Lane splitting

I am jealous of you guys in the States for a lot of things, weather, fuel prices, can carry guns, etc, but the crime, the bike hunters, the freeway shootings.......I pity you too.

I will stay here. All the igloos and ice roads keep the crazies away

I am jealous of you guys in the States for a lot of things, weather, fuel prices, can carry guns, etc, but the crime, the bike hunters, the freeway shootings.......I pity you too.

Nahhh it aint bad..

We just shoot those that get out of hand, break mirrors on the cagers and run over pedestrians..

its all good
biggrin.gif

Somebody still seems confused, so I'll jump in
wink.gif

So, Lane Sharing=completely legal.
And Lane Splitting=illegal, but tolerated.
Semantics dude.

It is possible that an ass-like LEO will cite you for lane splitting as you described it.  But realistically, meaning in practice, nobody ever looks down there how often you hit the painted broken white lines.  Just go between the cars in a safe manner.  That's good enough.  So I guess you're right--it's tolerated.
Call it semantics,
but its always good to know the letter of the law.

Of course it completely up to the cop's discretion.

But I split with CHP motorcycle cops 2 out of the 5 days I commute to work. Most of the time the cop waves me by since I split faster.

This is assuming that you're splitting 10mph or so faster than the cars, maybe 20 mph faster when cars are dead stopped.

If you're going like a bat out of he!!, of course they'll light you up then, for being reckless, not lane splitting.

Do it everyday and have only had problems with out of state 28's, visitors that don’t know the CVC. We get triple A with a gun (CHP) giving us safety lectors once a quarter here on base and they all tell us to do it but to do it in a safe manner. If you think it is unsafe please look me up the next time you are down here and I will be glad to show you the proper way to do it. Also for everyone saying how unsafe it is I would like to point out that exceeding the posted speed limit is unsafe as well.
Who exceeds posted speed limits?  
wow.gif

biggrin.gif
Dude, we're just gonna take it easy!!
tounge.gif

Do it everyday and have only had problems with out of state 28's, visitors that don’t know the CVC. We get triple A with a gun (CHP) giving us safety lectors once a quarter here on base and they all tell us to do it but to do it in a safe manner. If you think it is unsafe please look me up the next time you are down here and I will be glad to show you the proper way to do it. Also for everyone saying how unsafe it is I would like to point out that exceeding the posted speed limit is unsafe as well.
Who exceeds posted speed limits?  
wow.gif

biggrin.gif
Dude, we're just gonna take it easy!!  
tounge.gif
Easy is my middle name
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

This always makes me laugh when people from other countries say it.  

What crime?  Bike hunters?  Freeway shootings?

Dude, I've lived in CA all my life, supposedly where a lot of the above happens, and I have never seen any of that stuff.  Okay.  Our house in the city got burglurized once back in 1990 and they took our fookin' stereo!  Canada has burgluries too, as well as people who try to "move" other drivers for a "talk".  
tounge.gif

You really should come and visit and see for yourself.  Hell, go see NY or Chicago or San Francisco.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that we're not constantly trying to kill each other so  I'm quite sure you would be very safe.  It's not like this is Colombia or Mexico where some thug is waiting for you to go to your ATM to withdraw cash or kidnap you at a moment's notice!

Dude, I've lived in CA all my life, supposedly where a lot of the above happens, and I have never seen any of that stuff.  Okay.  Our house in the city got burglurized once back in 1990 and they took our fookin' stereo!  Canada has burgluries too, as well as people who try to "move" other drivers for a "talk".  
tounge.gif

You really should come and visit and see for yourself.  Hell, go see NY or Chicago or San Francisco.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised that we're not constantly trying to kill each other so  I'm quite sure you would be very safe.  It's not like this is Colombia or Mexico where some thug is waiting for you to go to your ATM to withdraw cash or kidnap you at a moment's notice!
Yeah.. wasnt it Canada that last month found like 8 body;s in like 3 cars in some farm somewhere.. looked to be a biker gang related crime?

that was in Canada..

tounge.gif

Yeah.. wasnt it Canada that last month found like 8 body;s in like 3 cars in some farm somewhere.. looked to be a biker gang related crime?  

that was in Canada..
Yes, it was.

They were a bunch of bikers that were lane splitting semis. The semi drivers got even

<!--EDIT|Ken02busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147500124 -->

Ken, I couldn't tell you the difference between splitting and sharing.  Sounds like the same thing, just legal bullshit added on to allow for tickets
+1.....If you follow the links I submitted that would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from the facts.[/QUOTE]
The links you provided go into the forum list. I'm too much of a lazy Ass to search.
biggrin.gif

Somebody still seems confused, so I'll jump in
wink.gif

Lane splitting in California is illegal.  The act of changing from one lane, back to another lane, and back, and back or riding dead on the painted line.  To cross the painted lines, you have to signal properly and clear the lane.

Lane sharing in California is legal.  This is the act of being in the same lane as another vehicle, you never cross the painted lines.  Think of it like this, you can lane share with another motorcycle like CHiPs and you can do it with a car or truck too.

So, Lane Sharing=completely legal.
And Lane Splitting=illegal, but tolerated.
Durr, so I should hug the cars while I share? I don't think I want to be in the car's lane. Sounds stupid. Of course, I don't know how wide the lanes are and I don't know how much space the drivers leave available. I'd still rather be the furthest point from ALL vehicles... Right on the separated lines.
biggrin.gif

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissable under California law, but must be done in a safe and prudent manner. The motorcycle should be traveling no more than 10mph faster than surrounding traffic (without exceeding the speed limit) and not come close enough to that traffic to cause a collision."

Georgia Law states
Lane Splitting 40-6-312 (b) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. &copy; No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Florida Lane Splitting 316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

They should
make it legal
world wide . . .

:beerchug:

Back