MOTO NEWS TAKE ON THE GEN 3. DAMNING WITHOUT FAINT PRAISE

Walris

Registered
574667ed680c957857c96de613787c4e21f65ffdce3f1d6648.jpg
The Last Samurai - 2022 Suzuki Hayabusa
Suzuki just announced the most powerful motorcycle in the world, the new Hayabusa. Ahhh, scratch that, it's doesn't even crack 190 hp. How about, they announced the fastest 'Busa ever, no, that's not true either, it does 0-60 at over 3 sec (even sport cars cracked the 3 sec rule long ago). How about the lightest ever 'Busa, sorry, no to that as well, it weighs in at about 600 lbs. What can a new 'Busa owner brag about then? That is a very good question, since good old 'Buss was always about the bragging rights. How about this, the new 'Busa has a speed limiter to prevent you from getting tickets (true). Not good? Here's another, it has a Comfort mode (true). In the world of 300 hp supercharged beasts and astonishingly capable, lightweight, high-tech and powerful superbikes from all relevant brands, the Hyper market just died and buried a while back and this one will not be able to resurrect it. There was a time that Suzuki was selling 10K 'Busas a year in the US alone, but that era is long gone.

All kidding aside, I love Hyper bikes, they are my most favorite category of motorcycles. BMW's K1300S is my all time favorite and I was very disappointed when BMW decided not to continue the K-S model range due to lack of market interest in Hypers and the phenomenal success of the S1000RR. To Suzuki's credit the new 'Busa generated some badly needed pre-release hype. Some people were using outrages terms like, it's going to be the most important new bike news from Suzuki ever (in fact considering the miniscule volume and specs, it's not an important bike) and of course they all got severely disappointed when the specs were finally revealed. Keep in mind the disappointed group were not 'Busa riders, they had no interest in the bike nor will they ever buy one. They just were shocked that it didn't have 800 hp and weigh in at 100 lbs which is understandable, since in the old days, before Kawasaki completely dominated the Japanese sports segment, 'Busa's performance was impressive, even though the suspension and braking were dreadful. The new bike has all the usual rider's aid, but somehow gets about 20% less MPG.

I personally like this bike. I think the new styling is spot on and much more attractive than Kawa ZX14. Suzuki has done a great job giving this last Samurai a new life, as short-lived as it maybe. Although I don't do bike reviews due to the complicated nature of our email format, but I'd consider making an exception for this beauty, if the conditions are right.

a0668072cabf04073d203e1c628b776e87506daf3661b832d6.gif

Flawed taste in Motorcycles (lol). I prefer my 2019 Busa as a sport tourer to my recently departed BMW K1200GT.

Sounds about the same as some of our members around here :confused:. I would have loved to see more power from the factory but I'm still going they got something hid in it to get some good numbers after a flash. If actually like to see what someone like @ChrisMooreMafia could get out of it before dropping the exhaust off it. Then see what it is with a full exhaust and filter.

I still say it would have made more sense for Suzuki to have used this bike to capture the sport tour segment with a higher windshield, hard bags and a more relaxed sitting position. The bike would be better suited for that role instead of being stuck between worlds like it is now.

There is no sense of Suzuki still pretending they have a stake in the hyper bike segment-that ship has sailed.

He makes some good points but where are these bikes?

”In the world of 300 hp supercharged beasts and astonishingly capable, lightweight, high-tech and powerful superbikes from all relevant brands”

Flawed taste in Motorcycles (lol). I prefer my 2019 Busa as a sport tourer to my recently departed BMW K1200GT.

There was a big difference between the K1200 bikes and the K1300s.... the 13s were vastly more refined and powerful machines.

Neither were as good as the Japanese hypers when it came to sports riding though. IMHO.

Sounds about the same as some of our members around here :confused:. I would have loved to see more power from the factory but I'm still going they got something hid in it to get some good numbers after a flash. If actually like to see what someone like @ChrisMooreMafia could get out of it before dropping the exhaust off it. Then see what it is with a full exhaust and filter.
I was thinking that but the internal mods seem to follow Euro 5 regs. Read them (ok tried to understand them) and the changes mirror the rules from the new combustion chamber to the smaller throttle bodies to the focus on lower rpm. I think to get this bike to run you will need a full exhaust and Gen 2 throttle bodies just as a start. Also, Euro 5 says the ECU has to monitor the emissions system (essentially a closed-loop like a car) so it can't just be turned off. All that makes me think it's going to take some serious wizardry to unlock this baby. Certainly, there are talented guys out there who will do it, but I don't think it's a pipe and dyno tune away anymore. If @Boosted Cycle Perf thinks this is potentially a good turbo motor then doesn't that sort of make it an average N/A motor?

I just think putting this on the street with less than 200 HP is a deal-breaker for a lot of markets. Suzuki had to know this, so I think they looked at other markets and just said "so what if Americans don't buy it." They have their eyes set on Asia, specifically India. Still, if it's just about plastic and gizmos, why did they let so much time go by before releasing this Gen 3 model?

I was thinking that but the internal mods seem to follow Euro 5 regs. Read them (ok tried to understand them) and the changes mirror the rules from the new combustion chamber to the smaller throttle bodies to the focus on lower rpm. I think to get this bike to run you will need a full exhaust and Gen 2 throttle bodies just as a start. Also, Euro 5 says the ECU has to monitor the emissions system (essentially a closed-loop like a car) so it can't just be turned off. All that makes me think it's going to take some serious wizardry to unlock this baby. Certainly, there are talented guys out there who will do it, but I don't think it's a pipe and dyno tune away anymore. If @Boosted Cycle Perf thinks this is potentially a good turbo motor then doesn't that sort of make it an average N/A motor?

