Is The Gen 3 Coming ?

Reakon Arch is close on his Gen 3 recipe . I hope so anyway , I really like the big displacement all motor approach . The Busa motor is the best I have ever experienced . Copious grunt , happy to tool along , always ready to take off and fly . Be excellent to see Suzuki continue this with more of the same .
Hi all. I hope it will be 1400 to 1500 ccs and be a good base for high HP turbo motors. Oh and fit into a Gen 1 frame!!!

My gen II is probably all I would ever need at this stage of my life, doing no more than 1,000 miles a year.

But here is the question for all who are waiting in anticipation while being frustrated:

If you were the CEO of Suzuki, what direction would you give your management team regarding a Gen III, considering the criteria below in ranking of importance:

1.) You have to satisfy the board and your shareholders, with whatever the Gen III will be doing for your financial bottom line in terms of gain and growth for Suzuki as a whole.

2.) You have the Gixxer 1k competing with all the top 1k bikes, just did a lot of work to bring it back into play and it is getting attention. That seems to be the focus today, being the market focusing on MotoGp, WorldSBK, AMA racing and the marketing and sales gain coming from this effort. Your new Gixxer won the Isle of Man senior TT race this year, which is the closest to street bike performance riding a street circuit, compared to anything else out there. So, where does the Gen III Busa fit, will it ever be considered a Super Bike again?

3.) Is there a market segment, where a lot of R&D, testing and tooling up will have a payback with great sales on a new Busa platform, or is the best financial decision just to keep it alive by maintaining the current platform, add a bit of electronics and increase power a little?

4.) Should he tell his R&D team to hang in a little longer to see how much sales Kawasaki is getting with their new forced induction motors?

My thoughts
1. Suzuki needs to stay relevant in everything they do. They can’t accept they had a bike that just won a major race and is doing better. They need to be pist off that everyone likes the new R1 and be better then Yamaha and it’s self next year. If Suzuki don’t get hungry they will be the next Sears’s.

2. Don’t think it was ever a super bike.

3. people eager and waiting for a gen 3 would believe they would fly off the shelves vs another bold new color.

4. Forced induction is cool but fast is cooler and whatever it takes to build a fast bike on the market that people can afford is the direction they need to go. Bikes are getting stupid expensive. H2’s are the most expensive.

Reakon Arch is close on his Gen 3 recipe . I hope so anyway , I really like the big displacement all motor approach . The Busa motor is the best I have ever experienced . Copious grunt , happy to tool along , always ready to take off and fly . Be excellent to see Suzuki continue this with more of the same .
I agree with the best motor thing... also... maybe... just maybe.. we get an adequate radiator and a relocated oil cooler.

My gen II is probably all I would ever need at this stage of my life, doing no more than 1,000 miles a year.

But here is the question for all who are waiting in anticipation while being frustrated:

If you were the CEO of Suzuki, what direction would you give your management team regarding a Gen III, considering the criteria below in ranking of importance:

1.) You have to satisfy the board and your shareholders, with whatever the Gen III will be doing for your financial bottom line in terms of gain and growth for Suzuki as a whole.

2.) You have the Gixxer 1k competing with all the top 1k bikes, just did a lot of work to bring it back into play and it is getting attention. That seems to be the focus today, being the market focusing on MotoGp, WorldSBK, AMA racing and the marketing and sales gain coming from this effort. Your new Gixxer won the Isle of Man senior TT race this year, which is the closest to street bike performance riding a street circuit, compared to anything else out there. So, where does the Gen III Busa fit, will it ever be considered a Super Bike again?

3.) Is there a market segment, where a lot of R&D, testing and tooling up will have a payback with great sales on a new Busa platform, or is the best financial decision just to keep it alive by maintaining the current platform, add a bit of electronics and increase power a little?

4.) Should he tell his R&D team to hang in a little longer to see how much sales Kawasaki is getting with their new forced induction motors?

I get all of this but if this was the criteria, there wouldn't have been a Busa in the first place. The Busa does pretty well against the GSXR1000R in sales, especially since it's the same bike it's been for decades. People are now buying smaller displacement , adventure and naked bikes. The #1 selling sport bike is the BMW and they haven't won anything in racing. Can't see letting the 20th anniversary go bye without some sort of statement.

I get all of this but if this was the criteria, there wouldn't have been a Busa in the first place. The Busa does pretty well against the GSXR1000R in sales, especially since it's the same bike it's been for decades. People are now buying smaller displacement , adventure and naked bikes. The #1 selling sport bike is the BMW and they haven't won anything in racing. Can't see letting the 20th anniversary go bye without some sort of statement.
The R is one of three models where did you find those numbers would be neat to see actual bike sales.

