Bridgestone, Dunlop, Michelin???

I run the road 3 on the rear and the pilot power 3 up front now. The road 3 will spin coming out of a corner if the tire pressure is to high, I know, but since I have been running at 34 to 36 PSI I have not had any problems. I ran 2 road 3 fronts, did not like either one, not as good as the Road 2. After the tire was half used up it handled REALLY bad, and thats why I am running a Power 3 up front now. I figured the front should go about 6000 miles, thats what I used to get out of a Pilot Power front, and the Road 3 rear that I have run normally goes around 6500 miles. Hope this helps but run what you have confidence in. I would not run anything but the Q2s at the track because thats what I ran and have friends ( Team Gixxer ) that hauls butt around the track and they love them. :)

Rude just rude, anyway the PR3 incorporates three different compounds. The center is somewhat hard for great mileage while riding down the interstate. As you work toward the outside of the tread it gets softer and grips pretty darn good. Not many folks push it to the edge on the streets because of other vehicles, guard rails, utility poles, trees, mailboxes, road debris, and the all time favorite loose gravel. Not to many folks out on the road running race tires, but then again, I've seen a lot of professionals, lowside, highside, and take a trip through the gravel / off course. But that's just me.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings Robert. If a dose of reality offends you then so be it. Your choice of tires are touring tires. Nothing more, nothing less!

Most if not all the current touring tires are dual compound. The tread may be softer on the edges but its still a touring tire. Nothing about a touring tire from the carcass to the tread is designed for the twisties. If you don't want anyone disagreeing with you then don't recommend a touring tire of any sort for a man who says "I don't want to sacrifice any grip in the mountains"! Any tire with touring attached sacrifices grip for mileage. That's the way it works, eh? :dunno:

I don't think he's ever met Gary, so, I'll stick to rude.

Thanks Robert. With all the new tire technology and all the different choices, combinations, and tire compounds I just though seeking advice here from those who may have tried different combinations might be a good idea. I was hoping it might save me a lot of money and guess work in the long run. I've done plenty of research here as well as other places, that's why my question was on those particular tires only. I was just looking for advice on how the Busa reacts to different tire compounds and tread patterns, whats works as opposed to what doesn't work from those that may have experience. I don't consider myself an expert rider, only been riding about 25 years, as I stated I only run about 80% of my skill level on the street. I don't much believe in pushing it to the limit on the street, you're just asking for trouble.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings Robert. If a dose of reality offends you then so be it. Your choice of tires are touring tires. Nothing more, nothing less!

Most if not all the current touring tires are dual compound. The tread may be softer on the edges but its still a touring tire. Nothing about a touring tire from the carcass to the tread is designed for the twisties. If you don't want anyone disagreeing with you then don't recommend a touring tire of any sort for a man who says "I don't want to sacrifice any grip in the mountains"! Any tire with touring attached sacrifices grip for mileage. That's the way it works, eh? :dunno:

Thanks for your thoughts Tuf, I completely understand the term Touring Tire as opposed to Sport Touring Tire, hence the reasoning for my question regarding the Michelin Road 3 because I believe they are classified as a Sport Touring Tire and have the 2CT technology. I was looking for feedback from those who may be running these and what their style of riding was in hopes of making a better decision concerning choice. What they like, dislike as far as grip and mileage. I believe you misquoted me in terms of grip, I don't believe I said "I don't want to sacrifice any grip in the mountains", what I did say was "don't want to sacrifice too much in grip when in the mountains”. I was willing to give up a little grip for longer mileage if those who have tried them could post up with positive results. Can you offer any experience with this setup?

Tim stated he was spinning up coming off the corners. Scar put me on them and stated he was running his third or forth set without issue. I'm about 9K into my first set and have had absolutely no issues. Ran Avon Storms the first 35K. The Michelins are doing the job for me and reducing tire changes.

Based on what you've written here, I say buy a set.

I have no feelings, it comes with the job. However you were unnecessarily rude to another member. I'm not even upset about any of it. I value most of your post, just think they would mean more to more without the hatin' . Never been offended by reality. People disagree all the time, opinions are just that opinions. Since you didn't mention it, I'll take it that you have never ran a set of these tires on a Busa. Granted if you had, I think we all know you have the ability to push this tire past it's limit with little effort. I believe most folks understand it's not a racing shoe.