I just think putting this on the street with less than 200 HP is a deal-breaker for a lot of markets. Suzuki had to know this, so I think they looked at other markets and just said "so what if Americans don't buy it." They have their eyes set on Asia, specifically India. Still, if it's just about plastic and gizmos, why did they let so much time go by before releasing this Gen 3 model?
Let me comment some aspects talked in this Gen 3 Busa about.
I have owned chronolgycally, Busa 2nd Gen, BMW K 1300 S, Kawa ZZR 1400 Perormance Sport and just one week ago I order my new Busa 3rd Gen. I mentioned that only to understand my point of view as follows:
- All three are in Sport-Touring segment but Busa is Sporter where ZZR 1400 is Tourer and K1300S are in between with less power and for me some dissapointing vibrations over 5000-6000 rpm.
- Al three are wonderful for riders Spor-Tourers.
- I sold my ZZR year ago waiting for the new Busa.
- Whether the new Busa would have changes tooo much from the 2nd I am not so sure whether I should have bought now the new one or wait and see how it was after 1-2 year of life. But seeing a 3rd Gen solving the problem of the 2nd Gen, I mean brakes, pilot legs protection and softing the driving position and including all new electronics in terms of safety for such a high performance bike, for me this was the right choice for ordering the new one.
- I must say I do not like too much the design for the exhast but I can imagine that EURO 5 has play a bad role on that.
- I agree there is no Sport-Tourer segment in Bike market till Busa is now on the street once more. BMW killed the Sport Tourer segment and so did KAWA because H2 I will say it is not comparable to such bikes we are talking about.

Why I prefer Busa than ZZR is because I ride more sport in mountain roads with nice curves where Busa works better than ZZR, whether I made long trip for example for GP Championship ZZR is better in the sense of more comfortable for riding highways.

I hope this gives some more point to talk about. Good rides guys.

:beerchug:

Let me comment some aspects talked in this Gen 3 Busa about.
I have owned chronolgycally, Busa 2nd Gen, BMW K 1300 S, Kawa ZZR 1400 Perormance Sport and just one week ago I order my new Busa 3rd Gen. I mentioned that only to understand my point of view as follows:
- All three are in Sport-Touring segment but Busa is Sporter where ZZR 1400 is Tourer and K1300S are in between with less power and for me some dissapointing vibrations over 5000-6000 rpm.
- Al three are wonderful for riders Spor-Tourers.
- I sold my ZZR year ago waiting for the new Busa.
- Whether the new Busa would have changes tooo much from the 2nd I am not so sure whether I should have bought now the new one or wait and see how it was after 1-2 year of life. But seeing a 3rd Gen solving the problem of the 2nd Gen, I mean brakes, pilot legs protection and softing the driving position and including all new electronics in terms of safety for such a high performance bike, for me this was the right choice for ordering the new one.
- I must say I do not like too much the design for the exhast but I can imagine that EURO 5 has play a bad role on that.
- I agree there is no Sport-Tourer segment in Bike market till Busa is now on the street once more. BMW killed the Sport Tourer segment and so did KAWA because H2 I will say it is not comparable to such bikes we are talking about.

Why I prefer Busa than ZZR is because I ride more sport in mountain roads with nice curves where Busa works better than ZZR, whether I made long trip for example for GP Championship ZZR is better in the sense of more comfortable for riding highways.

I hope this gives some more point to talk about. Good rides guys.

:beerchug:
I see this is your first post.....welcome to the forum.

Suzuki just announced the most powerful motorcycle in the world, the new Hayabusa. Ahhh, scratch that, it's doesn't even crack 190 hp. How about, they announced the fastest 'Busa ever, no, that's not true either, it does 0-60 at over 3 sec (even sport cars cracked the 3 sec rule long ago). How about the lightest ever 'Busa, sorry, no to that as well, it weighs in at about 600 lbs. What can a new 'Busa owner brag about then? That is a very good question, since good old 'Buss was always about the bragging rights. How about this, the new 'Busa has a speed limiter to prevent you from getting tickets (true). Not good? Here's another, it has a Comfort mode (true). In the world of 300 hp supercharged beasts and astonishingly capable, lightweight, high-tech and powerful superbikes from all relevant brands, the Hyper market just died and buried a while back and this one will not be able to resurrect it. There was a time that Suzuki was selling 10K 'Busas a year in the US alone, but that era is long gone.
That was brutal.

KANKI,

Welcome to the forums... looking forward to sharing info and what we all learn from the new Busa. Personally, I'm bringing FORUMS back to life because social media just isn't the same experience or knowledge sharing..
Thanks, I agree on that.

I still say it would have made more sense for Suzuki to have used this bike to capture the sport tour segment with a higher windshield, hard bags and a more relaxed sitting position. The bike would be better suited for that role instead of being stuck between worlds like it is now.

There is no sense of Suzuki still pretending they have a stake in the hyper bike segment-that ship has sailed.
if the busa went with the same ergos as the blackbird it would be the best sport tourer on the market

1204254949.jpg

Back