Made a mistake

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
Yup so sometime last week I wanted to see what it could do. I usually power up in first and always with the hump on. Well I temporarily stopped that because its comes up too fast. So I then tried 2nd gear power ups. This seemed to be a better option as the first 2 times I did it I actually rode it out through 2nd gear. Man that was awesome. The front tire would chirp as it comes down because I am exiting at a faster rate than I began.

I am usually one not for tricks so I put my passenger seat on to keep me from doing the wheelies because it always made me seem to fall off because of no support. Well I made the mistake of getting comfortable with the passenger seat on, riding it out, 1st, 2nd. I love the way the engine screaming riding through 2nd on one wheel to redline!

In 2nd it comes up 6.5rpm and controlable for the most part. 1st I can do it from a stand still launch or get going like 15mph and rear tire slipping like a mofo while pulling up (pulls up slower than at speed because of little traction)

Man the wheelies are fun but I kinda wish I did not learn them lol. At least I have self control to not do it ALL the time. I can tell a hint of a 3rd gear wheelie in store. I will focus on that next.

Yeah, 2nd gear is where it's at. Nice job. Try pulling it up around 4,500-5,000 that's where I get it up and it's a little smoother. I've had problems with 2nd though, giving it too much gas and it stands up RIGHT NOW. The problem with the busa is that it accelerates so hard that when your doing wheelies, it's a handfull with all the speed. I guess clutch ups would be better, but I don't want to learn them on the busa.

2nd gear is in my adenga as I get more comfortable with her. 1st gear is OK but 2nd gear I am dying to start toying with myself. Have fun!

I'm afraid it will be up and over before I know it, Don't want to scratch it or better yet don't want to scratch me
SHOCKED.gif

(Busa Dude @ Sep. 19 2006,20:43) I'm afraid it will be up and over before I know it, Don't want to scratch it or better yet don't want to scratch me
SHOCKED.gif
+1

Ill admit Ive never done a willie in my life. I tried as couple times on my old 88 zx-10 but didn't have the guts to really hit the throttle like you need to.

(HayaBoosta03 @ Sep. 19 2006,19:26) Yup so sometime last week I wanted to see what it could do.  I usually power up in first and always with the hump on.  Well I temporarily stopped that because its comes up too fast.  So I then tried 2nd gear power ups.  This seemed to be a better option as the first 2 times I did it I actually rode it out through 2nd gear. Man that was awesome.  The front tire would chirp as it comes down because I am exiting at a faster rate than I began.

I am usually one not for tricks so I put my passenger seat on to keep me from doing the wheelies because it always made me seem to fall off because of no support.  Well I made the mistake of getting comfortable with the passenger seat on, riding it out, 1st, 2nd.  I love the way the engine screaming riding through 2nd on one wheel to redline!

In 2nd it comes up 6.5rpm and controlable for the most part.  1st I can do it from a stand still launch or get going like 15mph and rear tire slipping like a mofo while pulling up (pulls up slower than at speed because of little traction)

Man the wheelies are fun but I kinda wish I did not learn them lol.  At least I have self control to not do it ALL the time.  I can tell a hint of a 3rd gear wheelie in store. I will focus on that next.
get yourself a litre bike and you can throttle a wheelie at 90 + mph with ease!

newbie.gif

I hit mine fairly hard pretty regular and my front hasn't come up yet (well, maybe a little).

You guys got different gearing/mods or what?

Never done a wheelie and although I'd like to, doubt I'll be learning on my bike. It would kill me if I wrecked her.

I hit mine fairly hard pretty regular and my front hasn't come up yet (well, maybe a little).[/Quote]
Changing gearing will allow you to do it at a slower speed.
You are not giving it enough gas in 1st gear if your front aint coming up....

i'm in on this one. never wheelied, just trying to launch faster. guys tell me to get the front light. takin' my time.

I nailed it in 3rd the other day going through a tunnel and my buddy behind me said I picked the front wheel up. I couldn't tell.

