Oil change ...

pseudo

Donating Member
Registered
I finally got around to changing my oil this weekend. I only had about 3,000 miles on this change, but the oil was very dirty. This is the first change I have done of synthetic, so I'm not sure if that's normal.

Secondly, I checked the oil plug magnet and found the following:

A very small metal sliver. Mybe about the length of an eyelash, but much much thinner.

A very small amount of silvery goo, in an amount the size of a sesame seed? It seemed to be metalic because it crystalized? (not sure that's the term, but the look you get when playing with iron shavings with a magnet").

The amount was very small, and was very smooth when I rubbed it in my fingers, not grainy at all.

I'm not sure if these could just be possible contaminants that finally worked their way to the plug, or if I should be concerned. Again, when I say small amount, it was barley noticeable.

I have 8600 miles on her, so I'm not sure if stuff could possibly still be lurking in there from manufacture, or maybe it was even from the machining of the oil filter? I've never seen metal in oil from engine damage before, so I'm not sure how to guage what I have found.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks guys!

I get some residue on the mag plug at every change. Is it still running smooth?

Change the oil again in 1000 miles and check the plug if you are worried.

I get some residue on the mag plug at every change. Is it still running smooth?

Change the oil again in 1000 miles and check the plug if you are worried.
By residue, do you mean what I descibed above? Does the discription sound the same?

It seemed to get a little rough right before the oil change, but then again, that could just my perception.

After the change it's been pretty smooth. Any rough riding I got was intermittant, wich could be due to a lot of different things I guess. If it were a mechanical issue, it would not have gone away, right?

I'm still learning, the help you guys give is great!

Most likely nothing at all to worry about. The oil is also running through the transmission and you're bound to pick up a few microscopic pieces here and there...that's why the put a magnetic plug in there. At break in it's really noticable.

If you still have the old filter, cut it open and see what's in there. If you have a lot of eyelash shavings then it's time to start worrying.

I changed mine today on the new 06 gsxr at 128 miles. I found the same goo stuff and some metal shavings just as you discribed but I havent had a chance to tear open the oil filter yet....of course mine is still breaking in but it was just as Turbo told me yesterday so I'm glad I went ahead and changed it out at 128 miles.......

Back