Lane splitting

Thanks for the links[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. Knowledge is power.

super.gif

ok guys...didnt mean for people to get upset...no fighting
tounge.gif
i would say 99% of everyone here splits...:-D

obviously I am missing something here, lane splitting, lane sharing, can you please explain these to me? I would guess they both mean you are sharing one lane, very illegal in canada, fines and points are the result of being found guilty of undue care and attention, passing when unsafe, and further if the Officer and judge see fit, dangerous driving which means a HUGE fine in the thousands and loss of license.

I dont condone 140 mph sharing lanes, I dont like the term fuggem, I mean do you guys not drive cars or trucks at all? Dont you get winter? We cant drive bikes in the winter to our igloos, the sled dogs get caught in the tires.

<!--EDIT|Ken02busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147410440 -->

Glad cooler heads have prevailed. I guess this was a extremely tender subject. but now this is all cleared up lets go gang up on that "trade show" guy who wants to "rent" someone busa. and grab another cold one.
laugh.gif
beerchug.gif

obviously I am missing something here, lane splitting, lane sharing, can you please explain these to me? I would guess they both mean you are sharing one lane, very illegal in canada, fines and points are the result of being found guilty of undue care and attention, passing when unsafe, and further if the Officer and judge see fit, dangerous driving which means a HUGE fine in the thousands and loss of license if accidents occur.

I dont condone 140 mph sharing lanes, I dont like the term fuggem, I mean do you guys not drive cars or trucks at all? Dont you get winter? We cant drive bikes in the winter to our igloos, the sled dogs get caught in the tires.
Winter? I am in California.. can you please explain the term Winter?
biggrin.gif

What the He11 is an igloo?  
crazy.gif

yeah I dont condone it either, except in the case where I have had multiple cages purpously block me up and I did it only to get out of the frag pattern (I.E. get as far away from the cars as fast as possible in order to NOT get caught up in the stupidity) and I have not done it that often, only in extreem cases

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147410593 -->

Winter? I am in California.. can you please explain the term Winter? [/QUOTE]
LMAO....But that really irritates the snow birds every time .....so do it again please
devil.gif

When I was on my Road Star Warrior (1700cc twin with roadhouse muffler-- read LOUD) I had a guy in a little slammed red honda (civic or the likes -- complete with fart muffler and boom boom sound system) watching me in his rear view and came over on purpose to block me (put his wheels bout 1/4" off the line). I knew his window was down, cause his arm was out. The guy in the #1 lane saw him doing this and squeezed to the far left to let me by the idiot. I turned just as I passed his door and let him have a full blast rev in the face from the roadhouse. He jumped so hard he smashed his head on the doorframe. He was damn lucky it was just the exhaust and not a hard right fist.

<!--EDIT|xzvs
Reason for Edit: "stil lernig to spel"|1147411027 -->

(1700cc twin with roadhouse muffler-- read LOUD[/QUOTE]
My neighbor has a VTX with similar setup. He uses it to leaf blow his driveway......seriously.
bowdown.gif

It fun when you touch on a "spot" and everybody reacts...

I do the same thing when someone doe sshid, I've even knocked back mirrors and kicked doors...

obviously I am missing something here, lane splitting, lane sharing, can you please explain these to me? I would guess they both mean you are sharing one lane, very illegal in canada, fines and points are the result of being found guilty of undue care and attention, passing when unsafe, and further if the Officer and judge see fit, dangerous driving which means a HUGE fine in the thousands and loss of license.

Ken, I couldn't tell you the difference between splitting and sharing.  Sounds like the same thing, just legal bullshit added on to allow for tickets.  IMO, anyway.  What you are essentially doing is riding in between 2 vehicles that are going in the same direction.  That puts you directly on the broken white lines between the lanes.  You are in NEITHER lane, and you are expected NOT to stay there.

I recently did some lane splitting in Northern Kentucky, in almost stopped traffic, in the rain, at night.  A truck had overturned, and blocked all but the far left lane.  Traffic was backed up for 3-4 miles, and we have these signs over the highway that tell you approximate time to major areas.  An area I was going through on my trip was approximately 10 miles from where I was.  The sign said over an hour to get there.  I chose to lane split.  Traffic couldn't have been moving more than 10mph, stopping frequently, I was moving about 15-20, steadily.  Nobody around me made any sudden moves, (at least that I know of, didn't dare look in my mirrors), and I didn't try to go through a gap I thought was too small.  It was scary the first few minutes, but once I got used to it I realized I was safer doing this than hanging back and having people possibly change lanes into me.