(Justyntym @ Sep. 20 2006,07:13)
newbie.gif

I hit mine fairly hard pretty regular and my front hasn't come up yet (well, maybe a little).

You guys got different gearing/mods or what?

Never done a wheelie and although I'd like to, doubt I'll be learning on my bike. It would kill me if I wrecked her.
I've only gone up 1 in the rear, but i'm 275lbs. It's all technique and throttle control. I'd like to do standups but i'm 6'4" and when I do, the gauges are at my waist and i'm towering over the bike -not very safe feeling. You should try cutting the throttle for a split second and then throttle it up.

If you are sitting against the hump when you are on the rear tire, you are way to far back. Scoot your boys up tight against the tank and squeeze the tank with your knees to keep you there while you are up. You'll find it much easier to ride once the front is high in the air.

Oh, and don't get excited about doing power wheelies in third, it ain't gonna happen on a stock busa unless you put a 60 tooth sprocket on the rear. You can do second gear wheelies but not without some help from you. Just wacking the throttle in second won't get you up in second gear. You may get the tire to break loose a few inches but you won't get it all the way up.

You'd be wise to stay in low gear until you have mastered the wheelie. Low gear crash is much easier on your carcass than second gear.

When you tell me you are bringing your busa up from a standing start in low gear, makes me think you may be exagerating your story just a bit? Your busa won't come up from a standing start, especially with a power wheelie and if you clutch it hard enough to get it up from a standing start, it will just spin the tire. And,,,,,,,,,,, it won't come up at 15 mph without clutching it hard and even then you may just spin the rear?

Keep us posted. Will be interesting to see how you progress. Wheelies are as addictive as Cocaine. Once you start, just makes you want more
beerchug.gif

I can ride out the first 3 gears, 4th just gets too fast/unstable for me. I usually power up 1st/2nd and bounce up 3rd... or I'll shift at th ebalance point from 2nd to 3rd. i can keep that sucker floating up there pretty good
smile.gif
watch the fork seals while you are trying to get good.. when she hits.. she hits hard!

Tufbusa I am on 16/42 gearing and my bike will do everthing I have stated. I will not clutch up thats one thing I will not do. I have to be traveling fast in 3rd to get it up, I had it bounce up one me at same rpm as in 2nd when it comes up. I am curious to see if I will get it up. You are right they ARE addicting!

Did my first real power wheelie on the zx11 in first gear with my wife on the back and a corbin backrest installed.

needless to say, - when I looped it, it taught me to stop doing that ****.

Until you have felt it go all the way over, and you wrecked your bike and yourself, - you never appreciate how quickly fun turns into dread.

The bike goes over the happy point really fast if you don't know what you are doing. I powerup slightly sometimes on hard acceleration, - more with the zx12r than with my busa, - but I must admit....

I feel pretty nervous when it comes up, because I know the pain of the all too familiar loop.

(HayaVegas @ Sep. 20 2006,17:15) Did my first real power wheelie on the zx11 in first gear with my wife on the back and a corbin backrest installed.

needless to say, - when I looped it, it taught me to stop doing that ****.

Until you have felt it go all the way over, and you wrecked your bike and yourself, - you never appreciate how quickly fun turns into dread.

The bike goes over the happy point really fast if you don't know what you are doing.  I powerup slightly sometimes on hard acceleration, - more with the zx12r than with my busa, - but I must admit....

I feel pretty nervous when it comes up, because I know the pain of the all too familiar loop.
You are correct about the looping business. I hear guys on here all the time say "Don't forget to cover your rear brake when you do wheelies". This is just an old wives tale someone has told them, never experiencing it themselves. Using the rear brake is delightful once you have become comfortable riding the rear tire. A little rear brake is mandatory when doing slow wheelies. But to save you from a loop, I think not because, if you loop your scooter it will happen so quickly you won't have time to think about the rear brake, much less use it. I think you can vouch for that?

Back