Marine Corps

motogp08

Registered
I've been doing some thinking, and if they have a draft, I'm leaning towards the Marine Corps.

I've got a few questions...(if I were planning on enlisting now, which IS possible, I will also talk to a recruiter).

But I want to know...

1.) How hard is the training...(is it so hard that most people can't do it, or does it just make sure you want to be there?)

2.) What are the chances of a reserve unit being deployed? (With our occupation of Iraq in mind).

3.) How often do you get to come home? (Generally, just an estimate)

I like the idea of getting to fight over there and help out, but I don't want to make a decision that I will end up regretting. For a while, I quit thinking about doing military service, but sometimes I want to do military SOOO bad.

I'm kinda torn on this decision, I keep talking myself out of it, but I ALWAYS start to talk myself back into it.

With my father having passed, and my mother getting a late start having us...I don't want to miss out on time with her.

But on the other end of the sword...I have always had an interest in military stuff...(I wish decisions were easier!) :cussing:

What do you guys think? Do you have any advice that could help? ???

I've been doing some thinking, and if they have a draft, I'm leaning towards the Marine Corps.

I've got a few questions...(if I were planning on enlisting now, which IS possible, I will also talk to a recruiter).

But I want to know...

1.) How hard is the training...(is it so hard that most people can't do it, or does it just make sure you want to be there?) <===Not too hard but physically and mentally demanding, I would say that USMC DI's are probably the most professional trainers in the world.
2.) What are the chances of a reserve unit being deployed? (With our occupation of Iraq in mind). <=== I can't really speak to the USMCR OPTEMPO but I would guess (depending on your job) you are better off planning on going.
3.) How often do you get to come home? (Generally, just an estimate) <==== You get 30 day of leave a year

I like the idea of getting to fight over there and help out, but I don't want to make a decision that I will end up regretting. For a while, I quit thinking about doing military service, but sometimes I want to do military SOOO bad. <====Be careful for what you wish for, I can only speak for myself on this but combat will change you.

I'm kinda torn on this decision, I keep talking myself out of it, but I ALWAYS start to talk myself back into it.

With my father having passed, and my mother getting a late start having us...I don't want to miss out on time with her.

But on the other end of the sword...I have always had an interest in military stuff...(I wish decisions were easier!) :cussing:

What do you guys think? Do you have any advice that could help? ???

See above.

I left for Parris Island the day after graduation from High School. I was in the Marine Reserves for 2 years in College then sitched to ARMY ROTC because I received a scholarship. After graduating I spent 3 years as an Artillery Officer followed by 10 years of Special Operations. I got out after 13 years and although I love my time in the military I don't regreat getting out because my son's became my priority. It is a great way to start your life and you will get wonderful training.

I have a son who is 17 and thinking about the military. To be honest I have a hard time with him going in the military (I support our military 100%), but as a dad and vet I know what he could face and I know what it is like to have nightmares, I don't want that for him. I knew how to take care of myself but a lot of that was based on the guys I served with, I am not sure how to pass that all on to him. It is more scary thinking about him being there than it every was actually being there. That is fatherhood I guess. That said if he makes the decision to go in I will guide him and give him the best of my experience and support him 100%.

There are lots of guys here with former and current military expirence I am sure any of us would be happy to chat about it. Make sure you pick our brains with specific questions BEFORE you sign anything.

Advice I gave my son: Once you decide that you are ready to sing up, take a week and really think on it, if you are still ready go for it.

Last edited:
See above.

I left for Parris Island the day after graduation from High School. It is a great way to start your life and you will get wonderful training.

How old are you/when did you go into the Marines? <see, I already know that you capitalize the (M) when spelling Marines...I'm sooo smart...:cheesy:

My dilema I think, is that I've got such a wonderful family at home, and don't really want to miss out on time with them.

If I had a crappy family life...I'D BE ALL OVER THIS SHID!:thumbsup:

Decisions SUCK!...:down:

Haven't we smashed the idea of the draft? Join because you want to join.. otherwise you will be miserable.

Well, I don't want to join ALL THE TIME. I just don't want to make the decision to join, and then regret it.

Missing out on family time is my BIGGEST dilema...:banghead:

See above.

I left for Parris Island the day after graduation from High School. I was in the Marine Reserves for 2 years in College then sitched to ARMY ROTC because I received a scholarship. After graduating I spent 3 years as an Artillery Officer followed by 10 years of Special Operations. I got out after 13 years and although I love my time in the military I don't regreat getting out because my son's became my priority. It is a great way to start your life and you will get wonderful training.

I have a son who is 17 and thinking about the military. To be honest I have a hard time with him going in the military (I support our military 100%), but as a dad and vet I know what he could face and I know what it is like to have nightmares, I don't want that for him. I knew how to take care of myself but a lot of that was based on the guys I served with, I am not sure how to pass that all on to him. It is more scary thinking about him being there than it every was actually being there. That is fatherhood I guess. That said if he makes the decision to go in I will guide him and give him the best of my experience and support him 100%.

There are lots of guys here with former and current military expirence I am sure any of us would be happy to chat about it. Make sure you pick our brains with specific questions BEFORE you sign anything.

Advice I gave my son: Once you decide that you are ready to sing up, take a week and really think on it, if you are still ready go for it.

When I graduated HS I was gonna go in the Marines and really wanted Paris Island. But my girlfriend at the time ended up pregnant so I ended up staying here.

So if your asking for my opinion I'd go to the Marines and pick the hardest badest place to go. If your gonna do it. do it. I have NEVER heard someone go in the corp. and regret it.

