Lane splitting

time to put on the icon timax gloves and do the right thing bro. Lane spliting is the whole reason I took up motorcycling.

If he wants to get out, you get off you bike fk'em up. All that time we spend doing push ups on our bikes do a number on our pecs and arm strength. To be honest, I've never seen a biker lose to a cager.:angry:
tounge.gif

/rant

In Maine for instance there is no real line law the lines are suggestions which leaves a pass to be interepreted by a LEO if safe or not. So even on the dotted line you can get a ticket for unsafe pass. Now that is not to say if I passed a guy going 75 MPH just missed a car in a head on and almost caught the bumper of the guy behind me I wouldnt expect a ticket. But as in all things there are a few bad apples out there to ruin it for all...... riders and LEO

Somebody still seems confused, so I'll jump in
wink.gif

Lane splitting in California is illegal. The act of changing from one lane, back to another lane, and back, and back or riding dead on the painted line. To cross the painted lines, you have to signal properly and clear the lane.

Lane sharing in California is legal. This is the act of being in the same lane as another vehicle, you never cross the painted lines. Think of it like this, you can lane share with another motorcycle like CHiPs and you can do it with a car or truck too.

So, Lane Sharing=completely legal.
And Lane Splitting=illegal, but tolerated.

Somebody still seems confused, so I'll jump in
wink.gif

So, Lane Sharing=completely legal.
And Lane Splitting=illegal, but tolerated.
Semantics dude.

It is possible that an ass-like LEO will cite you for lane splitting as you described it. But realistically, meaning in practice, nobody ever looks down there how often you hit the painted broken white lines. Just go between the cars in a safe manner. That's good enough. So I guess you're right--it's tolerated.

I lane split ALL THE TIME especially here in CALI. Saves time and the ENGINE (especially in this desert heat). Haven't had any issues but one guy tried to catch me and prolly start sh*t. Obviously I'm too fast for his gay a$$ Excursion cuz I never saw him again in my rearview.

Do it everyday and have only had problems with out of state 28's, visitors that don’t know the CVC. We get triple A with a gun (CHP) giving us safety lectors once a quarter here on base and they all tell us to do it but to do it in a safe manner. If you think it is unsafe please look me up the next time you are down here and I will be glad to show you the proper way to do it. Also for everyone saying how unsafe it is I would like to point out that exceeding the posted speed limit is unsafe as well.

Do it everyday and have only had problems with out of state 28's, visitors that don’t know the CVC. We get triple A with a gun (CHP) giving us safety lectors once a quarter here on base and they all tell us to do it but to do it in a safe manner. If you think it is unsafe please look me up the next time you are down here and I will be glad to show you the proper way to do it. Also for everyone saying how unsafe it is I would like to point out that exceeding the posted speed limit is unsafe as well.
Who exceeds posted speed limits?
wow.gif

biggrin.gif

New here and I agree with trasher fox........it basically boils down to jealousy.
same in my country trinidad. over here we ride on the white line on a 2 way road thats usually about 20 feet wide and it nots a problem, unsafe yes, never heard of any accident because of it though.

Even on the highway we ride between cars just make sure are on the white line (unwritten biker law).

As for traffic, we ride wherever we can find a space to pass hittn car mirrors on the way through.

Dont have a bike now as I am in canada and dont really care as the roads are all straight, 60kms speed limits and cops everywhere u look and insurances that reach for the sky.

"As for traffic, we ride wherever we can find a space to pass hittn car mirrors on the way through.

Dont have a bike now as I am in canada"

Good! Now you can't scare people with a motorcycle.

