Looking for some suggestions ASAP!

GPW

Donating Member
Registered
I am here tuning our Turbo bike and have run into a problem. We cannot get the two-stage lock-up to hold over 18.8 psi,. torque is the problem right now.

The rpms spike, no wheel slip yet, no change in AFR to indicate a boost spike. Clearly blowing through the clutch.

I have replaced the clutch two times (static pressure is not helping just making clutch grabby) we are at 18.8 psi. My question is for those who have ventured down this path before.

Do I keep adding weight to the arms on the lock-up. If so at what increments and what could fail as a result of using too much weight. Any serious answers you can PM or call or email. Need some answers tonight thanks in advance..need it to hold 550 HP.

Greg

Last edited:
Ok you be a little over 300 bhp? witt 18,8 psi ? 330 ;)
Are you sure that it is the right oil
Hard to say with your Lock-up when the weight is unknown, but try to throw an extra washer / screw on

Ok you be a little over 300 bhp? witt 18,8 psi ? 330 ;)
Are you sure that it is the right oil
Hard to say with your Lock-up when the weight is unknown, but try to throw an extra washer / screw on

We are at 365 HP Intercooled 195 foot pounds of torque. This is unfortunately my strongest turbo I have built. Did not have this problem before the intercooler started working. It will make 30 psi easy not if the clutch won't hold.

Any suggestions would be great. Don't wanna have to turn this thing down. Using Mobil One Racing 4T. I got a note saying to use Castrol GTX ???

Last edited:
One reply so far..somehow I feel a clutch basket issue on the horizon...

Hey Greg, as long as the stack height is right, I would add a little static (grabbiness is not an issue in LSR), and add weight to the arms. Add more than you think you need, evenly to all arms, and as securely as possible. For LSR, there is no drawback to heavy arm weight. You want the clutch to be solid, and onset time is not important. But all slip should be removed.

Special thanks to cdhoroho that man knows his stuff. Got me headed in the right direction. One hour on the phone! :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Last edited:
you are welcome greg
now good luck and ride safe
Thanks a ton... I see it as a good problem, means we are making more power. :beerchug:

DSCF1119.jpg

I know the clutch is letting loose at 6700 rpms but will the math stay the same at higher rpms.
the faster the clutch input shaft goes the more the force will be
but to a point before it just hazes the clutch
the higher the gear the harder it is to get the clutch to lock do to pressures and such induced to the system and the input shaft speeds
its sorta complicated to explain over the net lol

FYI:

Greg,
Adding more weight is probably the way to go, you can also increase the static spring pressure which will help throughout the run. I suppose too much weight could cause the pressure plate to fracture, we haven't been alerted to anyone have a failure related to too much weight. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, just that no one has told us of one. You can add 1-2 grams per arm at a time, just that little bit should make a noticeable change.

Sincerely,
Kevin Bookheimer
MTC Clutch Dept Supervisor
Tech Support

My MTC 2 stage lockup started slipping on the dyno around 500HP or in that neighborhood I think. Threw a MTC multistage in it and tuned it 600+ and it held fine

Ok we are up to 19.6 PSI clutch is still slipping at 8500 rpms now with 20 oz of weight added on the arms..396 HP @ 218 foot pounds of torque. Need to get to 30 psi...tearing it down again. No time for a MTC. Dam Intercooler. :whistle: We have zero issues other than over powering the clutch. We are not looking for dyno numbers we need 450 HP on the dot.

Last edited:
I think I found the problem we need a thicker clutch pack height, we have 6.2 MM of a gap between the arm and pressure plate, going to add 4MM to the clutch pack height and see if that helps. Any other tips please send them. Greg

Last edited:
Ok even with a ton of assistance from Chris Horoho and MTC we could not get the Cycle-Logic two stage clutch to hold power. We are able to pull to 9500 RPMS at that RPM range with 19.6 psi power is not bad at 404.98 HP and 232 foot pounds of torque at only 19.6 psi. I have concluded that the Cyclelogic Clutch two-stage lock-up is good for 330 HP max. We have a MTC clutch and basket on the way. Long day.............................................

ranger196psi.jpg

Last edited:
:bowdown: keep us posted. That would be a sweet bike to run.
Thanks Sir, will keep you posted this has been a long R&D project I just want to see the result I have put hundreds of hours into all for the first time, built from scratch. :beerchug:

Back