Fuel pressure under boost

Nick Kickass

Registered
Hello.

RCC turbo kits have a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that causes the fuel pressure to go up to ~100 psi when under boost.

I have read that the purpose of this is to extend the range of the stock fuel injectors.

The guy trying to tune my bike says that the issue is, when under boost the fuel pressure is so high that the fuel injectors are locked open and therefore the changes made in the power commander have no effect.

I have read this somewhere too about fuel injectors - that they lock up above 60 or 70 psi.

He said the CO reading when it goes on boost is in the realm of 9-13 (which, according to this table [ The MG Experience: Library: CO% to Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) Table ] is obviously too rich I'd be shooting for more like 7-8 ) and basically with the way the kit is designed you have no control over the fuel when it is on boost.

Basically, to get it to run without being WAY over rich, I need bigger injectors (apparently the injectors found on the honda S2000 might work) and a normal boost regulated fuel pressure regulator that doesn't spike the pressure way high - just one that increases the fuel pressure by 1 psi for every 1 psi of boost.

They took it off the dyno and reverted the map on the top end to what it used to be when they saw they apparently had no control over the injectors while on boost.

So heres an important question: they didn't take it up any higher than 8K rpm (with less than full throttle). Does this kit lean out to a proper air to fuel ratio at higher rpms?

Their claim that these turbo kits are junk obviously has at least some truth because some basic kit problems they fixed were:

- Fixed air leak that was due to the kit using cheap hosing and used silicon hosing instead
- Fixed voltage drop between battery and fuel pump - fuel pump was drawing too much current for stock wiring so they now have stock harness controlling a relay and motor has a direct line to the battery.

So yeah. What is going on here?

Hope someone on here can help. Have heard nothing but good things about RCC kits from builders and from what I have read on the internet about them.

Sounds like you need a new tuner. Contact Frank at Powerhouse. He can answer any and all questions you have.

Via Tapatalk

Its easy to dismiss my post by insulting me - or maybe that's the sort of thing you go online for if you're that type.

I know exactly what I'm talking about because I'm very sure of everything I said. You have an issue with any particular point?

Hello.

RCC turbo kits have a rising rate fuel pressure regulator that causes the fuel pressure to go up to ~100 psi when under boost.

I have read that the purpose of this is to extend the range of the stock fuel injectors.

The guy trying to tune my bike says that the issue is, when under boost the fuel pressure is so high that the fuel injectors are locked open and therefore the changes made in the power commander have no effect.

I have read this somewhere too about fuel injectors - that they lock up above 60 or 70 psi.

He said the CO reading when it goes on boost is in the realm of 9-13 (which, according to this table [ The MG Experience: Library: CO% to Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) Table ] is obviously too rich I'd be shooting for more like 7-8 ) and basically with the way the kit is designed you have no control over the fuel when it is on boost.

Basically, to get it to run without being WAY over rich, I need bigger injectors (apparently the injectors found on the honda S2000 might work) and a normal boost regulated fuel pressure regulator that doesn't spike the pressure way high - just one that increases the fuel pressure by 1 psi for every 1 psi of boost.

They took it off the dyno and reverted the map on the top end to what it used to be when they saw they apparently had no control over the injectors while on boost.

So heres an important question: they didn't take it up any higher than 8K rpm (with less than full throttle). Does this kit lean out to a proper air to fuel ratio at higher rpms?

Their claim that these turbo kits are junk obviously has at least some truth because some basic kit problems they fixed were:

- Fixed air leak that was due to the kit using cheap hosing and used silicon hosing instead
- Fixed voltage drop between battery and fuel pump - fuel pump was drawing too much current for stock wiring so they now have stock harness controlling a relay and motor has a direct line to the battery.

So yeah. What is going on here?

Basically what is going on here is you are being mislead by someone who really has no business trying to tune a turbo bike, they may not even be qualified to tune any bike. The Suzuki injectors will not lock open with 60-70 psi of fuel pressure, they will not even lock open at 130 psi. The way the kit is designed and properly used, it is very tunable when on boost, you just have to know what you are doing. If your tuner had no control over the injectors while your bike was on boost then he was not adjusting the power commander properly, or the FMU is setup incorrectly. The cheap hosing you refer is actually the opposite, and we use it because silicone hose is not compatible with oil or gas. Our fuel pumps do not draw too much current for the factory circuit, sounds like you have wiring issues that are being blamed on something else.