Last edited:
I have to be completely honest with you. No disrespect intended but if the three questions that you asked are you main concerns...then you would definately regret doing it! The fact that you even asked the specific questions that you did tells me that your mindset wont be right to enjoy the military life. But just to humor you, here are the answers.

1.) How hard is the training...(is it so hard that most people can't do it, or does it just make sure you want to be there?)
It will be as hard as they have to make it! Its different(to an extent) for everyone. If you dont look like you're at you breaking point, then they'll be harder on you than the guy that is about to collapse. They make sure EVERYONE reaches that point!

2.) What are the chances of a reserve unit being deployed? (With our occupation of Iraq in mind). Very good. Noone can honestly answer this one and the recruiter will just tell you what you want to hear! They ALL lie! Remember that!

3.) How often do you get to come home? (Generally, just an estimate)
This depends on how long you are deployed. You accrue points according to how long you'r deployed and when you have enough to take leave, then you take it.. Dont plan on coming home for more than a couple weeks on a year deployment though.

All I can tell you is to think long and hard about this one. Some people love it, some hate it. If you dont mind going to a few months without any contact with the outside world than I guess its ok, me, I had a wife and two little girls and it drove me absolutely insane to not be able to talk to them for so long and then to only be able to talk to them for 5minutes at the most. I cant say that I wouldnt have done it if I had known it was going to be that way as I love this country, but after only 3 years I can definately say I wont ever do it again. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

See above.

The next question I've got (and is NOT intended to offend, it's just a thought I had)...IS/HOW are the Marines "better" than the Army?

I had a grandfather, an uncle (Army Airborne), a cousin (Army Helicopter pilot), and another cousin who was Army Infantry...so I also want to join the Army, but I've heard the Marine Corps training is better, etc.

SOOO many questions, so little time! :cussing::banghead:

The next question I've got (and is NOT intended to offend, it's just a thought I had)...IS/HOW are the Marines "better" than the Army?

I had a grandfather, an uncle (Army Airborne), a cousin (Army Helicopter pilot), and another cousin who was Army Infantry...so I also want to join the Army, but I've heard the Marine Corps training is better, etc.

They send the Marines to protect the Army:laugh:

Basic training is different but most of the technical training for you job is done at the same schools. I know that mechanics for army and marines trained along side each other. I had 3 marines in my class at aberdeen proving grounds.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol:

I thought you were a Marine? ???

Nope, Army National Guard. Track vehicle mechanic for a forward support unit in the 278th. Had alot of Jarhead buddies though. We teased each other all the time but it was always in good fun. ;)

If you are as close to your family as I am thinking, then I doubt you would enjoy military service. Especially the Marines. A year long deployment is something that can destroy marriages and if you get homesick forget it.

If you decide you must join and you just have to join a branch choose the one that will benefit you the most. If you think the Marines can offer you something to further yourself (they will make you a different person :laugh:) then go that route. If the Army offers you something that can help you in your career choice go Army.

Personally I went Navy for the simple fact that they offered me money for college and some high tech training. It suited my needs and desires.

It's not something to take lightly or a decision to make on a whim. As someone stated recruiters LIE. They will tell you what you want to hear. They have quota's they have to meet every month. If it's not written on paper in a contract form it was never promised to you.

Before you decide either way look into everything. See what you think of it all, ask around, educate yourself. The people who excel in the military, in my experience, are those who knew what they were stepping into.

To all you Marines out there Semper Fi!!!! & Happy Birthday (a little late)
MOS 3521 Diesel mechanic. If you can't truck it **** it.

Now in regards to your questions here is my experience & answers to your questions. I joined the Marine Corp for the challenge. I joined the reserve because I could not get the most out of the military by joining the Marines. What I mean by this is the Marine Corp does not have the MOS that other branches do. Marine Corp boot camp is more mental than physical. I suggest talking to all the local recruiters & see if the will take you to a local reserve center for a weekend to see how you like each one.
You have to ask yourself...."What do I want to get out of my time in the Military?

If you want fighting Skills, Discipline, Best Uniform, & of course any woman you want then join the Marines. If you want a career or career skills outside of the Military join Coast Guard, Navy or Air Force. If you want to be fat & Nasty join the Army or National Guard.(Did you know Army uniforms have elastic in them like women's maternity clothes?)
Usually all deployments are 12-16 months. I was deployed to Kosovo for 6 months out of my 8 years in the USMCR. You do not get to come home that often. It depends on your MOS, deployment, & duty station commander.

Good Luck with your decision!

If you are as close to your family as I am thinking, then I doubt you would enjoy military service. Especially the Marines. A year long deployment is something that can destroy marriages and if you get homesick forget it.

If you decide you must join and you just have to join a branch choose the one that will benefit you the most. If you think the Marines can offer you something to further yourself (they will make you a different person :laugh:) then go that route. If the Army offers you something that can help you in your career choice go Army.

Personally I went Navy for the simple fact that they offered me money for college and some high tech training. It suited my needs and desires.

It's not something to take lightly or a decision to make on a whim. As someone stated recruiters LIE. They will tell you what you want to hear. They have quota's they have to meet every month. If it's not written on paper in a contract form it was never promised to you.

Before you decide either way look into everything. See what you think of it all, ask around, educate yourself. The people who excel in the military, in my experience, are those who knew what they were stepping into.

+1

And dont forget to READ EVERYTHING! I was suppossed to get $20,000 of student loan repayment, only to find out that they screwed up the account numbers on my paperwork and ended up getting nothing! Ask lots of questions to the recruiter, then, go find the truth somewhere else.

Back