Introduction and some questions

Greg

Registered
Hello Hayabusa.org, my name is Greg. I'm a Junior in high school here in SoCal and I'm looking into getting a Motorcycle. I am a complete newbie to the activity and would love any and all advice you guys can throw at me (websites or typed and posted). I know that I need to take a Motorcycle safety course (MSF? correct accronym?) and that the Hayausa is "a lot of bike for a new guy" but damn once I get my mind set on something everything else seems like a compromise.... Anywho, since I am going to completely be financing this bike on my own in every aspect. I really don't want to buy a bike I'm going to grow out of within 1-2 years....Thus my interest in the Hayabusa...I figure that it would far better suit my personality to have the power and use self control then it would be to limit myself with the actual hardware.... I don't know if this is coming across correctly but I want to get into the activity but i'm clue-less as to where to start. Any advice you can give me would be awsome and I will answer any questions regarding myself if it helps you help me.

Thanks for your time -Greg

Since your in High School, I think
wink.gif
insurance will probably keep you off of a Bike like the Busa. I suggest you look  
SHOCKED.gif
at the GSXR 600 or something simular. You can learn alot more on a smaller bike and the insurance will not be as much as the bike cost you (which could be the case for you with a Hayabusa)  
super.gif

And "OH Yeah"
post-52-02136-welcome.gif
and no matter what you buy, stay on this site and jump in with your ideas  
super.gif

super.gif

(DaCol. @ Sep. 22 2007,18:01) Since your in High School, I think
wink.gif
insurance will probably keep you off of a Bike like the Busa. I suggest you look  
SHOCKED.gif
at the GSXR 600 or something simular. You can learn alot more on a smaller bike and the insurance will not be as much as the bike cost you (which could be the case for you with a Hayabusa)  
super.gif

And "OH Yeah"
and no matter what you buy, stay on this site and jump in with your ideas  
super.gif
TY for the tip
biggrin.gif

super.gif

Can a newbie learn how to ride on Hayabusa, yes.

But I would recommend a cheap used bike first.  Something $3000 or less.  That way "when" it falls over/crashes  
wink.gif
 you won't have scratched up/broken your dream busa  
beerchug.gif
  You're going to make mistakes when you learn, why do that on a $11K bike when you can do it on a $3k or less bike.

Read through the forums and you will find lots of opinions on a Busa as a first bike.

What I would look into it the ownership costs.
How much will insurance cost? (You can get free quotes)
How many miles will you ride in a year? Oil changes every 3k miles or so (if you use synthetic, it'll run you about $50 if you do it yourself).
Tires are not cheap
If you do drop it, plastics are not cheap.
Will you get bit by the modification bug? YOu can spend some serious dough on customizing
all_coholic.gif

Check out cost for jacket/pants and great helmet.
Bike stands for maintenance
Spools
on and on

It's not just the cost of the Busa when you buy it, it's also the maintenence and upkeep.

Read through the forums, lots of good advice here!
beerchug.gif

So, a Busa is out of the question for a first bike... and I should look around the site for information regarding General Riding? cool deal TY guys

:EDIT:      The GSXR 600 was mentioned as a good 1st bike are there any others (I know this topic is no doubt heavily opinionated) I like the General look of the Hayabusa (looks like its going fast at a red light sort of thing).... Anything along these lines

Well maturity comes in a few varieties...

If you plan on riding like the vast majority of the <25 crowd I see, I would reconsider.. if you are willing to let them go by you, knowing you can blow their doors off if need be, then you MIGHT be on the right track. You will find most cool their jets as soon as they see what it is... No point in taching 100+ on a city street to Tbone a car showing off.

Why did you buy a bike like that? < probably one of the most common questions...
What would your answer be?

Mine was I like the idea of having the worlds fastest production bike sitting in the garage to look at and ride anytime I like.. (it makes me smile every time I think about this)

These bikes are almost pure ego trips and you do not even have to ride it fast to get a charge out of it. (or ride it at all). Knowing what it is should be enough to satisfy most urges. Although there is a time and place for everything, this is not a rocket for busy streets... Anyone that cares or knows about bikes is going to know what you have and what it is capable of anyway and will not need proof
smile.gif

If your answer was to go "carve canyon roads" "Do wheelies" "Stunting" "beating other bikes" then you are on the wrong track... There are better bikes for all these.

Buddies that ride these other bikes can sucker you into riding beyond your skills or that of the bikes. (lighter bikes turn harder and faster, you are on a heavy bike here)

To me, the Hayabusa is an easy to ride motorcycle. The power is very predictable and ample at most rpm ranges. It is not the "zingy" keep the R's up to go problem that the 600cc bikes are. The thing can bite you pretty quickly in adverse conditions. I ride in the rain pretty regular, however the first 5 minutes are treacherous. The bike will spin the rear tire cruising at a steady speed when it hits slick spots (un-nerving).

