• Ehhh... Kinda

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
So has anyone ever heard of JEEPs waving to each other? I think its kind of stupid. I know we motorcyclists wave to each other but thats different. Our wave is pretty much a "Hey stay safe out there cause people are nuts and try to kill us everyday" kinda wave, at least to me. Jeeps are jeeps... My wife's sister was talking about it and I kept my mouth shut :laugh: but I still think its dumb.

around here i wave at "real" jeeps, and the occasional soccer mom. i usually just wave at the guys i wheel with. i stopped waving at strangers.:poke: they don't wave back anyway.

those jeep guys/gals have that.."Its a Jeep Thing" motto so you wouldnt understand. :laugh:

it's a wrangler and cj thing. if your jeep is topless, you'd better wave. some n00bs don't know about the jeep wave, pisses me off.

Nothing wrong with the Jeep wave, how else is a middle-aged guy supposed to get attention from high school girls? :laugh:

Seriously though, I wave at most other SWB Jeeps although with the popularity of the new four-door Wranglers, you do get snubbed quite a lot. On the flipside, once these non-traditional Jeepers find out about the wave, they make up for lost time by being very enthusiastic! I find the soccer-moms especially fun to wave at... no two-fingers raised off of the steering wheel for them, sometimes I get a whole hand out the driver's window waving like a flag in a hurricane. Good times.

Footnote: For the haters, I get the "Porsche wave" when I'm out in my old 911S as well. :whistle:

They were doing it back when I was driving one, 30+ years ago.

I don't think it is dumb. Motorcyclists don't hold a patent on waving.....

I wave when in my Jeep. It is a Jeep thing!!

If it makes you feel any better, Subaru owners wave at each other too..

:laugh:

Yes it is specific to CJ, Wranglers, etc only.
It is an old joke that actually started after WW2 when the troops started coming home and buying them.
Basically if you are riding with passengers, you wave to the other passing Jeeps.
When your friends ask why you waved to the other Jeep, you say "It's a Jeep thing. You would not understand."
Thats it. Thats the entire joke. Pretty simple and so misunderstood.

The jeep wave seems to have been around as long as I can remember, and I also noticed the subaru wrx waves recently while driving my brothers car. Apparently drivers of a kia soul do it also???. Had one as a rental the last couple of days and needless to say it took my by surprise.

When I had a 91 supra other supra owners would wave. Mine was blue with chrome wheels and there was another one that looked exactly like mine and they would do this out of the window :cheerleader:

The jeep wave seems to have been around as long as I can remember, and I also noticed the subaru wrx waves recently while driving my brothers car. Apparently drivers of a kia soul do it also???. Had one as a rental the last couple of days and needless to say it took my by surprise.

That's funny. I had a rental PT Cruiser last year and other PT drivers waved at me. Now that's just lame. :laugh:

It's mainly a wrangler and CJ thing and has been around a long time. And as Big E also said it is also a Vette thing.

Back