rulez: Are they still in effect???:poke:

Back