Lane splitting

KanjiBusa

Seizures Suck!
Donating Member
Registered
Ok This seems to be a major problem with EVERY vehicle i do this to. I have only done this 3 times but each time i get a nasty response

1st response--Lady Tail gated and reved her engine and honked

2nd response--a different lady asks "WHAT WAS THAT FOR!", I am calling the police

3rd response--Guy in an F150 at a stop light pulled in front of him...he gets in teh median comes inches from my bike and yells Whats you good time problem yo?. Then he about runs me off the road and give me a pep talk about how stupid i am at the next stop light..he says he has a bike too and doesnt do that.--my response to him...."hey what kind of bike do you have?" (a v-rod) "you are just jealous that you cant lane split, stop being an #######...then thank god the light turned green cause he started to get out of his truck!!! :-O

I am kinda thinking I am not going to do that anymore. Dont want to be killed

what are some responses everyone else has received?

Ok Ok.....I'll ask for those that don't know (like me). What's lane splitting?
rock.gif

I've never lane split at stoplights. I'll do it once in a while on the highway though when traffic in both lanes aren't passing each other. Two lanes both going 70mph just doesn't work. Gotta get through the traffic somehow. Might as well go between.

Lane splitting is not tolerated in most places like it is in Cali... Be careful.

I do it every time I ride out here. I understand in most states the cops will ticket you.

Do not split lanes in NY. It will surely get you run off the road. Cagers just don't like it and besides, it's illegal here.

Illegal.....is it legal in some states? Exceeding the posted speed limit is illegal too.
wink.gif

I've heard that lane splitting IS legal in/on some roads in California. That means in 10 years the east coast may adopt it...
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147394244 -->

I did it in England the whole three years I lived there and never had a problem, it's accepted and really encouraged as motorists will shift to the left for bikes to get by .... different culture though, 1,000 time more public awareness about motorcycles than here in the States. I tried it for the first week once I got back... then never again. There are no public service campaigns what-so-ever to remind motorists to watch for motorcycles. In England there are public service announcements in print, radio and TV reminding folks to watch out for us.

<!--EDIT|LightCycle
Reason for Edit: "forgot to spell check... DOH!!!"|1147394441 -->

Here in cali I do it alot...its legal but some folks don't know it or don't care. I have had people open their doors on me, run me off the road, cuss me out, throw things out the window just as I pass by, and on and on...

Not legal in IL. Did it once leaving the race track in Brooklyn,MI. Traffic was stopped and crawling for miles. I mean like 20 miles any which way you were going. So the one and only time I was splitting, well we never got in traffic once we started. People would not even let us out of our parking spots. So I said follow me down the isles cut across up and down an thru. It was a maze. Cops said you better get over so then the shoulder riding began. It was crazy. Never again.
And yes people were pizzed. Proble cause they were not moving as fast as we were.

I have lane split cars doing about 140

I say fuggem...

My justification?

When a person is in a cage in traffic, most of the time they can crank the tunes, talk on the phone, have the AC crank up to keep cool, and all they have to do is push a little on the gas peddle to move forward in traffic when it is bumper to bumper..

On a bike? the minimum when I am in bumper to bumper traffic is my clutch hand will begin to cramp up after awhile, because I wear full gear (leathers boots everything) unless it is 40 degrees outside, my body willl begin to overheat

Lots of bikes will begin to overheat. fricken cagers dont understand that bikes are not meant to hang in 5mph bumper to bumper traffic, the bike and the rider is going to get miserable...

When I was in Vegas I road by the hoover Dam, got about 4 miles past it and realized it was bumper to bumper on the way back, so I turned around and got inline...

Started getting hot, unzipped my jacket, wasnt helping much.. and I am noticing not hardly ANY oncoming traffic, so I just slowly leep frogged in front of cars.. everyone was stopped, I was doing about 5 mph, go around one car.. wait a few minutes, go around another...

then I got behind this car and I could see the guy looking at me from his rearview, I also noticed he started hugging the center line.. giving all indications he was watching me..

Sure enough, I go to go around the guy and this old guy with white hair leans out the window and screams at me.. his face was beat red.. I swear he was about to have a heart attack..

I just shook my head when I road by and said "tool"

and kept going...

bottom line.. cagers are jelous.. that is it.. I have talked to cagers, and every single one admits there only problem is they get jelous..

9 times out of 10 when I explain my reasons as to why I do it (as I did above) they respond with "ohh.. I didnt know that.. well now I kind of understand"

Fuggem.. I dont got time for people that the only reason they are mad at me is because they are jelous and habe no other reason....

And I dont know about any of you but there isnt any car that is going to catch me.. especially if I am splitting lanes..

If you split lanes and a car comes up to you that you passed, you are not splitting lanes right

But again. I am from California and it is legal here....

I have lane split cars doing about 140

I say fuggem...

My justification?

When a person is in a cage in traffic, most of the time they can crank the tunes, talk on the phone, have the AC crank up to keep cool, and all they have to do is push a little on the gas peddle to move forward in traffic when it is bumper to bumper..