Ok I am gonna have to stand up for the semis here guys. I drive one for a living. Tell you all what go find a billboard and rig it up so you can tow it with your car. Tell me on a nice moderatly windy day how well you keep it in your lane. Not too mention the 80,000 pounds driving through ruts in the lane that just yank the wheel out of your hands. I am not saying here that there aren't idiot truckdrivers out there that are on their phone  not paying attention but I do know that on more than one occasion I have drifted into another lane. As for the guys that run the over the road thing. Go to a major city where you have never been to with something that is 70 feet long. 13 foot 6 high. And tell me how well you do at navigating. Its not easy. You end up having to back up down a lot of streets because of a bridge, making stupid 3 lane wide turns just to turn a corner. Any how just some words of wisdom. By the way as mad as we all get at trucks just remember this the truck always wins.
Just to clarify, I am not bashing all semi drivers, just like I am not bashing all private vehicle drivers, just like I am not bashing all bikers.
My post was about bastards that tailgate, then pass with any vehicle without pulling completely out of my lane.
When you are in a 80,000lb truck that you are fighting to stay in your lane, due to wind, ruts, equipment, sleepiness, boredom, sleepiness, distraction, you should maybe think of a new career.
A guy in here said he would not want to be on the highway with me because I protect my lane, and here you are saying semis have little control, that they can regularily drift into other lanes, yikes.

Ok I am gonna have to stand up for the semis here guys. I drive one for a living. Tell you all what go find a billboard and rig it up so you can tow it with your car. Tell me on a nice moderatly windy day how well you keep it in your lane. Not too mention the 80,000 pounds driving through ruts in the lane that just yank the wheel out of your hands. I am not saying here that there aren't idiot truckdrivers out there that are on their phone  not paying attention but I do know that on more than one occasion I have drifted into another lane. As for the guys that run the over the road thing. Go to a major city where you have never been to with something that is 70 feet long. 13 foot 6 high. And tell me how well you do at navigating. Its not easy. You end up having to back up down a lot of streets because of a bridge, making stupid 3 lane wide turns just to turn a corner. Any how just some words of wisdom. By the way as mad as we all get at trucks just remember this the truck always wins.
Just to clarify, I am not bashing all semi drivers, just like I am not bashing all private vehicle drivers, just like I am not bashing all bikers.
My post was about bastards that tailgate, then pass with any vehicle without pulling completely out of my lane.
When you are in a 80,000lb truck that you are fighting to stay in your lane, due to wind, ruts, equipment, sleepiness, boredom, sleepiness, distraction, you should maybe think of a new career.
A guy in here said he would not want to be on the highway with me because I protect my lane, and here you are saying semis have little control, that they can regularily drift into other lanes, yikes.
Dang Ken..

Well at least one thing can be said about you.. you are not prejudice..

You hate everyone equally!!!! bikes, semi's auto's, little old ladies in wheel chairs!!!!!

poke.gif

hehehehe  .. sorry couldnt resist  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147480763 -->

I would never do it, very unsafe. I have a couple guys every week that do it to me when I am in my car or dually, if I am in the car I just try to get them to pull over so we can 'talk', but if I am in the dually I move them into their own lane as they pass. I am a very defensive driver, very conscientous (wow I think I got that right) and like I have mentioned before, 24 years of volunteer Rescue/EMS makes me think twice about doing stupid #### like that.
When you guys do that crap, you should go help out the local fire department and EMS, see what is actually involved in tc's.
Seriously, you work as a rescue/EMS and you actually admit to trying to "move" bikes into their own lane... or getting them to pull over to "talk".....
rock.gif
? WTF??? and you ride too???
are you trying to create a TC to keep yourself in a job?

...umm, Actually, it is NOT legal in CA... just tolerated... Ask a CHP if it is LEGAL. They can cite you for a couple of moving violations EZ.

"While not specifically prohibited by Motor Vehicle Code..."

I used to teach the MSF course out here and got asked that question in every class. One of the CMSP (CA MSF org) people out here was a CHP Motorcycle cop gave us the above quote. I do not remember the whole of it.
Russ you are wrong.. lane splitting is legal..

However you are correct, and I have been told this by CHP before, while that cant site a person for lane splitting, if they want to get someone they will use other means to justify the ticket that would indicate unsafe operation of the motorcycle..
It's not "illegal"...there is no law for it or against it.
CHP buddy of mine said "if you are splitting too fast, you'll get a ticket for driving unsafe"
"how fast is too fast?"
"whatever the cop thinks is too fast."
"what does the cop usually think is too fast?"
"um...don't pass him."