Now if people were driving aggressively, swerving into me in an attempt to prevent me from negotiating the area in between the lanes, I would not have tried it.  However under the conditions, my safety would have been more at risk by sitting in a pack of tired people heading back from their weekend, (it was a Sunday night) for an hour plus, than it was to split, get out of the way, and get pass the obstruction.

Legality is a whole different issue.  In California it has been officially legalized.  In most other states, to the best of my knowledge, there is no law prohibiting it, with the exception of inability to maintain a lane.  Someone please correct me if they know better.

And actually, I've promised myself I will give up cars.  I don't live in the most temperate climate, either.  I live in Ohio, where it can get down to 0F on a cold winter.  I was riding through 20F, snow on the ground weather last year.  So yeah, FUGGEM!  Too much snow on the ground up there?  Bust out the snowmobiles.  Ya' don't need a car unless you haul around people, or shid.  Leave the shid at home.  
face7.gif

Edit: Oh man where did that come from? In my sig you go!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|TheAtomicAss
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147419607 -->

Ok I am gonna have to stand up for the semis here guys. I drive one for a living. Tell you all what go find a billboard and rig it up so you can tow it with your car. Tell me on a nice moderatly windy day how well you keep it in your lane. Not too mention the 80,000 pounds driving through ruts in the lane that just yank the wheel out of your hands. I am not saying here that there aren't idiot truckdrivers out there that are on their phone not paying attention but I do know that on more than one occasion I have drifted into another lane. As for the guys that run the over the road thing. Go to a major city where you have never been to with something that is 70 feet long. 13 foot 6 high. And tell me how well you do at navigating. Its not easy. You end up having to back up down a lot of streets because of a bridge, making stupid 3 lane wide turns just to turn a corner. Any how just some words of wisdom. By the way as mad as we all get at trucks just remember this the truck always wins.

Ok I am gonna have to stand up for the semis here guys. I drive one for a living. Tell you all what go find a billboard and rig it up so you can tow it with your car. Tell me on a nice moderatly windy day how well you keep it in your lane. Not too mention the 80,000 pounds driving through ruts in the lane that just yank the wheel out of your hands. I am not saying here that there aren't idiot truckdrivers out there that are on their phone  not paying attention but I do know that on more than one occasion I have drifted into another lane. As for the guys that run the over the road thing. Go to a major city where you have never been to with something that is 70 feet long. 13 foot 6 high. And tell me how well you do at navigating. Its not easy. You end up having to back up down a lot of streets because of a bridge, making stupid 3 lane wide turns just to turn a corner. Any how just some words of wisdom. By the way as mad as we all get at trucks just remember this the truck always wins.
What you describe sounds like what happens to a lot of drivers of 4-wheeled, sub-10,000lb vehicles. Especially the 3 lane turns...
jump9.gif

I find irony in the fact that most of those vehicles cannot double the gas mileage you get out of your truck with, how many cubic inches of displacement?

obviously I am missing something here, lane splitting, lane sharing, can you please explain these to me? I would guess they both mean you are sharing one lane, very illegal in canada, fines and points are the result of being found guilty of undue care and attention, passing when unsafe, and further if the Officer and judge see fit, dangerous driving which means a HUGE fine in the thousands and loss of license if accidents occur.

Winter? I am in California.. can you please explain the term Winter?
biggrin.gif

What the He11 is an igloo?  
crazy.gif

yeah I dont condone it either, except in the case where I have had multiple cages purpously block me up and I did it only to get out of the frag pattern (I.E. get as far away from the cars as fast as possible in order to NOT get caught up in the stupidity) and I have not done it that often, only in extreem cases
i still think I remember what snow looks like.
wow.gif

Ken, I couldn't tell you the difference between splitting and sharing.  Sounds like the same thing, just legal bullshit added on to allow for tickets[/QUOTE]
+1.....If you follow the links I submitted that would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from the facts.

Ok I am gonna have to stand up for the semis here guys.[/QUOTE]
+2...You folks have a hard job, putting up with idiot cagers 8 hours a day.  
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147441456 -->

Don't think its legal in MD. Not a 100% positive.

Reminds me of a trip to Cali. I was driving a rented mini-van going to Tahoe from San Francisco. I was always told that lane splitting was legal in Cali, so I expected it. Well I just about wanted to hit a F*ck nut on a TL. We were on a 4 lane highway it was empty except for him and me for about 3 miles in either direction, I'm in the lane next to the slow lane. The jerk is lane splitting on the passenger side blind spot of the van for about 5 miles for no reason.
mad.gif
He was so damn close that I was afraid his bar end would put a dent in the van if I hiccupped. I change lanes to move away, he changed lanes back to the same spot, I slowed down he slowed down. My wife finally waved him up to the window. She held up my helmet and I gave him the finger. What he was doing was totally uncalled for and stupid in my opinion.
sad.gif

If it is legal in your state, we as riders need to be as courteous as possible. The guy you just pissed off might injure/kill another rider out of spite down the road.

