michilin or dunlop

wich tire

• michilin pilot power 2ct front and rear

Votes: 126 67.4%
  • dunlop sportmax q2 front and rear

Votes: 61 32.6%

• Total voters
havnt ran either. ive only ran bridgestone and avon. im pretty sure im gonna go with the mich. tires. longer life and good grip. what i need to do is get a spare front wheel so i can put a sticky front on when i want to romp some twisties and run the regular the rest of the time.

I would spare the hassle with extra wheels and so on and put on either the Metzler M5's or the
Dunlop SportSmarts (new) as they fit your job description for them perfectly plus they are represented by the latest tire-case/rubber compound technology.
O.

Well i have been riding with both tires - if you wanna mileage i will suggest michelin pilot road 2 2ct which is very good for curves.
I have road 2 2ct on both of my busa one k8 and one k9 - the milleage is more than excellent you do around >10,000km riding and for curves i have also change my footpegs sliders so up to u

I put the dunlop Q2 qualifiers on my 2002 gsxr 1000 this summer. Once the tires warm up they are great, but they wear out to fast. Has to put 2 rears on in few months. I'm not sure I would want to put them on my 2004 busa.

M. PP are great tires! Very sticky when they heat up. If you get those tires make sure when you stop and get off to check tire for debris. Once they heat up they get so sticky they pick up EVERYTHING.

pilot powers it is then. will be putting them on after the ride to caps in a few weeks. i hate to put tires on b4 winter, but i plan on riding all winter....brrrr

The big round black ones ..............

I have run both tires and just finished wearing out my first set of Q2's - MPP2CT will wear longer that's a fact, and they stick well and truly enough in the twisties - the Q2 are probably a quicker heating tire and a bit more grip but they do not have the longevity as the 2CT. General usage AND good twisties I think the 2CTs are more than enough, I am a twisties guy (ride in A group) and have never had issues with the 2CTs, I actually think they are better in the wet as well (my own opinion); the Q2 handle well and are certainly grippy. Personally I think I get a better feel from the 2CT than the Q2 but that is really a personal opinion and might be biased considering I have been using Michs for many years and have had bad exp in the past with Duns although their latest offerings are amazingly good tires and I think that they have joined the ranks as good tire manufactures.

(one tires I will never run again on the street is the mich power one, it stepped out at 190kph when I hit just a very slight moist patch in the shade and cost me big time :) )

other than that - as said by many it really is a personal choice and even though so many (oh so many) will "inform" you that their tire is the best (how many times has this topic been covered sigh) it comes down to spending the $ and working it out for yourself :) (sorry)

BK

Last edited:
anyone like the dunlop roadsmarts? I hear they are better for more miles. Are they good down low in turns?

RoadSmarts: they are fantastic! UK Mag, BIKE, rates it as "Brilliant" and their favourite Road Rubber and they've tried/tested them ALL.
Mine have done approx. 3000km (not even half used...) and they feel really great as an all-rounder which I run at 38-38psi (solo). My riding is half freeway and half mountain twisties with a few HS runs thrown in.
They have been nominated as THE "Go To.." Road Tire (for Sport Touring), with the New SportSmarts as the rubber suitable for road & track days as well.
Lots of people think Dunlops are **** but the fact is, almost 100% of IOM racers use them on their bikes.
Forefront Sport-Touring rubber these days would have to be one of these:
RoadSmart, SportSmart, Metzler M5, Avon Storm II, PowerPures, and Bridestone 023 & Angel ST.
The UK mag picked the 023, although the RoadSmarts still rated as "Brilliant" with equal 4 Stars.
It's a matter of personal taste and riding style. Like a Doughnut shop
they come in all varieties! Like yours with Black/White coffee sir?

Let's look at this in a different way. Measure the chicken strips on your rear tire. Inch? Inch and a half off the edge?? Most don't have the comfort level to ride to the edge of the tires. After your classes,......if you start using up the whole tire,.....then make another tire decision at that time!! For now,.......go with the longer lasting tire! :beerchug:

I am running BT21's on both ends and would have to say that the wear is going to be about 4000 on the rear with the front still having lots of cupped tread left. There seems to be some discussion online about excessive wear on the 21's when used on the front of the Busa. My crooked road riding form seems to place a lot of load on the front when exiting the turn. Next set of tires I am going to use something stickier on the front and just live with the the faster wear and change them out at the same time front and rear.
It just ain't cool when an old man has a big slip on the front end at the Gap. It was in front of Killboy but luckily he was focused the other direction. Could have been real bad to get caught.

Iam running BT56's but getting no were near enough grip. I uprated the front forks recently, revalved etc and upgraded the rear shock. I am no longer confident on th 56's exept in a straight line. Was thinking of trying the Dunlop roadsmarts next time round though.

im lookin at getting a new set of tires for my k8. im down to 2 choices. my riding will be primarily to and from work. however i would like to get into some twisties and learn to ride faster this fall or next spring. id like to take some msf coarses and maybe even a few track days.

dunlop sportmax q2 .... 209 shipped
michilin pilot power 2ct...225 shipped

i have never ran either tire and am looking for some feedback. i feel these are both great deals from sportbiketrackgear.com. i would have done a poll, but i didnt know how.

thanks for the input

between these two i suggest you the Dunlop!! you can have safe and fast track days, but you can"t have a lot of klm. on the road!!

look the pct from my busa!! (rear tyre)

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the Dunlop and me in action (track days)

I have run both tires extensively - M2CT better as committing tire and still great in twisties, DQ2 better in rain but pretty equal in dry both tires - really cant go werong with either but you will get longer life out of M2CT .... dont expect real long life though from either they are primarily a sports tire not a touring

That tire is not giving up much rubber? What pressure are you starting at cold before going on track? What is tire pressure coming off track after a session?

Below are two pics... The first a Q2 Busa Rear after two track days. The second a BT003 RS after two track days. The tend to "shed" rubber a little more than the Michelin tire.

Barber051.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

between these two i suggest you the Dunlop!! you can have safe and fast track days, but you can"t have a lot of klm. on the road!!

look the pct from my busa!! (rear tyre)

the Dunlop and me in action (track days)

With that said, the Mich or the Dunlop will serve a rider well. Run one of each type and then you'll have experience telling you which is best not a bunch of internet buddies...:laugh: Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

Back