Good News For Kawasaki

I have wondered if they don't voluntarily share information for marketing purposes. Would it not have been possible to make the 1441 cc ZX-14R back in 2006 and taken a significant leap ahead of the Hayabusa instead of only equalling it? Then the Gen2 Hayabusa just barely edged out the ZX-14. The 14R wasn't even a giant leap for hyperbike evolution. It almost seems like neither company wants to outdo the other by too much.

HP aside, I have always felt the Hayabusa was a better bike.

As far as I know, zx14ninjaforums is the only forum dedicated to the ZX-14 and it has been very quiet for years now. There are days where no new posts are made. A little trolling would liven it up.
The Gen1 ZX14 spanked the Gen1 Busa. The Gen2 Busa equaled the Gen1 ZX14. The ZX14R spanked the Gen2 Busa and I seriously doubt the Gen3 Busa will equal the 14R. All this takes into consideration the fact that people give different values to characteristics like the styling, handling, braking, comfort, etc. so personal opinions can vary.

The Gen1 ZX14 spanked the Gen1 Busa. The Gen2 Busa equaled the Gen1 ZX14. The ZX14R spanked the Gen2 Busa and I seriously doubt the Gen3 Busa will equal the 14R. All this takes into consideration the fact that people give different values to characteristics like the styling, handling, braking, comfort, etc. so personal opinions can vary.

Not quite. The 1st year ZX was heavier and slower than my stock160whp 06, but not by much. I wouldn’t say mine “spanked” the ZX but it was quicker.

Gen-2 did not equal the ZX14 either...

Not quite. The 1st year ZX was heavier and slower than my stock160whp 06, but not by much. I wouldn’t say mine “spanked” the ZX but it was quicker.
Something is wrong with that example. I promise you on a stockish gen1 14 I will spank an equally modified Busa. I’m talking lowered, exhaust, and none or equal mild stretch with equal riders. My buddies and I have had enough of both bikes such that I’m quite confident in this. Switch riders, same results.

Something is wrong with that example. I promise you on a stockish gen1 14 I will spank an equally modified Busa. I’m talking lowered, exhaust, and none or equal mild stretch with equal riders. My buddies and I have had enough of both bikes such that I’m quite confident in this. Switch riders, same results.

I said stock and I meant stock. Around 35,000 miles on the odo my three dyno runs were 159 something, 159 something and 160 something, not quite 161. 89 octane pump gas.

I said stock and I meant stock. Around 35,000 miles on the odo my three dyno runs were 159 something, 159 something and 160 something, not quite 161. 89 octane pump gas.
Stock to stock the 14 is stronger than a gen1 Busa. My “equal mods” comments were only because it is hard to find a truly stock bike.

From an equal modification basis at the strip they were close enough I wouldn’t say there was a clear winner. Each had their own virtues otherwise.
I disagree. Plenty of bolt-on Gen-2’s running 200mph+ in 1-mile and the 1,352cc ZX14 just didn’t happen without going into the engine.

Here you go good sir...
Screenshot_20210330-182553_YouTube.jpg

I agree with you on all points except one. I own both the Gen1 ZX-14 and the Gen2 Hayabusa and the 14 almost equalled the busa in that go-round. I believe that ZX-14 is easier to launch for drag racing because it has a reasonable amount of less torque and a tad less hp. I'll take the extra torque and hp any day. It makes my sport riding on the street a bit more exciting. Matter of fact, the Gen2 ZX-14 doesn't have a boatload more torque than the Gen2 Hayabusa. The busa feels better in cornering too but I can't compare that to the Gen2 ZX-14.

I disagree. Plenty of bolt-on Gen-2’s [busas] running 200mph+ in 1-mile and the 1,352cc ZX14 just didn’t happen without going into the engine.
...or a shot of nitrous. I have +4 gearing on my gen1 ZX-14 and I can tell you, once you hit 160, it is accelleratig s l o w even with the gearing advantage. It still has 1000 rpm to go at 180 mph but the speedo is barely climbing. I've seen videos of Gen2 ZX-14s go all the way around the clock pretty quick though.

Kawasaki is dead in the water for the looks of their competition against the Hayabusa. The 1400 cow looks just like that, a big fat cow mooing down the road. The headlights on the cow looks like it's a cross-eyed one too. While the new busa is a work of art from the shape, curves, aerodynamics, and all-out looks. Remember, the cow can pass the busa up for a little while, then aerodynamics take over and it's bye-bye. There was a real good article all about it. So, the busa is still king.