Wow being from Maine not that much heavy traffic but leaving a NASCAR race or something like that I will use the shoulder and split lanes between cars at slow speeds yes they get mad yesa they cut out in front of you nothing kicking the mirror around the side of there car wont fix. One time at the track in Loudon NH after a race I was in bumper to bumper traffic and I heard an ambulance I moved forward and to the right as far as I could assuming he would need some room to get through all of the traffic. I was very close to the left front fender of a car beside me. He steps on the gas and shoots forward like trying to block me but gives me more room to move over, so I do now the ambulance is almost by and the guy shoots forward again this time hitting my right foot with his tire. My GF is on back so I am trying to remain calm but road rage is setting in I mean its bumper to bumper traffic. I move forward again and try to move left some to get away from this jerk. he shoots forward again and cuts me off thought he was going to hit the front of my bike. I put my foot out and jousted the mirror right off his car. I pulled in front of him put the kickstand down and was screaming and getting off my bike. The funny part is my GF is still hanging on to me and trying to keep me from beating this guy. She is 110 Lbs 5 foot 8 I am 6 foot 4 260 Lbs she looked like I was giving her a piggyback by the time I stood up LOL stuck to me like glue. Needless to say he didnt get out of his car. There is not enough traffic to lane split in Maine but I have used the breakdown lane and passed between 2 semis before in my younger more foolish days. 2 semis at 100 was scary wind buffeted you all around wouldnt do that again that fast felt very bad in between them.

My apologies to Ken.  I misunderstood his post regarding lane splitting.

In CA, lane sharing/splitting is considered the same.  The word "splitting" is really only a slang word.  The legal word is "lane sharing".  In Europe it's called "filtering".  

Lane Sharing is allowed because it relieves congestion, and encourages people to ride motorcycles.  Yeah.  Believe it or not!  Motorcycles pollute less see, and they consume less fuel.  Makes sense doesn't it?  In CA, congestion is a big problem in the cities and big suburbian freeways.  So why not give people who ride motorcycles a break by allowing lane sharing so as to encourage motorcycle usage?  Thus, the act was never restricted.  Now, sharing at 75+ mph while traffic is moving along at 55 mph is NOT lane sharing.  It's reckless driving!  Common sense really. Although, I have personally seen LEO's lane share at 65+ while they commuted to work. Anyway, there is no cut and dried speed at which our local LEO's are going to bust you for lane sharing.  Just use your common sense.  If it feels dangerous to you, it is!  This is pretty much how things are in Western countries that allow lane sharing.  Like I said, NA is the only region I know of that restricts it.  Why?  Best guess is ignorance.  

Best uses of lane sharing:

When traffic is stopped, it allows the bike to move up front and avoid a rear end collision, plus, it relieves the space for the cars that a bike would otherwise take.

When there is an accident, same as above.  For LEO's, it allows them to filter up to the accident scene faster.

When the freeways are overcrowded and moving slowly, it allows the bike to relieve congestion by sharing the lanes.

The California Highway Patrol is a strong supporter of lane sharing in CA.  It helps them get to accidents faster and maybe even apprehend dangerous individuals.  Some will argue that if that's the case, why not just allow LEO's to do it but NOT civilians?  The reason is simple:  if all bikers are allowed, it makes EVERYONE aware of bikers sharing lanes. This awareness is evident as soon as you lane share in CA.  Although it irritates some a-hole drivers, in general, they behave because most of them understand it is allowed and so expect EVERY biker to do it.  This makes it safer for the LEO because the drivers around him/her have been conditioned to expect it.

Lane Sharing is a wonderful thing.  It is efficient, it is NOT inherently dangerous when done properly, and it encourages people to ride bikes.  Drivers who are enraged at it are ignorant, jealous, and just plain stupid.  Most of the time they're just jealous.  It's like "cutting in line" to them I guess. The same mentality as, "If I'm miserable, you sure as hell are gonna be!"  

There is movement in a few states to allow lane sharing.  Texas is one.  I believe Washington is another one.  It makes sense people.  I hope the rest of the country follows suit and enjoy this one basic previlage that every motorcyclist should enjoy.

Back