In that case why does Ron Haslam use Bt-023's on ALL his track bikes in his Donnington raceschool? Ron Haslam - as in the guy who used to race 500's back in the Kenny Roberts days?

I think the modern touring tyres are a lot better than they used to be in your days Tuff ;-)

Jza

Jza

If Haslam is using BT23 Fronts on his school bikes, it has little to do with grip but more to do with tire life/cost savings. Wonder what his accident rates are....

Sound like it is probably just me, however, a modern sport touring tire will do anything one would want to reasonably do on public roadways. It seems people want to run around around like a bunch of hooligans and care nothing for the bad image portrayed or the saftey of others on public roadways. If you "need" the stickiest tires available on the street to feel/be safe, maybe you need to reevaulate the safety issues and legal concerns associated with your riding style. Track days are readily available and affordable. There is no excuse for irresponsible/wreckless riding on public roadways. Hence, sport touring tires are quite suitable for the street environment they were designed for.

It is necessary to understand corners before you can conquer corners. Same with tires, first you must understand tires before you can conquer tires! If the manufacturer has the term "Touring" attached to a tire it may work well for the advanced rider who's input at the controls are as smooth as silk but not recommended for the average guy who works all week and romps the mountain twisties on Sunday mornings. If a rider gets 10K+ miles on a tire and recommends it for aggressive riding, you can pretty much guess their level of twisty riding is low or they know you have been romping their daughter and would rather see your legs in casts.

The only difference in a sticky tire and touring tire is the sticky tire will allow you to make much bigger mistakes and stay on two wheels. So the moral of the story is: If you can consistantly ride smooth as warm butter on a regular basis while spankin the twisties or you never exceed the posted speed limits, then ride whatever you like. However, if your skills were among the upper tier you would already be educated in tire performance and wouldn't be asking for advise on tire choice. :dunno:

Rude as expected, but could not be further from the truth. I went down soon after switching from S20's to PR3's to get more milage. The PR3 could not make up for my lack of talent like the S20 could.

Sound like it is probably just me, however, a modern sport touring tire will do anything one would want to reasonably do on public roadways. It seems people want to run around around like a bunch of hooligans and care nothing for the bad image portrayed or the saftey of others on public roadways. If you "need" the stickiest tires available on the street to feel/be safe, maybe you need to reevaulate the safety issues and legal concerns associated with your riding style. Track days are readily available and affordable. There is no excuse for irresponsible/wreckless riding on public roadways. Hence, sport touring tires are quite suitable for the street environment they were designed for.

I have to agree. The only times I've been down on any street bike is when I was pushing harder than the road surface allowed (or running into deer, which if I was traveling the speed limit it would've been avoidable). Lots of gravel and oil on the street. =(

Rude as expected, but could not be further from the truth. I went down soon after switching from S20's to PR3's to get more milage. The PR3 could not make up for my lack of talent like the S20 could.

Thank you so much for making my exact point which is "The difference in a sticky tire and touring tire is the sticky tire will allow you to make much bigger mistakes and stay on two wheels". None of you tire experts have successfully argued that point thus far. It is however, entertaining to watch the stumbling, mumbling counter points. :laugh:

Thank you so much for making my exact point which is "The difference in a sticky tire and touring tire is the sticky tire will allow you to make much bigger mistakes and stay on two wheels". None of you tire experts have successfully argued that point thus far. It is however, entertaining to watch the stumbling, mumbling counter points. :laugh:

Where's Homer Simpson when you need him Doah :laugh: A sticky tire gives better traction than a touring tire :rofl: The only mumbling, stumbling round here is from tuf. This thread was never about the tire with the greatest traction, so don't try to cover your BS by making it so. Are you associated with the mainstream media ? You should be.

Wow, it's really easy to be nasty :poke:

Where's Homer Simpson when you need him Doah :laugh: A sticky tire gives better traction than a touring tire :rofl: The only mumbling, stumbling round here is from tuf. This thread was never about the tire with the greatest traction, so don't try to cover your BS by making it so. Are you associated with the mainstream media ? You should be.

Wow, it's really easy to be nasty :poke:

You'd be better served to stick with Law Enforcement, something you are good at! By the way Homer, wasn't it you who took this thread south when your feelings was hurt. Not because of the substance but you didn't like the delivery :D

Back