Now with all this being said, how old is your kit and from whom was it purchased? Reason I ask is just to confirm your allegations of the kit being junk, and if it actually is an RCC kit with all the originally parts, or does it now have cobbled up bits and pieces.

Richard

Its easy to dismiss my post by insulting me - or maybe that's the sort of thing you go online for if you're that type.

I know exactly what I'm talking about because I'm very sure of everything I said. You have an issue with any particular point?

Wasn't try to insult you nor dismiss you. Just trying to lead you to who you needed to talk to. Richard is on the case and there is no one better to handle your issues. Hope it works out for you!

Via Tapatalk

Basically what is going on here is you are being mislead by someone who really has no business trying to tune a turbo bike, they may not even be qualified to tune any bike. The Suzuki injectors will not lock open with 60-70 psi of fuel pressure, they will not even lock open at 130 psi. The way the kit is designed and properly used, it is very tunable when on boost, you just have to know what you are doing. If your tuner had no control over the injectors while your bike was on boost then he was not adjusting the power commander properly, or the FMU is setup incorrectly. The cheap hosing you refer is actually the opposite, and we use it because silicone hose is not compatible with oil or gas. Our fuel pumps do not draw too much current for the factory circuit, sounds like you have wiring issues that are being blamed on something else.

Now with all this being said, how old is your kit and from whom was it purchased? Reason I ask is just to confirm your allegations of the kit being junk, and if it actually is an RCC kit with all the originally parts, or does it now have cobbled up bits and pieces.

Richard

Sending PM.

No insult intended to you but sorry i know turbos and motorcycles fairly well and trust me richard knows his stuff

Nick - Not trying to be mean so hopefully you are not reading it that way.

...I have read this somewhere too about fuel injectors - that they lock up above 60 or 70 psi....

- Fixed air leak that was due to the kit using cheap hosing and used silicon hosing instead....

It may not be the best thing for you to keep repeating what you wrote above. Or someone may tell you "You sir have no clue what you are talking about "

Just because a shop has a dyno does not mean they can tune a turbo bike.
Just because a shop says they can tune a turbo bike does not mean they know how to tune it CORRECTLY.
My injectors see more than 70 psi everytime I go on boost (FMU on RCC kit), still riding after two years.

TODAYS NEW MATH:

Sloppy install + inept tuner = a bad kit

PAY ATTENTION! There's gonna be a test . . . . :stoopid:

I can't even go away for a few days . . .

TODAYS NEW MATH:

Sloppy install + inept tuner = a bad kit

PAY ATTENTION! There's gonna be a test . . . . :stoopid:

I can't even go away for a few days . . .

See what happens when you take a vacation?? :poke: how could you be so selfish:dunno:
:laugh:

Hope you had a good time!!

Via Tapatalk

Hokay, I have the bike back.

It idles steady, runs smoothly and makes decent power (223 hp, ~140 ft lbs). That seemed pretty low to me but apparently the full exhaust knocks off a good 15 hp or so and also the turbo is an older model (bought kit in 07') that doesn't make as much power but makes a high peak torque.

Apparently there were several minor issues, all of which were fixed now. Also it turned out it was a bad ring and pistons were OK. Ring was damaged ever since the initial install.

Anyhow I'm pretty happy with it. Jay at Stedman motorsports in Alabama did the work.

It doesn't feel like I'm riding a hack job anymore - I have enough confidence in its reliability now to take it on longer distance trips. It feels like the bike I always wanted it to be - a really ballsy sport tourer.

Now I just need to fix my scratched up right and front fairing so it looks as nice as it rides. Too bad good condition used stock bodywork for an 00' is almost impossible to find. Those china fairings on ebay look promising but I'm sure the tank cover thing looks like crap - maybe getting the tank painted to match wouldn't be that costly though.

Back