Metal Bits on my Oil drain plug

btreaves

Registered
Hey Fellas,

Last week I changed my oil and I noticed some very small metal particles on the magnet of my oil drain plug. The were small...even smaller than a high security cross cut paper shredder would make with paper. I usually see a very small amount of metal to none at all with every oil change, but this was more than usual.

Recently I had my water pump replace under warrenty cuz it was leaking a small amount of oil. I'm thinking that the additional metal particles might be from the new water pump wearing in. Can anyone ease my mind. I'm going to change the oil in about 1000 miles and see what it looks like then, but just wanted to see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance!

Be careful that you did not strip a thread or 2. The small amount of etal could come from that. Nothing to worry about but just watch ext time you hange the oil.

What Eater Said, By and large though after your break in period or I guess a few thousand miles really, you shouldn't see anything bigger on that magnet than maybe a spec of dust... OK maybe several specs of dust but no bunnies...

Wait a minute.... 33K miles?  I dunno...I just re-read your post and now I am not so sure....   I dunno...

I mean if you have metal bits from the water pump getting into the oil pan... Doesn't sound right at all...

I'll still bet that the metal bits have been there for awhile, but you didn't notice them because you weren't specifically looking...maybe? I say this only cause it's how my brain works. I'll notice scratches on something after it's been to the shop only to have the wife explain that that scratch has been there for months... I dunno....

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1089133155 -->

Sounds normal for a low mileage bike, if you've got 33k on it then i would check it out carefully on the net oil change

Back