making a mistake?

dolilind

Registered
My bike is in the shop, thanks to 99Busa for riding it over for me.

Here's the plan,
They have a undercut tranny with lower first and higher 6th gears to put in, heavy clutch springs and new clutch.
Motor wise, Off with the head to get race ported and polished, new cams, valves, spings ect., 13.1 pistons, off with the crank to get lightened balanced and remove the balancer gear, if he still has them lighter/stronger connecting rods, all new bearings, and such.

Making a mistake? or should i just do the 1397, in his words i would only get 5-10 more horses, but its about another 1800-2000.

No not a mistake. thats alot of money for 5 to 10 horses. I'm surprised it would be that much more. Your already getting dif. pistons. so whats left besides boring.

I don't understand why it would be another 1800-2000 for a 1397. You are already buying pistons... should be less than 500 more.

All things being pretty much equal, you are looking about about 7.5% more displacement. should be closer to 12-13 more peak horsepower.

About the only other expense should be doing something with the starter system. If you go with 13.1 you are going to be borderline when hot depending on the cams and cam timing.

Why the change in ratios?

1363 and 1397 Pistons are the same price. To bore for each piston is the same price. Head gaskets are the same price. Click on this link. What is the total price for the build?

HAYBUSAZONE ZONE

Last edited:
Not really sure what the difference would be. I know the parts prices and what is involved but can't really figure out the price difference myself. I will have to talk that over with them toomorrow.

it wouldn't be very smart to go through all of that and not increase displacement. However unless its a race bike, I would stay with a CR 12.5:1 at most to avoid starting problems.

should be a difference of maybe $600 tops with shipping of the block etc.

My bike is in the shop, thanks to 99Busa for riding it over for me.

Here's the plan,
They have a undercut tranny with lower first and higher 6th gears to put in, heavy clutch springs and new clutch.
Motor wise, Off with the head to get race ported and polished, new cams, valves, spings ect., 13.1 pistons, off with the crank to get lightened balanced and remove the balancer gear, if he still has them lighter/stronger connecting rods, all new bearings, and such.

Making a mistake? or should i just do the 1397, in his words i would only get 5-10 more horses, but its about another 1800-2000.

Sweet Jesus! $2000 for 5-10 h.p.? I'm not able to comprehend having to make such a decision. 10 hp is just barely noticeable and that's a lot of jack. I guess my question is can you already use all the power you have? Vman1300 is probably only about 1 of 2, maybe 3, busa riders that I've ridden with who could actually use all their power. On the flip side, if this bike is for drag racing and you're loaded, more power to ya........literally.

Ian
REDLINE ENGINEERING - Sportbike Swingarm Paddock Race Stands Sport Bike Motorcycle Lifts Swing Arm Stand Jack Suzuki Honda Yamaha Kawasaki

Sounds like a lot of money considering you could lose those horses fast if its not running perfect most of the time?

Sounds like you already have a solid plan and will have a sweet motor that makes plenty of HP. Save your $$$:bowdown:

Talked to the shop today. Seems like they had one plan for the motor and i have another. Due to differences im not taking my bike there.
But on other terms, The guys at Carpenter and i are on the same plain. So when i make my ride to MD for thanksgiving guess where my bike will be stay'n till X-mas. :laugh:

Back