I would never do it, very unsafe. I have a couple guys every week that do it to me when I am in my car or dually, if I am in the car I just try to get them to pull over so we can 'talk', but if I am in the dually I move them into their own lane as they pass. I am a very defensive driver, very conscientous (wow I think I got that right) and like I have mentioned before, 24 years of volunteer Rescue/EMS makes me think twice about doing stupid #### like that.
When you guys do that crap, you should go help out the local fire department and EMS, see what is actually involved in tc's.
Seriously, you work as a rescue/EMS and you actually admit to trying to "move" bikes into their own lane... or getting them to pull over to "talk".....
rock.gif
? WTF??? and you ride too???
are you trying to create a TC to keep yourself in a job?
YES
And I carry a Barrett .50 in my saddlebag, so if they are just wounded I can take them out up to 1200 yards.

AND- you should see what I do to kids on skateboards, I drive a combine the wrong way thru traffic to make sure I get them all.

EMT/Rescue is volunteer, jackass.

you should read all the posts.

I have NEVER run anyone off the road, if you dont catch the entire conversation, how about stfu?

Damn this post is still up from last night.
laugh.gif
All i gotta say is lane splitting and lane sharing (except 2 bikes) is illegal and not tolerated in florida. I gotta ticket for it on A1A in ft lauderdale. crazy thing was I was just moving up to the front of the line at a stoplight (2 cars). Cop runs his car over the sidewalk and stopsright in the intersection of a main intersection Sunrise blvd and A1A gets out. turns off my bike by removing the key and makes me push my bike to the curb. then has the gall to give me a ticket for lane splitting and reckless driving. if I was reckless driving what the h&ll do you call what he did?
rock.gif
anyways 69 bucks to the ticket clinic and all was resolved. Plus all the hot babes were smiling as they walked by, thinking I musta done something really cool to get pulled over. so I just sat there lookin' smooth.
cool.gif

I split lanes like mad here in So. Cal.  

One day months ago, I look at my gloves and noticed my left glove is a lot more worn down than my left side.  Then I check my boots... Same thing, left one a lot more worn out than the right.  Then I figured it out!  I'm simply NOT using my brakes all that much.  I simply split lanes when it gets even moderately congested or if I'm coming up to a pack of traffic held up by one or two idiotic cages that's holding up the freeway/street.  So it's not really that I'm clutching and shifting more, I just brake less and split lanes more.

I agree, some cagers will close gap on me simply because they have that "I'm sitting in traffic, so you should too." mentality.  A equal amount have actually open up for me, and I give them the sportbikers salute as I pass them (almost always).

Safety Factor:
One day I spoke with a coworker of mine at my office and she thought I was more than psychotic to split lanes.  And I explained to her that beyond the overheating the bike and rider reasoning (which was enough for her), there was the safety factor.  In my opinion and limited experience, the MOST dangereous place in the world for ANY biker is caught in a pack of traffic.  That's like being in a sardine can WAITING to get CRUNCHED.  Even at the red traffic light, or especially.  

I much rather take that split second of chance/risk with each cage as I pass them, then take those much longer seconds upt to minutes of risk riding behind a grandma waiting for her to slam on her brakes at the next mild curve, or in front of a racing cager that's riding my rear Power Pilots waiting to rear end me (especially if it's grandma in front of me).... that my friends is the sardine can scenario.

So those of you that aren't in CA to split, or even if you don't split yourself though you are in CA... Consider that beyond patiences, and overheating yourself and your bike.

Now check out the pics of my clutch side glove and brake side glove.

Notice the worn leather on the index finger and the stitching on the palm underneath the fingers that are undone....

BusaHaya, I need new gloves!!!  Or at least the clutch side.

<!--EDIT|eynlai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147486413 -->

Photo_051206_001.jpg

here's the brake side.

Notice the index finger is still smooth and intact. also the palm stitching is intact unlike my clutch side in the previous pic.

<!--EDIT|eynlai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147486270 -->

Photo_051206_002.jpg

If I were in CA I'd split all day, but here (MI) most of the time its not worth the greif. Of course there are occasional exceptions.

Back