just turned 21, and busa will be first bike

At 21 you may very well be mature enough to handle such a machine. Before I turned 21.I had been married for 3 1/2 years, had 2 sons, served in Viet Nam and been in the service for almost 4 years. I would be one of the first to support young people and the notion that you may be mature enough to make good decisions. Riding skill is what we are talking about. Did you learn to drive in your cobra?My guess would be no. A hayabusa is like an ndy car on two wheels. not a good first bike. Not bustin your stones. Just trying to give you some good feedback.
From my experience in law enforcement, you just don't see that except in RARE instances these days though. Things have changed and it seems most "kids" have no respect for anything anymore... even themselves. He may be an exception, but I'd say the odds are greater that he's not and thinks he is... or wants us to think he is...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127193765 -->

I want a bike for several reasons, one of them is touring in southern colorado during the summer months, i live in extreme northwest new mexico during the summer, and i want to ride all the mountain roads up there...
Wheels - so it sounds like you want to travel. Busa has quite the following in the sport-touring crowd.

Ya know- Haya brings up another good point. Other bikes in this same class. If you are big guy and want something powerful and big, why not try counterparts like the ZX-11D, or the FJ1200. These are big heavy bikes, and great for traveling. Both of them have slightly more upright positions than Busa.

I've even been considering of getting another FJ1200 as a 2nd backup motorcycle. Can get a decent used on for like 2000-2500 easy. Get rid of my Yamaha Venture and relive the glory days.

I'm curious why you wouldn't do something like that, for say a year, put some major miles on one of these used bikes- then get a busa thereafter?

I'm curious why you wouldn't do something like that, for say a year, put some major miles on one of these used bikes- then get a busa thereafter?
Same reason few other newbies want to do that. The others aren't as "cool" as the busa...
wink.gif
The busa's "mystique" and the "legend" is well deserved but it definitely attracts a certain element.

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127195920 -->

Wheelman,
I'm sorry but you're soooooooooooooooooooooooooo
freakin' naive. You may or may not die on a Busa as a first bike. You may or may not crash it or dump it. But chances are that you probably will meet a disaster of some kind with it.
You WILL not become a good rider starting on one regardless....as you'll be riding to survive....not riding to learn how to ride like on a smaller, less powerful bike.

You should EARN your way up to a Busa by putting on the miles of something far lesser.....not for principle's sake but for the sake of becoming a much more competent rider and believe me, you will feel MUCH MUCH better when you step onto something like a Busa with 30K mi of riding under your belt rather than being brand new.....b/c you've put in your time and learned how to ride. You didn't cut corners. I don't care if you're a NASCAR driver.....it won't hardly at all prepare you for a beast like the Busa. And you're not too tall for other bikes. Get a freakin' V-strom 650 to start. It's a pretty tall bike. I know guys very happy on their sv650s and v-stroms who are your height. Those bikes are both great bikes to start out on and are craploads of fun to boot. Be smart and do it the right way......it'll pay off in the long run in more ways than one.

Same reason few other newbies want to do that. The others aren't as "cool" as the busa...
wink.gif
The busa's "mystique" and the "legend" is well deserved but it definitely attracts a certain element.
pretty much hit that nail on the head, the busa is the nicest there is, and there is something magnetic about it, it doesnt look like any other bike out there and yet it looks the best. as far as other bikes, i have been tossing and turning on "spring for the busa and bite it when i lay it down, or get a beater and still bite it when i lay it down" i have looked at the kawi ZZR1200, its big and thats why i like it, but its the same story as far as being very powerful... so i am torn. maybe i should just forget the whole thing. thanks to all for the constructive advice, and bear in mind, that calling others a "moron" etc, doesnt keep them listening to you, it makes them want to do the opposite of what you say
-WHEELMAN

I think you should go with the SV1000 or the ZZR600. ZZR is more affordable, but it is quick cause it has the old school ninja motor in it. The SV1000 has plenty of pull for you and is not as attitudish as the gsx-r models. It's will look better with added fairings. Just my opinion.

Wheelman,

Many good points here about the Busa. Please heed most if not all of them and take them for what they're worth. I've been riding motorcycles since I was 12. I'm 29 now. I started with the Yamaha PW-80 dirtbike, moved to a Kawasaki KX-80 and started racing motocross. Then went to the Suzuki RM-125 for 4 years and experimented with the RM-250. My first streetbike didn't come until 1997 (when I turned 21) and it was on a Gixxer 6. That bike scared the hell outta me despite all of my motocross racing experience. The front brakes mean so much more on street than dirt, locking up the rear can seriously high-side you if you're not careful, and countersteering is a skill only learned on the street and experience, not in text. I didn't buy my first Busa until late '04 (2005 model). I have never been involved in ANY SINGLE VEHICLE MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT or one involving an automobile until I got on the Busa. Jan 19 of this year, My wife and I were riding 2 up that evening and some lady in a Chrysler Crossfire decided to u-turn in front of me and that was it. We broadside her and my wife and I go over. We sustain some pretty good injuries but b/c we were wearing gear, it wasn't any worse. I'm very glad to be here talking about it to you and that's the most important thing. We will be going to trial and it's just a matter of when the courts will set a date for trial because we weren't at fault and the lady's insurance decided not to pay. Lawsuit. The first 5 months of this year is completely lost b/c of pain and suffering and those are precious moments in time I will never get back, all because of someone else's negligence. It's ironic that my first accident had to be on the Busa despite riding street for almost 8 years!! AS THEY SAY, IT'S NOT A MATTER 'IF' BUT 'WHEN' YOU GO DOWN.

