Anyone tried a dry clutch set-up?

brett

Registered
I am sure that there must have been previous threads about busa clutch woes, however, please bare with me, as I am new to the forum.

The bike loves low RPM launches (mid 1.50 60's). However, as I do not appear to have the talent to feather a stock clutch out, run consistent 60's and cut a light on a 4/10th's tree, I have tried to move toward more of a drag setup.

I have a strapped street/strip 2004 busa. Cable clutch conversion, MTC snow flake with billet inner, Brock cushion kit and 1.910" stack height using stock steels and fibres. Static pressure set to launch at 7000 rpm on the 2-step (to cut some decent lights) with about a 1.65 60' and three bolts with nuts on the lock-up.

Too much static and I get either a bog or tire spin, not enough and we drive through the clutch too hard.

The problem is the clutch is just too unpredictable.... Hooking up one pass and driving through it the next. Really blue steels (although still flat on a piece of glass) and dark fibres. I think we might be hazing the fibre centers on the inside plates which explains this somewhat...

We had a similar problem with a GS set-up until we solved the oiling problem and basically soaked the clutch. Because the busa just runs so dry with no apparent easy fixes, I am pondering a dry set-up?

I am going back through the cable clutch conversion tonight, to make sure that nothing is hanging up etc...

Any thoughts on the situation would be much appreciated. Don't be afraid to let me know if you think I have totally missed the boat.

it has been tried. I don't know the results though. It's hard to say if a dry setup would help or not. There are so many variables. I would like to add that there are plenty of folks making consistant 60's with a wet clutch. You may want to keep concentrating on the clutch and chassis setup.

:welcome::welcome:

How long are you sitting between runs?
Are you walking the bike to the water box or riding it? (more pushing means less heat)

I have watched a couple "national" event teams (rented the track for the day) and that is the scourge they faced as well.. the only thing that I saw they did was either let the thing cool or replace the clutch pack between runs..

Looks to me like a better fiber blend is needed on frictions..

Last edited:
we had that problem.....

we were at too low rpm during burnout, it was getting the clutch hot and giving us completely un-predictable results.

Thanks folks.

I received some guidance on a possible solution to get more oil into the inner hub. This would be the ideal solution, if it works out. Will advise in a few weeks after the next race weekend.

Back