Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin???

To the OP

My opinion is that if you got 6k mi out of trhe stock BT016 tires`and liked them then I'd stick with them.

I'm in the same boat and honestly - the more I read the more confused I get. I'm at 3500 miles with mebbe a few hundred miles til the rear is completely done. 85% of my miles are 2up and about 70% canyons and I run them at 40 psi.

After a coupla weeks of tire research - I'm just gonna buy another BT016. I'm gonna`try a 190/55 with the understanding that it'll prolly be gone in 3k miles and then I'll consider buying my next set of tires.

IMHO, one should get the stickiest tires that one can afford. And my definition of "afford" takes into consideration the cost that would be incurred by not having the stickiest tires and needing them at some point. ;)

Wish someone would just make a "touring" tire that is "sticky"... but then we wouldn't have these heated discussions that are entertaining to read about. :poke:

I've just scrubbed in a set of Avon 3D XM tyres supposed sport touring really good feel and I'm liking them .They are multi compound with sip technology and they do warm up fast

I have a Dunlop Sportmax GP front and Michelin Pilot Power rear and I hate this combo! I used to run Pilot Road tires on my other bikes and never had traction issues. I wasn't dragging knees with them, but awful close. The tires I have now are the ones that were on my 'Busa when I bought it. I can't pull power wheelies because it spins before the front tire comes up and I low sided a corner that any tire with even decent traction should have handled no problem. I'm planning on putting new tires on her in the spring so I too am curious what has worked good for everyone.

There are two issues with the post, that I think caused your problem:

1. The DOT GPA tire is NOT A STREET TIRE. IT's a RACE tire, and need a LOT of heat that you can't normally get with street riding to get it to grip well. Not surprised it gave on you.

2. Rear: I dunno, I'm not a Michelin fan.

OP: The post for the Q2 front and Roadsmart rear is a good combination of FRONT GRIP and REAR LIFE with Grip that may give you the best of both worlds...

oops..just noticed this is a resurrected thread..

There are two issues with the post, that I think caused your problem:

1. The DOT GPA tire is NOT A STREET TIRE. IT's a RACE tire, and need a LOT of heat that you can't normally get with street riding to get it to grip well. Not surprised it gave on you.

2. Rear: I dunno, I'm not a Michelin fan.

OP: The post for the Q2 front and Roadsmart rear is a good combination of FRONT GRIP and REAR LIFE with Grip that may give you the best of both worlds...

oops..just noticed this is a resurrected thread..

That's good to know. My tires WERE cold when it washed out from under me. They are the tires that were on it when I bought it. Definitely going a different route when I go to replace them. Thanks for the info!

I am running Dunlop Q2 in the front, and Dunlop Roadsmart in the rear. Have 4500 miles on them already, looks like I will hit 6000 easy, with several WOT moments and some intense cornering. I wont say that the grip of the Roadsmarts is nearly what the Q2 was, but I will say it performs well in the rain, and has very reasonable grip. The trade off of slightly less grip (would still spin the wheel on the Q2s) definitely is worth the extra few thousand miles.

-THE MENACE

Very good combo. I had good luck with this set up.

Found these locally .

Sounds like a pretty good opportunity
to test both the Dunlop Q2 and Q3 .

Any thoughts ?

Talked to the guy ,
he teaches at one
of motorcycle safety
courses in town . . .

:poke:

Back