Women in Combat? Thoughts?

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So the Marine Corps just got its new Sergeant Major not too long ago along with a new commandant a good bit ago. Our old Sergeant Major was completely against women in combat but the new one is completely for it and actually pushes for it. about 1,000 personnel including myself went for a discussion/brief on his welcome tour as the new Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps. I am quite shocked that he is so for women being infantry because of his grunt background. The whole building went completely silent when he answered the question about how he felt about women in combat because no one expected it. About 3 months ago, we had the same kind of brief on our old Sergeant Major of the Marine Corp's farewell tour where he had no problem with saying how against it he was with many good reasons.

Kind of shocked me along with everyone else. Curious as to what you guys think?

The new Sergeant Major of the Marine Corp's reason was that "women can get us places and do things guys just can't do because they can talk us into places men can't". I kind of understand a little but of what he is getting at, but I do not see it as a reason to put females in full on combat situation. I know there are women's right nazis out there and so one saying women should be equal, but it is not about equality in this situation...

Oh, some other information for you guys so you know what is going on with your Marine Corps. We are going from a 202,000 size to 186,000 in the next few years with the drawing out of Afghanistan.

EDIT: I said "against women in the military" above but I meant "women in combat"

I'm sex blind as far as combat soldiers go. If she can carry/drag a large equipped injured fellow out of the line of fire then ok. If she doesn't mind being dirty for weeks at a time in country then fine. If she can handle weapons as good as others then fine.

For me the question has always been: can a giver of life take life as quickly and efficiently as a man?

I dont like it. or should I say I wouldn't want a female next to me on the battlefield . If they want to fight then have an all female unit.
Thats not saying that a female cant shoot , run etc etc But when the 2 get put together in the field or in a combat situation it doesnt work very well..
Most questions and problems can be solved by looking back at history.

I'm sex blind as far as combat soldiers go. If she can carry/drag a large equipped injured fellow out of the line of fire then ok. If she doesn't mind being dirty for weeks at a time in country then fine. If she can handle weapons as good as others then fine.

For me the question has always been: can a giver of life take life as quickly and efficiently as a man?

And thats the thing, women are built for emotion... It is not that I dont think women can cut it because I am sure there are some that could do just as good. It is the fact that why put them in a situation where most may get hurt? I know most that go infantry will do it by just because they "Want to be equal" or do it to prove something. I thing it will compromise training...

I'll fight till I can't anymore next to my best friend buddy or brother but not with a girl or sister !!

I would rather fight / go out alone

Can't be all bad.
You may get paired up with one like this which would make for an interesting night in the FOXhole........
41P4avaXjRL.jpg

Against

Woman can do anything a man can, I'd rather not get into the specifics about why I don't want them in the front line.

Can't be all bad.
You may get paired up with one like this which would make for an interesting night in the FOXhole........
41P4avaXjRL.jpg

Good for morale, bad for the mission :laugh:

I was supposed to do what?!? I thought we had to stay put and stand guard all night :whistle:

My only real issue with a woman fighting is if they become a POA and the things that could happen to them while a POA.

nope, never, ever ever.

I cant see a woman running with a 240 lb soldier in a fireman carry anywhere. They have women issues to deal with and are much more prone to getting sick, ie, bladder infections, vaginitis, and other illnesses from weeks of being unclean. Not to mention a distraction.

I welcome women in the service with open arms, just not on the firing lines.

I'm a veteran, so I can speak what I think on this issue. All women in combat, no. Line up 10 and I'd guess 3 or 4 would be able to handle the pressure of a firefight. I've met a few female soldiers that are tougher than a boiled owl, and could kick some serious ass.

I agree with these comments but I believe the Liberal agenda is just going to push this because they need women to be "equal". It does not matter what I, you, or any other servicemen believe or want. They honestly do not care about us, they just want people to be "equal". Just like the DADT was repealed without a popular vote.

my sister and cousin both did tours in iraq and afghan im all for it and proud of them

There is a difference between them being forward deployed and them being pushed into a mission destined for firefights or close combat. I.E. Going on patrols

I think the Marine Corps is already preparing this to get passed. They are already in the process of toughening up the female physical fitness test (no more dead hang, they must do pull-ups). I am sure there will be a minimum they must get in order to go into the infantry field or something...

The Sergeant Major is being told what to say about women in combat. The whole thing is being pushed from Washington DC. When you get that high up it all gets political.

As for my thoughts about it. No it is not a good idea. I did 4 years in the Army and seen what it does to mixed units forward. I also have a step daughter in the Navy and she does not want to be in the front lines or in subs.

I agree with these comments but I believe the Liberal agenda is just going to push this because they need women to be "equal". It does not matter what I, you, or any other servicemen believe or want. They honestly do not care about us, they just want people to be "equal". Just like the DADT was repealed without a popular vote.
problem with the politicians thinking though is, wait for it,,, women arent equal. Not in a grueling physical situation. I know women who are tough as nails, but they do not posess the physical attributes to see direct combat

My only real issue with a woman fighting is if they become a POA and the things that could happen to them while a POA.

If it does pass it probably will not last once pictures are released of what happens to the ones that are captured. That will be a horrible sight for sure! My ex daughter-in-law is forward deployed in Afghanistan right now and I would be going completely insane if she was in a combat role....we worried plenty when she was in Baghdad last year.

I have always supported a one standard fight (male or female) If the job requires you to shoot expert, run 5 miles under 40 minutes and carry 40lbs for 12 miles then that is what it requires. I know MANY women that I would take to combat with me and proudly fight with them.

There are some issues that could come up but most are male induced and after a couple of deployments under my belt including one as a commander, I feel I can speak with a solid background.

One fight, one standard...for EVERYONE. Mission focused standards!

I think that if they really want to be infantry, there should be no reduced standard based on sex. The requirement should be the same as what it is for men. I don't like the idea of women on the front line either, but if they really want the job they need to meet the same physical requirement.

If you never volunteered, then dont judge. they already have more balls than you do.I wish they came up with a program called one man for one woman, which men would volunteer to replace women in combat roles and we could see how many of us against this would volunteer to replace them on the front lines:whistle: I have served with men who should have never been in, and did not measure up and they knew it. give me specific reasons for your reasons why they should not be on the lines. (ex) their cycle may get in the way, sex with others troops, rape after capture, Stinky puss on a hot day , hell most of these things happen with male soldiers. I just think our society is raised to protect our women, or to make them think we as men are the hunters and providers, problem is some of us men are not living up to our roles as the traditional man, so I guess baby girl has to step up and do what some of us aren't wiling to do, look in the mirror, sign up my brothers. I'm sure some of us would put our ex wife's or some ex girlfriends in the very front of the lines:whistle:

Back