On a bike? the minimum when I am in bumper to bumper traffic is my clutch hand will begin to cramp up after awhile, because I wear full gear (leathers boots everything) unless it is 40 degrees outside, my body willl begin to overheat

Lots of bikes will begin to overheat. fricken cagers dont understand that bikes are not meant to hang in 5mph bumper to bumper traffic, the bike and the rider is going to get miserable...

When I was in Vegas I road by the hoover Dam, got about 4 miles past it and realized it was bumper to bumper on the way back, so I turned around and got inline...

Started getting hot, unzipped my jacket, wasnt helping much.. and I am noticing not hardly ANY oncoming traffic, so I just slowly leep frogged in front of cars.. everyone was stopped, I was doing about 5 mph, go around one car.. wait a few minutes, go around another...

then I got behind this car and I could see the guy looking at me from his rearview, I also noticed he started hugging the center line.. giving all indications he was watching me..

Sure enough, I go to go around the guy and this old guy with white hair leans out the window and screams at me.. his face was beat red.. I swear he was about to have a heart attack..

I just shook my head when I road by and said "tool"

and kept going...

bottom line.. cagers are jelous.. that is it.. I have talked to cagers, and every single one admits there only problem is they get jelous..

9 times out of 10 when I explain my reasons as to why I do it (as I did above) they respond with "ohh.. I didnt know that.. well now I kind of understand"

Fuggem.. I dont got time for people that the only reason they are mad at me is because they are jelous and habe no other reason....

And I dont know about any of you but there isnt any car that is going to catch me.. especially if I am splitting lanes..

If you split lanes and a car comes up to you that you passed, you are not splitting lanes right

But again. I am from California and it is legal here....
Me too! Fug em, not my problem they're in a cage and have to wait!

I say fuggem...

Fuggem..    I dont got time for people that the only reason they are mad at me is because they are jealous...
amen to that! its illegal here in WI, but rush hour on freeways in Milwaukee after 3 pm is retarded-people going 20mph with the cage in front of'em 100 feet up; semis riding in the far left lane (i think THAT should be ILLEGAL) and Northshore Nancy on her cellphone with Susie Soccer Mom in their Gigantor SUVs full of raving lunatic kids weaving into other people's lanes becuz they're too busy running their mouths to drive their Uber-trucks in a straight f*&kin line!
to h#ll with all of 'em-I don't white-line the idiots anymore, i go straight for the inside emergency lane n roll by at 30-50mph, cruisin comfortably unless i spot smoky, then I'll hop back in line for a few.
and if the cagers ever get lippy (hasn't happend yet, but any tool with one good eye can see how I big I am on my bike), they'll be getting off the freeway and taking their car to the bodyshop!
If i'm in my cage n a bike is obviously wantin to get around, I ALWAYS give'm room-i'm not getn where I'm going any slower or faster for it, just making sombody's life a lil less hectic.

I would never do it, very unsafe. I have a couple guys every week that do it to me when I am in my car or dually, if I am in the car I just try to get them to pull over so we can 'talk', but if I am in the dually I move them into their own lane as they pass. I am a very defensive driver, very conscientous (wow I think I got that right) and like I have mentioned before, 24 years of volunteer Rescue/EMS makes me think twice about doing stupid #### like that.
When you guys do that crap, you should go help out the local fire department and EMS, see what is actually involved in tc's.
Seriously, you work as a rescue/EMS and you actually admit to trying to "move" bikes into their own lane... or getting them to pull over to "talk".....
rock.gif
? WTF??? and you ride too???

anything over 85F outside i will lane split cagers dont seem to care here in sacramento if they see you they will move over in most cases some are asses. since it gets up to 115f in traffic the busa will over heat fast gota keep moving. since Ca its legal and all the cops do it might as well plus i'am not going over heat my bike. being ouside of ca since its illlegal most cagers are going to get pissed.

<< stands up and clears throat >> ( Yes I am a lane splitter ..for the past 35 years ) ... 1 thing to add to that ..it has over time here in Cali... become safer @ least on certian freeways and or Hwy's .. most here in SoCal.. X-pect a bike to "split" ..when yah dont they tend to ..look @ yah funny..???
rock.gif
like wtf..
tounge.gif
smile.gif

The other i was coming back from work at around 5 in the evening.Im in florida by the way and i got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.For the first time i was seriously considering lane splitting.By the time i got home 20 minutes later i was cooked like a well done steak.Black bike,black jacket,black helmet and gloves.You can imagine what i was feeling like inside.I think ill get the riding jacket dry cleaned because of all the sweating i did inside it the other day.

Almost all drivers are courteous and move over to give you more room.  I try and wave to as many as I can.  It is the exception that pulls the ballsheet move.  I expect every driver to do it though.  It is especially helpful at stoplights because when the light turns green I am out in front of traffic, in my own space, and not surrounded on all sides by tons of steel not paying attention or "wanting to talk".:D

Back