$1000 Mistake

JK308

Registered
Last Saturday evening, after re-assembly of Betty after Winter cleaning and inspection, I dropped her off the rear stand after looking to see the sidestand was down. Evidently it wasn't down all the way because she fell right into the front of my car. The old Bimmer somehow escaped injury but Betty suffered a broken mirror and a huge dent in her tank. :banghead:

A quick visit to Pashnit.com has rectified the former with a nice set of faux carbon GSX-R mirrors on the way but what to do about the tank I do not know. I believe a new tank is about $1000 so I'll be exploring options. I am absolutely livid at myself for making such stupid mistake after so many years. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'vs heard of people having pretty good luck with Paintless Dent Removal as long as the metal's not creased/paint's not cracked,etc.,may be an option worth looking into.

I am looking into all of those options. For now, I have ordered a full coverage Bagster tank bra to hide my stupidity in the short term. The damage is likely too severe for PDR. Most likely course of action will be a dent free tank from eBay and have it painted to match. Speaking of which, where do I find the paint code on this thing?

I haven't had good luck with the paintless dent repair for motorcycle fuel tanks (I had to repair a dent in a previous bike that someone was gracious enough to give me!). That kit seems to be designed for automotive projects, and the metal on automobiles is much thinner than on motorcycle fuel tanks. I think the tanks are double-lined (correct me if I'm wrong). I would think that taking it to someone to drill, pull the dent out, and repaint would be far cheaper than purchasing a new tank. I couldn't pull up the images on your page... so I'm not sure if you have graphics on your tank. That's the only thing "I" would be concerned about (graphics).

No graphics. Just the silver "S" which is attached with adhesive backing and cheap to replace. There is significant damage with heavy creasing through the beginning of the knee cutout area. I'll take to a good body guy I know and see what he says before I decide on a course of action.

Thank you Superzooki!! Mine is the Pearl Nebular Black. But is 4970 the factory code or just ColerRite's code?

Mirrors from Pashnit arrived today. They look much better than stock and are about half the weight. I even took her out for a spin around town. It felt good to ride.

I have looked at the posts describing the mod but I haven't really seriously considered it yet. I have this nagging voice in the back of my head that wonders if the mod might weaken the stand.

I have looked at the posts describing the mod but I haven't really seriously considered it yet. I have this nagging voice in the back of my head that wonders if the mod might weaken the stand.

If it helps you out I am 240 and it will hold me and the bike up.

Do not fear it. :laugh:

You only remove between .125 and .187 inch of metal so that the stand can swing out farther. Those amounts will move it forward between 1.5 and 2 inches.
After removing some with a cut off wheel I then used a file to get a really good fit and contact.

I don't usually sit on my bike with the stand down - but I could if I wanted to.
Just holding the bike up would be fine and I would never worry about it breaking in any way, shape, or form.

I personally feel it makes a big difference and feel my bike has little chance of tipping over even if it moved a couple of inches forward.

No real money for this mod but it could save someone well over a thousand dollars - so it should be a no brainer, IMO

Back