2nd gear problems

dbusa101

Registered
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the 2nd gear problem we all have heard so much about? I ve got 23000 miles with the stock clutch and Ill be darned if the gears didnt go before the clutch. I can do an undercut tranny for 1500 but was curious if I could just replace the gear for much less money?

...sorry bout' the ignorance!! But what is the 2nd gear problem
rock.gif
blush.gif

2nd gear problem? Know about the 5th to 6th neutral problem when breaking in the bike, but the a 2nd gear problem? not sure on this one.
rock.gif

You can go back with oem gears and they should be fine...Labor is what your paying for unless your doing the work yourself...Take a good look at all the gears but you want to concentrate on 1st thru 3rd...

I know several people that Have had there 2nd gear's go out on there bikes. Too much racing, too many wheelies, and too much horsepower. Im sure its a combination of all three. But anyway, its always 2nd gear that goes. I found out today that it would be 500 just to replace the factory equipment. or I can take it to KWS motorsports and Have it modified for 1500, so I guess Ill be going to South Carolina.

Thanx stunnah. Its tempting to save the cash and go with the oem parts, then I can spend the cash on my throttle bodies,
biggrin.gif

Kevin At KWS told me that he would change the shifting fork and drum and change 2 gears and do the undercut to make it harder for it to pop out of gear.

You don't need undercut unless you plan on doing alot of racing or lots of HP...

undercut meaning they take some off the housing to make it a closer fit I believe, Ive been trying to study it and learn if its worth it or not. Ive got 23000 miles with stock clutch and gears, about 5000 are with the extra horsepower and all of the miles I've been hard as hell on so,,
rock.gif

undercut meaning they take some off the housing to make it a closer fit I believe, Ive been trying to study it and learn if its worth it or not. Ive got 23000 miles with stock clutch and gears, about 5000 are with the extra horsepower and all of the miles I've been hard as hell on so,,
rock.gif
Here you go...

Undercut

Also the shift forks...
+1

When i took my bike in for repairs they asked my if i was having problems missing second gear after investigating they found my shift fork was bent. They replace 2nd 5th and 6th gear too.

If your gears are jacked and you have them replaced will your bike be faster?

Also the shift forks...
+1

When i took my bike in for repairs they asked my if i was having problems missing second gear after investigating they found my shift fork was bent.  They replace 2nd 5th and 6th gear too.  

If your gears are jacked and you have them replaced will your bike be faster?
Technically no...It just want hesitate/slip anymore...So in an essense you may see your time drop...

aight thanks...guess ill have to change my plugs and wires also

holla

Back