Marine Corps

i ran away from home, and 4 days later i went back into town to the navy recruiting office. at that time i thought it would be a case of sign the dotted line and get on the ship. which it wasn't. anyway the recruiting officer, i could see was analysing my request/situation and a grin was starting to appear on his face. i sort of thought, maybe 29 is leaving it a bit late.

you ran away from home at 29???

i ran away from home, and 4 days later i went back into town to the navy recruiting office. at that time i thought it would be a case of sign the dotted line and get on the ship. which it wasn't. anyway the recruiting officer, i could see was analysing my request/situation and a grin was starting to appear on his face. i sort of thought, maybe 29 is leaving it a bit late.

???

I read quite a few posts about how the Marines are the best hands down. Most did nothing but bash the Army. Now I come on here and defend the Army and I'm the bad guy. Army is easy, Army soldiers are out of shape, without the Corps the U.S. would fall, blah blah blah. I'm glad you served, but I'm not going to let you (TF) or anyone else make fun of the service that I proudly served in without giving some back.

I read quite a few posts about how the Marines are the best hands down. Most did nothing but bash the Army. Now I come on here and defend the Army and I'm the bad guy. Army is easy, Army soldiers are out of shape, without the Corps the U.S. would fall, blah blah blah. I'm glad you served, but I'm not going to let you (TF) or anyone else make fun of the service that I proudly served in without giving some back.

but......it's the army...:poke:

:laugh: kiddin'

Alright GSX, calm down there man...

I'm also thinking about joining the Army, so I don't really appreciate people bashing them either.

I don't think Thrasher mean't any harm in it...besides, I wouldn't worry about it, what someone else say's can only hurt you as much as you let it.

Let's not have anymore bashing of ANY services in this thread. I don't want ANYONE who has served to be bashed.

I have UTMOST respect for all of you, and ALL of the services are depended upon by our country.

Calm down guys, stop bashing each other, stop fighting, it's a lost cause. No-one branch is better than the other, PERIOD!

Come-on guys, you're supposed to be helping ME, not arguing with EACH OTHER! :angry: :beerchug: :)

Okay, I love the Corps. Do I regret joining? NO! Would I join again? NO! I'd go into a branch that offered more technical skills. Man I'm going to hate myself for saying this, but I'd probably go into the Air Force. To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, and to repel the enemy's assault by fire and close-combat is not on high demand these days in today's work force. :laugh:

lol, what's your ASVAB score? and what's your MOS?

I'm sick of all the bashing. I'm a Marine myself serving faithfully for 13 years. Going back to the original thread: You join the Marine Corps for the challenge, the pride of belonging, the leadership,the esprit de corps and mostly intangible things. I'm a recruiter myself, and the good thing about selling the Marine Corps is that its easy. I never lie about anything because there is nothing to lie about the Marines. I don't sell jobs, I don't offer bonuses, I even guarantee them that they will receive nothing from the Marines. That's what seperates us from the other services. We all joined for the right reasons, now and then we have shipping bonuses and depending on your job you will get some monetary bonus. The Marine Corps is not for everyone, and I'm doing my best to keep it that way. For the most part the benefits are all the same from all the branches. We all get paid on the 1st and the 15th of the month, and we all follow the same pay chart. Do I hate putting up with the BS? hell yeah! If you ask me would I do it all over again? HELL YEAH!!!

Ask the rest of them: Drew Carey;Montel Williams;Gene Hackmann;Ed Mcmahon;John Glenn;Don Imus;Dan Rather;Bill Curtis;Walt Disney; Mr. Rogers;Mayor Dinkins NYC; I can keep on going but I might fall asleep....

Last edited:
Is it possible, say, (if Infantry is a 4yr enlistment), to get them to allow you to sign up for 2yrs?

If I could get a 2yr enlistment, either with the Marines OR the Army, I would be all over that shid!:thumbsup:

But 4yrs is going to make the decision harder...

And I think 6yrs is pretty much out of the question...:down:

i guess that's cutting a long story short . i left home at 29, but i like to think i ran away from home. my home at that time was a single room bedsit (gerry sadowitz used to live in the room across the hall). i had been living there for four years and i guess it was all getting a bit stale/splitting up with the girlfriend/opening up to knowledge/reading lord of the rings etc. so i bought a sleeping bag and headed out into the country. totally lost as to what was happening or what i was going to do, i just started walking. my first night under the stars saw me waking up at about 5am on a summers day. there were loads of rabbits kicking about. i tried stoning them for a meal with no luck. so off on my walk again, about 2 miles further on, a car passed me and i saw a rabbit. it was sniffing it's dead partener, hit by the car that had just passed. it was good to eat:laugh: my shins were killing me from all the walking. i only had about 30 pounds and i spent it in the pub. so the next day i cut across from tarbert on loch lomond to arrochar and then down to helensburgh. in helensburgh (nearby) i was woken up by the worst rainfall i ever seen. couldn't get any shelter from the meagre trees and i was soaked to the skin, sleeping bag and all. messed about til daybreak and it was then i decided it might be a good idea to join the navy (royal navy). as if by magic, i was striding down the path to the main road, a car was approaching and i stuck my hand out to thumb a lift. seeing it was a woman driver i just saluted her to help her on her way and she jammed the brakes on and gave me a lift to dumbarton where i thought i might get on a ship. and then glasgow. and then nowhere. and then everywhere. i must say, i had an army bag with all my worldly belongings, i had been outside for 4 days, my face was beetroot and my hair, which was quite long, even got bleached by the sun. i felt i looked sort of like billy bud. i didn't ever get round to joining the navy but i have worked on fishing boats, and it's not for the faint hearted. but that's a nother story.:beerchug:

Is it possible, say, (if Infantry is a 4yr enlistment), to get them to allow you to sign up for 2yrs?

If I could get a 2yr enlistment, either with the Marines OR the Army, I would be all over that shid!:thumbsup:

But 4yrs is going to make the decision harder...

And I think 6yrs is pretty much out of the question...:down:

2yrs! with Infantry not with us man. Our infantry is either 4 or 5 yrs for Security Forces. Is there a 2 yr program? yes its called the National Call to Service, the only stipulation is that the Marine Corps will pick the job for you. The program only comes out once in a blue moon. You will basically serve for 15 months after your MOS school.

I don't blame you for being proud of the branch you served in, you should be proud. As I stated every branch has their niche, their specialties. They are all needed to accomplish different missions.

And every branch has their fat boys, including the Marines.

Every branch has their special ops.

All branches are needed.. :thumbsup:

I don't blame you for being proud of the branch you served in, you should be proud. As I stated every branch has their niche, their specialties. They are all needed to accomplish different missions.

And every branch has their fat boys, including the Marines.

Every branch has their special ops.

All branches are needed.. :thumbsup:

:bowdown::beerchug:

Ask the rest of them: Drew Carey;Montel Williams;Gene Hackmann;Ed Mcmahon;John Glenn;Don Imus;Dan Rather;Bill Curtis;Walt Disney; Mr. Rogers;Mayor Dinkins NYC; I can keep on going but I might fall asleep....

I'm going to call everyone of them...you better not be lying:rulez:

I'm guessing, since we're getting specific, that i can't call any of them. Hell, I don't even know my OWN phone number...but I got my eye on you!!:laugh:

Walk in your local Marine Corps office find out if you qualify first before you keep an eye on me. I don't appreciate guys watching my arse...:laugh:

Back