How much 'metal' is normal on your magnetic oil plug ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Changed oil today. This was first time I changed it since installing a new magnetic drain plug. This one has a really nice and strong magnet on it .
Bike just turned 7,000 miles. This was 4th maybe 5th oil change since new.
In pics you can see the little 'corkscrew' shaped shavings. I figure this is normal but what caught my eye were the two little 'chunks' also stuck to it ?
Question :
Is this normal amount and only really seen cuz new plug is doing its job or something more than I should see ?

Pic of metal still stuck on plug as it just came out..
OILFILTERCHANGE005.jpg

Pic of one 'corkscrew' (there were about 6-7 total) and 'two chunks' next to 5mm socket for scale..
OILFILTERCHANGE008.jpg

Pic of one 'corkscrew' and 'two chunks' on my fingertip...
OILFILTERCHANGE006.jpg

Again the 'corkscrew' shaped pieces were really little slivers and I can imagine these are normal in a still breaking in motor but the little 'chunks' although small were just that little pieces of metal.
Bike runs fine, no smoke, no noise, no probs.
Normal and good thing new magnetic plug is doing its job or something more than normal ?
Just curious out loud here ?

???

Not trying to be paranoid.
The curved ones resemble sleeve threading[ but their aluminum. ]
Ive not had any metal come out on my bike like that. see if they all will stick to the magnet.

Not trying to be paranoid.
The curved ones resemble sleeve threading[ but their aluminum. ]
Ive not had any metal come out on my bike like that. see if they all will stick to the magnet.

Bobber see first pic . It shows all metal in question stuck to magnetic plug .
It's all gotta be steel cuz it stuck to magnet .
Slivers and 'chunks' were stuck to it .

ive never seen anything like that come outa mine, so i'd have to say that ANY metal in your oil is NOT normal. hope you get it figured out

any signs of transmission problems? have you been launching it or anything? did the oil have any abnormal smell or colors in it?

The bike didn't come factory with magnetic drain plug? Mine has one on and I believe it is factory. Last time I changed the oil, very little was on the plug...kinda like a magnetic mud which is normal...wasn't enough to cover a finger nail. I'd say the shards pictured may have come from a spring, or the trans. Remember it has to be ferrous to stick to the magnet. :) Wouldn't worry too much about it, they look pretty small...just keep an eye on it with future oil changes.

How many miles are on the motor?
J'Man first post says 7,000 :poke:

any signs of transmission problems? have you been launching it or anything? did the oil have any abnormal smell or colors in it?

No launching or racing just high speed runs way out yonder .
No funny smell or nothing .

The bike didn't come factory with magnetic drain plug? Mine has one on and I believe it is factory. Last time I changed the oil, very little was on the plug...kinda like a magnetic mud which is normal...wasn't enough to cover a finger nail. I'd say the shards pictured may have come from a spring, or the trans. Remember it has to be ferrous to stick to the magnet. :) Wouldn't worry too much about it, they look pretty small...just keep an eye on it with future oil changes.

Bike did come with magnetic plug from factory but it was small. And yes as you say all I ever saw on it was like a metal mud .
This time is first drain on new plug and maybe this was there since new and larger magnet captured them . Not sure . Bike is fine no probs at all .

Shift forks?

Take the next filter apart and look inside...I'm sure there will be all kinds of stuff in it.

Last edited:
Don't look like anything to worry about to me. With the tranny clutch and motor sharing the same oil you are going to see a little of that.

Back