I'm not wishing or do I ever wish this upon anyone b/c the pain was sooooo severe, it's something no one should experience. I would recommend you start off on a smaller displacement motorcycle and work on other aspects such as manuevering and evasive/life saving tactics. Forget about speed and breaking the sound barrier. Hell, go to the track days and REALLY LEARN your motorcycle. You can never ride a motorcycle to it's limits. Very few can. If your heart desires the Busa, then get it. But do all you can to learn everything about the Busa and motorcycling in general. YOU NEVER STOP LEARNING because riding motorcycles is a new and different experience everyday. EXPERIENCE and SEAT TIME is key. Busa is a great machine and everyone here will agree with you. But it's a machine for serious riders and please be prepared for everything it has to offer and then some. I don't care how much anyone will say "I have restraint and promise to practice throttle-control." Bullsh*t. That power is always gonna be there and any MAN (and some women) will wanna twist and see what she has. That's when newbies get into trouble and.....well you prolly know what happens next.

BEST OF LUCK ON WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO AND REMEMBER, ALWAYS ENJOY THE SPORT OF MOTORCYCLING AND RESPECT IT NO MATTER WHAT. We ALL WANNA SEE YOU LIVE for a long, long time.

PEACE

Ryan "RYABUSA"

good luck, man....you're gonna need it.

I was 25 when I first bought the busa. I had the same thoughts as you did...responsibility, etc.

Turns out I wasn't all that ready for her. Nearly killed myself...and in the process, I pretty much killed her as well. Now I'm paying the price rebuilding her.

I could have just as easily chosen to buy a new bike...start over again. But I chose to rebuild her for two reasons:

1) I loved - and still love - that bike. She was special to me; I saw it as a kind of relationship. She always took care of me...and I ended up messing things up. I felt obligated to rebuild her....I owed her that much. I just couldn't write her off and let her go....I wasn't about to let her go down like that.

2) the harder I worked to rebuild her, to more I'd appreciate her. The more I appreciated her, the less likely I'll be to mess things up again. It'll force me to become a better rider...more cognizant and more aware of what I'm doing on the bike. The better I am, the better she and I can get along and work together.

Just my .02
cool.gif

wink.gif
pretty much hit that nail on the head... <snip>
-WHEELMAN
Of course I did. We see this all the time here, and on the street.
wink.gif

wink.gif

I dont mean to come across so harshly at first, - but sometimes I can hear the rebuttle in my mind and I step it up....

Wheelman, calling someone a moron, might be a little harsh, - but it only elicits the opposite response to it if you are an immature child. A child hears it, and they want to do the opposite.

When an adult hears someone who they respect call them a moron for a decision they are about to make...the mature adult, stops and listens.

Not that you respect me, - but Im speaking of the "assumed respect" that comes with being experienced riders of the bike you are interested in.

Best of Luck to you wheelman. I hope you keep your enthusiasm for sportbike riding, - but really consider something used, cheap, and less powerful to get your practice on.

wink.gif
pretty much hit that nail on the head, the busa is the nicest there is, and there is something magnetic about it, it doesnt look like any other bike out there and yet it looks the best.  as far as other bikes, i have been tossing and turning on "spring for the busa and bite it when i lay it down, or get a beater and still bite it when i lay it down"  i have looked at the kawi ZZR1200, its big and thats why i like it, but its the same story as far as being very powerful... so i am torn.  maybe i should just forget the whole thing.  thanks to all for the constructive advice, and bear in mind, that calling others a "moron" etc, doesnt keep them listening to you, it makes them want to do the opposite of what you say
-WHEELMAN
Dont rule out getting a bike completely, just reconsider the busa as a FIRST bike. My best friend has been down twice on his ZX9, one that I watched him go down. This was due to lack of experience. Just be careful, NO ONE wants to see you get hurt. Dont let them scare you, just think about the ones that are trying to help.Haya and Pashnit are just saying how it is. SO LISTEN PLEASE and be safe!

You'll shoot your eye out kid.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

What movie is damn line from...."You're gonna shoot yer eye out, kid..." For some reason I keep thinking of that one Christmas movie with the Red Rider BB gun...

laugh.gif

Anyway, hopefully you'll be fine and it'll all work out, bro. Take care of yourself. The roads are dangerous enough without a bit too much bike under ya'...but from the sounds of things, you have a decent head on your shoulders and the best of intentions in your endeavor. Just beware...that hp and torque will get to ya' and even at your most stoic of moments you'll be liable to crank on her...we all know, 'cause we been there.
smile.gif

Jason

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Wheelman, I got a little over 40K mi riding experience now in only 2 yrs of riding.  Rode the crap out of a few bikes before getting the Busa just recently.

Even with 2yrs and averaging 20K mi a year riding motorcycles, sometimes I question myself for being ready to be on a Busa. I feel confident on it but it can still be intimidating....and I've done a lot of riding compared to you.  Going new out of the box at one just isn't smart.  I hope you take up motorcycling, ride safe, and get as much enjoyment out of it as I and many others do.  Everyone's telling you this stuff b/c we don't want you get badly hurt or become a statistic.  What may be even worse to you is when you first drop that beautiful 'Busa......that may cause you the most pain and anguish.....get something smart to thrash in the beginning.

<!--EDIT|skater69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127277746 -->

Ive been lookin at the ZZR600, its a nice lookin machine, I have only sat on the ZZR1200, kawi web site says the 600 has a higher seat height, anyone sat on all three, (bus/1200/600) for a comparison? the ZZR is also much less expensive, always good when starting out.

Back