wich tire

• michilin pilot power 2ct front and rear

Votes: 126 67.4%
  • dunlop sportmax q2 front and rear

Votes: 61 32.6%

• Total voters

mynewride

Registered
im lookin at getting a new set of tires for my k8. im down to 2 choices. my riding will be primarily to and from work. however i would like to get into some twisties and learn to ride faster this fall or next spring. id like to take some msf coarses and maybe even a few track days.

dunlop sportmax q2 .... 209 shipped
michilin pilot power 2ct...225 shipped

i have never ran either tire and am looking for some feedback. i feel these are both great deals from sportbiketrackgear.com. i would have done a poll, but i didnt know how.

thanks for the input

I understand the Q2's give less mileage, but are good huggers...but I've done very well with 2Ct's.

Last edited:
Either tire will serve your purpose well.

My preference is Q2's but for a general tire that you aren't going to spank, the PP's will work just fine!

so if the michilens get better mileage...how much better.

im leaning towards the q2s as of now unless the mileage is way different. i want more traction available when i start to get lower in the corners.

You are not going to get very good mileage out of the Q2's

They stick great...but the Michelins will last longer by far and they stick well too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Considering the riding you do, I would recommend the Dunlop RoadSmarts or the newest version the SportSmart.
Forget the Q2's.
PP 2CT's will be fine too, but I like the feel of the RoadSmarts and use them at 38-38 for general riding.
O.

Considering the riding you do, I would recommend the Dunlop RoadSmarts or the newest version the SportSmart.
Forget the Q2's.
PP 2CT's will be fine too, but I like the feel of the RoadSmarts and use them at 38-38 for general riding.
O.

have you used the michelin tires?

I have the Pilot Pures and for what you are doing it should be fine... I have a set of Q2's I am going to try on my 09 1k. The busa will be going back to Bridgestone.... For my riding the PP's are ok.... but I am not liking them! Its a feel and trust thing!

have you used the michelin tires?

Yes, nothing wrong with Q2's. They are sticky and don't last very long. Michelins are very good and lots of people swear by them as well as get great life, especially the 2CT's.
It's in the context of the initial post where commuting was the main game. Some people are very anti Dunlop as well, so it's really a personal thing. The same rubber on the same bike will not please two different riders.
I would not use Q2's(again) unless I liked the looks of the repair and tire balancing lady, then I'd go back as often as I can and will even try to wear out the rims, just to watch her work!

Both tires are great, but the pilot power road II's would be a better all around tire. It will serve your purpose for touring to work, and will more than accomodate u on your twisties. U will not out ride this tire in the canyons, and it will last almost twice as long as the others. Sport touring tires warm up alot faster so they offer u good grip alot sooner on your commutes also.:thumbsup:

Sometmies I wonder why we don't also discuss which knee pucks were best on the street when we talk about "canyon carving" or which tire has more "grip" for the corners.

Either tire will perform very well on the streets. Which tire will bring you to your level of confidence is more of a personal feel. Some like tires that give you ultimate grip until the last moment and some like tires that are a little more progressive before they loose grip.

I like pucks with little bits of titanium to give some nice sparkies.

Both tires are great, but the pilot power road II's would be a better all around tire. It will serve your purpose for touring to work, and will more than accomodate u on your twisties. U will not out ride this tire in the canyons, and it will last almost twice as long as the others. Sport touring tires warm up alot faster so they offer u good grip alot sooner on your commutes also.:thumbsup:

I'd have to disagree with you on that statement. A well schooled corner carver can romp a touring tire fairly well with no issues simply because they understand the limits. I certainly would not recommend a touring tire to the average rider to carve the twisties. ESPECIALLY if a touring tire is on the front! A sticky front and touring rear is a much safer combo since the rear tire has almost twice the contact patch than does the front. I actually have a Bridgestone BT016 front and BT023 rear on my busa and it works pretty dang well for twisty play. The front tire is the control point of your busa and I just can't trust my life to a touring tire in that position. JMO!

I see bikes on their side quite often with touring tires and it's almost always guys on their first track day. Touring tire, hayabusa, twisties or track day with an unschooled rider is a combination for pain and agony!

And your statement of "Sport touring tires warm up alot faster so they offer u good grip alot sooner" is a bit misleading as well. Any touring tire such as the Michelin pilot road II, Dunlop roadsmart or Bridgestone BT023 have a very heavy stiff carcass that requires more air pressure to maintain it's form and function as designed. They will not heat up faster than the sport tires that have lighter casings with more flex.

Touring tires do however, run cooler due to less flex which adds to the life of the tire.

Last edited:
Dunlop RoadSmart, Bridgestone 023, Metzler M5
are three top rated for Sport Touring.
Over 4 Laps in a recent Test, the British Mag, BIKE
gave the 023 1st position
and the RoadSmart with the same 4 star rating.
After 4 laps, the RoadSmarts wore by 0.12 mm and the 023's wore by 0.83mm

havnt ran either. ive only ran bridgestone and avon. im pretty sure im gonna go with the mich. tires. longer life and good grip. what i need to do is get a spare front wheel so i can put a sticky front on when i want to romp some twisties and run the regular the rest of the time.

Back