Tranny must be really bad

KhandyRhedBhusa

Registered
Now 3rd gear disengages as 2nd does under load. its like 50/50 chance this will happen in 3rd.
The forks must be bent severely for this to happen for 3rd gear. 2nd is famous for this.
Fortunatley I bought a used perfect condition, no damage tranny for 270 total from eBay.
Also I found an undercutting service for 100$ so I will build up my current one with
billet forks and undercut 2nd and 3rd for hopefully when I go 1397.

It truly sucks to have a bad tranny for even 1 gear! take off nice in 1st, then hear the mess when you shift/mishift sounds like a n00b throwing around a tool box. Oh and yeah I will attempt this changeover with a friend.

I am having this same problem and i was wondering if the new tranny, undercutting and the billet forks solved the problem for you?

Hey don't forget new stronger shift fork shafts. Try to get upgraded stronger ones since the stockers flex likely helping cause the bent forks.

Now 3rd gear disengages as 2nd does under load. its like 50/50 chance this will happen in 3rd.
The forks must be bent severely for this to happen for 3rd gear. 2nd is famous for this.
Fortunatley I bought a used perfect condition, no damage tranny for 270 total from eBay.
Also I found an undercutting service for 100$ so I will build up my current one with
billet forks and undercut 2nd and 3rd for hopefully when I go 1397.

It truly sucks to have a bad tranny for even 1 gear! take off nice in 1st, then hear the mess when you shift/mishift sounds like a n00b throwing around a tool box. Oh and yeah I will attempt this changeover with a friend.

check the dogs good when ya get it..

Bummer. At least you have the Winter to get it done. You may not have too much winter weather in Texas though. ???

Sounds like you have a plan. +1 on the stronger shifter shafts!

Just my opinion: Billet shifter forks are a double edged sword. If your forks are less forgiving as the gears they control, you are in for problems down the road. Check your shifter drum VERY carefully. If in doubt-replace it. Make sure the pawls and detents are CLEAN and SMOOTH. You can get stock forks to behave very well by shot-peening them, cleaning up the chamfer of the shaft bores, polishing the areas that the forks engage the gears, and if you want to get tricky, broach a 2MM keyway into the shaft bore for oil retention. Back-cutting/undercutting/dog bevelling of your gears is a VERY wise investment.
:thumbsup:

Billet shift shafts are available through APE (I can get them if you need them). I have never heard of billet forks, though a lot of people ask for them mistakenly meaning shift shafts. Get that dude undercut, Fast by Gast does very nice work and very quick turn around. Replace any messed up shift forks (can get you those as well), pick up a lower end cometic gasket kit (can get that also LOL). Do you have the engine socket needed to pull the motor? Let me know if there is anything I can help out with parts wise.

Greg

Back