...or a shot of nitrous. I have +4 gearing on my gen1 ZX-14 and I can tell you, once you hit 160, it is accelleratig s l o w even with the gearing advantage. It still has 1000 rpm to go at 180 mph but the speedo is barely climbing. I've seen videos of Gen2 ZX-14s go all the way around the clock pretty quick though.
Had all 4 gens and take what you will 14 is more comfortable but when it comes down to a winner it always has been the busa... 99 busa vs 06 zx14 not even close on which one put a bigger smile on your face and gen 2 yeah extra 100cc and still less torque I mean kawasaki had 4 years to catch up and now its a wrap because zx14 won't be around next year so busa is king and last bike standing 20 years strong and I enjoyed all 4 and if kawasaki makes a zx14 supercharged or zx15 I will get one as well but with euro5 won't happen for some time... couldn't find a picture of my 99 copper on my phone since I had it over 10 years ago. No joke my 99 was my first bike ever at 18 years old fun times...
Screenshot_2019-03-30-00-23-46.png
Screenshot_20210330-164040_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210330-165442_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree. Plenty of bolt-on Gen-2’s running 200mph+ in 1-mile and the 1,352cc ZX14 just didn’t happen without going into the engine.
I've never done the mile so I can't say, but I wonder if aero's play into that. They run the mph to prove the hp in the 1/4.

I agree with you on all points except one. I own both the Gen1 ZX-14 and the Gen2 Hayabusa and the 14 almost equalled the busa in that go-round. I believe that ZX-14 is easier to launch for drag racing because it has a reasonable amount of less torque and a tad less hp. I'll take the extra torque and hp any day. It makes my sport riding on the street a bit more exciting. Matter of fact, the Gen2 ZX-14 doesn't have a boatload more torque than the Gen2 Hayabusa. The busa feels better in cornering too but I can't compare that to the Gen2 ZX-14.
As I mentioned in the previous post, the MPH the 14 puts up demonstrates its hp. I believe the 14 launches better due to the better clutch feel. They don't last as long as a Busa clutch but they are butter-smooth to launch. I hopped on one of my buddy's 14's and on the second pass went quicker than he ever had or ever did on that bike and it was because I weighed 35 pounds less. If the clutch wasn't that smooth no way I would have been able to do that.

At the end of the day this is a Busa site so I don't expect the majority to agree with me. I prefer the Busa for my own reasons but I'm not gonna sell the 14 short.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the MPH the 14 puts up demonstrates its hp. I believe the 14 launches better due to the better clutch feel. They don't last as long as a Busa clutch but they are butter-smooth to launch. I hopped on one of my buddy's 14's and on the second pass went quicker than he ever had or ever did on that bike and it was because I weighed 35 pounds less. If the clutch wasn't that smooth no way I would have been able to do that.

At the end of the day this is a Busa site so I don't expect the majority to agree with me. I prefer the Busa for my own reasons but I'm not gonna sell the 14 short.
....And we shouldn't sell the ZX14R short, until the last new one is sold, it is still the reigning king of hyper bikes.

I think Kawasaki just wants to focus on it's H2 platform.

I never dynoed either of my bikes, I'm just going on published hp numbers that were reported by the manufacturers for whatever those are worth. One thing I can say, the busa sure feels more powerful to me. I mean sure the ZX-14 with a +4 rear sprocket and over 75 lbs removed from stock weight jumps into action at any speed but the busa, with just a pipe and very few other weight loss mods still wheelies at a much lower rpm and that's stock gearing. The busa will also lift the front up by surprise while still in a lean coming out of a corner. The 14 will too but I have to try to make it do that. The busa is more wheelie prone if you ask me and I'm attributing that to higher torque. Your racing experience with both is more valid than my seat of the pants experience riding them back to back but I still have a little more fun on my busa.

I never dynoed either of my bikes, I'm just going on published hp numbers that were reported by the manufacturers for whatever those are worth. One thing I can say, the busa sure feels more powerful to me. I mean sure the ZX-14 with a +4 rear sprocket and over 75 lbs removed from stock weight jumps into action at any speed but the busa, with just a pipe and very few other weight loss mods still wheelies at a much lower rpm and that's stock gearing. The busa will also lift the front up by surprise while still in a lean coming out of a corner. The 14 will too but I have to try to make it do that. The busa is more wheelie prone if you ask me and I'm attributing that to higher torque. Your racing experience with both is more valid than my seat of the pants experience riding them back to back but I still have a little more fun on my busa.
The 14 is so much smoother. Certainly the bike I would rather be on for >2 hour rides. The Busa is like a muscle car, a little rough and abrupt but that is a cool part of the character and gets the adrenaline going. Heck, HD makes their bikes vibrate on purpose so they understand character.

Back