Looking at getting my CC

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
So, what would be a good suggestion for a first gun? My brother suggested a Springfield XD. So, I'm looking into that. I've shot his, and I like it. I'm fairly accurate with it. The reason I'm getting a gun first is to get better with my aim with the particular gun I'm gonna use for carry. So, anbody got another suggestion?

this one would be perfect for your size.

Rpg_7.jpg

If you are going to carry it on your person you may want to make sure it is small enough to be comfortable.

Kimber Ultra CDP II .45ACP

I just bought one of these and it a beautifully crafted weapon. Shoots excellent and with the 3" barrel is easy to conceal.

(BlueHaya @ May 23 2007,16:42) If you are going to carry it on your person you may want to make sure it is small enough to be comfortable.
I know the XD is. My brother has one, and I've tested it for the most part in the comfort factor... Haven't been to the range with it yet.

I have a CC and the Springfield XD-40, Sub-compact....
You won't be dissappointed with this weapon! Lot of bang for your buck...

(ToyKraz @ May 23 2007,16:44) Kimber Ultra CDP II  .45ACP

I just bought one of these and it a beautifully crafted weapon. Shoots excellent and with the 3" barrel is easy to conceal.
Oh yeah... Looking at spending about $500. Shoulda mentioned that.

A lot of folks carry 380's, compact , comfortable, easily concealed.

You're not a gun toter, and after the class you will not want the responsibility.

I have the XD-9 Sub Compact....
I also can wear a shoulder harness under my jacket with holds the gun an 2 xtra clips with no issues.

There have been zero issues with my XD and I have a few hundred rounds on it. It is wider than most models because of the 15rd capacity clip.
you have bigger hands and that will help with the feel.
FYI..be sure to get the extended clips, for wider hands.

I know the 40s and maybe the 45s also come in a ported model...but only the 4in models...and not the 3in sub compacts

and of course...they offer special and such every so often.
http://www.springfield-armory.com

the XD40 was ".40 CAL of the year" by G&A last year.

(dadofthree @ May 23 2007,15:30) A lot of folks carry 380's, compact , comfortable, easily concealed.

You're not a gun toter, and after the class you will not want the responsibility.
+1
I carry my gun less now that ever. Not to mention you can't take it anywhere city, state, or federal properties. Anywhere that handles money(banks check cashing etc.) most resturants and stores. the list goes on. It's a headache.

(dadofthree @ May 23 2007,16:27)
(yamahor @ May 23 2007,16:37)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ May 23 2007,16:31) this one would be perfect for your size.
biggrin.gif
KAY!!! Send that my way...
laugh.gif
Never said you were smart. He didn't mean it that way.
laugh.gif
I like Ben, he is sweet kid, I don`t think he need to carry any weapon.

Be careful I might hook him up with one of those little pistols.

zastava.jpg

laugh.gif

(yamahor @ May 23 2007,10:00) So, what would be a good suggestion for a first gun? My brother suggested a Springfield XD. So, I'm looking into that. I've shot his, and I like it. I'm fairly accurate with it. The reason I'm getting a gun first is to get better with my aim with the particular gun I'm gonna use for carry. So, anbody got another suggestion?
Hey Ben...a few years back i was the local IPSC club champ and have built and modified all sorts of tactical "Race" pistols in the past..and now i'll tell you what i tell everybody who asks that question...

"Buy...The One That Fits Your Hand...The Best!"

And what i mean by that is this..the one that gives you the best "Natural Pointability"...as every person has a different size/shape hand as does every pistol have differing size/shape "Grips".

When you find the one that fits you best you'll know it...and to verify that you have in fact chosen/selected a pistol that fits your hand properly and pocesses "natural pointability" for you?...do this simple test...

1. Stick the UNLOADED (yet to be purchased) pistol in a holster (or suffice using your waistband or even side pants pocket as a holster) and then?..

2. Draw The Unloaded Pistol...In slow natural "with purpose" movement...bury the web of your hand (the area between your thumb and index finger) deep into the pistols grip as far as it will go...this will help CENTER the pistols grip to your hand...let your fingers wrap naturally around the grip and draw...NOTE: DO NOT Allow The Pistol to roll in your hand as you draw..if it doesn't feel natural as you draw?...the it just ain't for you....then once drawn?... take notice if the muzzle/barrel is in perfect alignment with your forearm or not...for right handers?...too large of a grip and the muzzle will tend to naturally point too the right...to small of a grip?..and you'll tend to bobble it...(lack of consistancy)...but with the right one?...you should be able to close your eyes...draw...and then open your eyes and the front sight post should be sitt'in right in the center of the rear sight notch..and "THAT'S"....."the one"...for you.

There's a few good ones out there in the $500 "range"..The XD's are nice...and I absolutlyLOVE the Glocks..as a matter of fact?..a guy your size oughta be right at home with a Glock21....it's a Full Duty Size Double Stack .45acp with a nice big grip for your huge hand...You would also do well to find a H&K U.S.P. as these are also of formidable full size and if i'm not mistaken?...have a modular/adjustable "Palm Swell" with interchangeable palm swell modules of differeing sizes..plainly?...an adjustable grip.

As a friend and a brother?..I'd highly recomend you go with the Glock21..and if you still find the grip on the puny side? (which it ain't)..you could slip on a pachmyer wrap around grip to custom fit it to your hand..the glocks rock..and you couldn't afford enough ammo to wear it out or break it..they are that good.

Here's my Glock19...

pistols.jpg

and here's my...uhem..."credentials"..

trophy.jpg

Hope that helps..happy shopping..and?.. L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back