I am thinking of going over to the dark side and get a 14R., I am coming from a modern liter naked bike after I sold my Busa.

I really miss the torque of a large inline 4. Not into forced induction.

Kawy has made the liter bike supercharged so I think the direction is to end the big bore inline if the sales drop off.

I dont think you will see a replacement for the busa, time will tell. I am not going back to a busa without TC and modern aids, hence the 14R. Plus I dig more free ccs.

I really hope Suzuki does modernize the busa, but I strongly doubt it. I think big bore bikes are on the way out that is why I am going to get one again.

The liter size forced induction is probably going to be the max, I hope that I get surprised but not holding my breath for a response from |Suzuki.

Getting this color combo, my favorite. Burnt orange.

View attachment 1578196

Last edited by a moderator:
No fair calling my B.S.! Lol! Just goggle it. Here is a link of top 10 selling bikes, not a single sport bike in the mix! http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-best-selling-motorcycles-2017-1 here is another: http://www.trendingtopmost.com/worl.../best-selling-motorcycle-brands-world-famous/ (not sure of the dates on these lists)

I was told by a BMW dealer that the sport bikes don't even get close to the adventure bikes. A Suzuki dealer said the GSXRs and Hayabusa are a small chunk of their sales and small displacement nakeds are huge in places like India.

I am thinking of going over to the dark side and get a 14R., I am coming from a modern liter naked bike after I sold my Busa.

Kawy has made the liter bike supercharged so I think the direction is to end the big bore inline if the sales drop off.

I dont think you will see a replacement for the busa, time will tell. I am not going back to a busa without TC and modern aids, hence the 14R. Plus I dig more free ccs.

I really hope Suzuki does modernize the busa, but I strongly doubt it. I think big bore bikes are on the way out that is why I am going to get one again.

The liter size forced induction is probably going to be the max, I hope that I get surprised but not holding my breath for a response from |Suzuki.

View attachment 1578198

BB
not saying its ugly... but it would take me 40 years to get used to that machine,

Last edited by a moderator:
No fair calling my B.S.! Lol! Just goggle it. Here is a link of top 10 selling bikes, not a single sport bike in the mix! http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-best-selling-motorcycles-2017-1 here is another: http://www.trendingtopmost.com/worl.../best-selling-motorcycle-brands-world-famous/ (not sure of the dates on these lists)

I was told by a BMW dealer that the sport bikes don't even get close to the adventure bikes. A Suzuki dealer said the GSXRs and Hayabusa are a small chunk of their sales and small displacement nakeds are huge in places like India.
You been to India? Those they call small displacement nakeds are what we call mopeds. Those bikes around the world in less privileged countries make up about 80% of all motorcycle sales. And here is a kicker. In Japan Honda sells the most of local production. But above 600cc Harley sells twice as much as Honda.

BB
Orange and black is the fastest color, but not a cow.

Interesting link, thanks for posting. What baffles me is why people would buy these big adventure and enduro bikes. I did the Trans American Trail, three years ago on a Husky. My two buddies, one had the big KTM and the other a big BMW. From Tennessee to Oregon, about 65% was off pavement and there were some single tracks and a whole bunch of water crossings. These guys on their heavy bikes walked next to the bike on throttle through a whole bunch of mud patches and water crossing and even then still went down. They hated me, because some times I would be throttling around them having fun while they walk. On the pavement I had no issues staying with them, provided we stayed South of 100mph.

Interesting link, thanks for posting. What baffles me is why people would buy these big adventure and enduro bikes. I did the Trans American Trail, three years ago on a Husky. My two buddies, one had the big KTM and the other a big BMW. From Tennessee to Oregon, about 65% was off pavement and there were some single tracks and a whole bunch of water crossings. These guys on their heavy bikes walked next to the bike on throttle through a whole bunch of mud patches and water crossing and even then still went down. They hated me, because some times I would be throttling around them having fun while they walk. On the pavement I had no issues staying with them, provided we stayed South of 100mph.

I sort of wonder that myself. I can't imagine a 500 lb bike in deep sand or mud! I sort of figured adventure meant paved roads and an occasional unpaved driveway or something. I can remember many times having to pick my 250 lb trail bike up from a ditch and that was a chore.

The point of all this is that the Busas and GSXRs are not economically driven designs for a manufacturer. Most buyers want a $4K to $9K light, flexible naked with the exception of a few markets like the U.S. That being the case, I don't rational rules the day necessarily, but I also don't think they are looking to sell these bikes at a loss like Kawasaki is doing on the H2R.

Back