As a first bike, I am just not convinced that there are very many guys that belong on any superbike while developing bike riding skills. If you had years of dirtbikes or other motorcycles, i would be a bit more understanding but as a first bike of any kind, I think it stacks the deck against you.

Even if you can ride a lighter more maneuverable bike for the first year, I think you would be doing yourself and the ones you love a big service. Riding any bike on the street is an exercise in "attention" and learning to expect the unexpected. You must learn to anticipate what a car driver is going to do before they even think about it. This is easier to do with a bike that is more responsive to steering and brake inputs.

You have a lot of years ahead to "move up" as your skills improve. Hate to see you end them early (happens all to often) I would just really consider using one or two of them to learn about street riding.

My first street bike was a Honda 305 dream (historic piece of crap), my first bike that would run for more than 10 minutes was a 650 BSA That was 30 years ago..

(Charlesbusa @ Sep. 22 2007,18:08) Can a newbie learn how to ride on Hayabusa, yes.

But I would recommend a cheap used bike first.  Something $3000 or less.  That way "when" it falls over/crashes  
wink.gif
 you won't have scratched up/broken your dream busa  
beerchug.gif
  You're going to make mistakes when you learn, why do that on a $11K bike when you can do it on a $3k or less bike.
like mine...
sad.gif

100_3813.JPG

Thanks BogusLogon, so you know, the Idea of removing 1 of the 2 wheels (which is already 2 less then normal) sounds absurd to me and I don't know anyone else who rides anything more then a "Vespa". On cash restraints (insurance is a *****) I think I'll go with something that won't cost an outrageous amount per month or make a 225lb 6'0" man cry when it tips over
SHOCKED.gif
. 600 sounds like a good number to start with so far

Take MSF course any good 600 will be good to learn on
be safe always ride within your limits.
beerchug.gif

(Mike.P175 @ Sep. 22 2007,18:45) Take MSF course any good 600 will  be good to learn on
be safe always  ride within your limits.

beerchug.gif
MSF course is required by California law for riders under 18
biggrin.gif
they start out real basic right? I've never been on anything bigger then a mtn bike.....

A used SV650S is a good starter bike too. Got clip-ons, fairing, good motor, and a huge aftermarket.
Cheap to buy, insure, and maintain. And when you've ground the peg feelers completely off, then it will be time to move up.
I started on a 1971 Suzuki 250cc 2 stroke called an X-6 Hustler. It had 17,000 miles showing and the ODO was broke but cost $300. I rode it most of that summer until it siezed and about threw me off one day. Fun while it lasted.
wink.gif

You will be taking the MSF course on a 250cc bike......

You will learn alot......

IMG_0008.JPG

(HillbillyTom @ Sep. 22 2007,20:51) A used SV650S is a good starter bike too. Got clip-ons, fairing, good motor, and a huge aftermarket.
Cheap to buy, insure, and maintain.
Good advice!

All good advice above.

A study was done several years ago which showed that kids who wanted to learn to play basketball did better with a smaller ball and a lower net. When they moved up to full size, they were light years more capable than their friend who had played for the same amount of time with the full size equipment.

The point is the same as the one Charles made above: You'll learn faster on a smaller bike. Look at the smaller bike as a means to an end, a step along the path. You're not compromising your dream, you're making it a reality.

How tall are you? If you're rather tall and/or heavy, a 250cc bike might be a bad way to get started. I think a 250 is not suitable for street riding in any case even if people do it all the time. Definitely, I'm' opposed to using a 250 on the freeways.

How capable are you? You need fast reflexes, balance, ability to control as many variables at a time. How well do you do in a car? Have you had accidents already? Are you a safe driver? I only mention it because in a car, if you make a mistake at 35 mph, you can survive. On a bike, you could easily die. Some people should not ride motorcycles so be honest about this one.

If you ride a GSXR600 (or R6 or whatever other 600cc rice rocket is out there
biggrin.gif
) after a while, you'll know when you're ready for the Busa.

Whatever you decide to ride, keep us posted. We're all experienced bikers and we can give you a lot of pointers along the way. In fact, we LOVE doing this!

--Wag--

my first street bike was a '74 Honda 450 peice of junk i picked up for next to nothing...one of the smarter things i have done in my life as i went down on it several times...once i got up, fixed the bike and dusted myself off, i crawled back on it and kept riding...if it had been a 'Busa, i probably would have killed myself

if you find a decent used bike, you can usually ride it for a year or two and just about get all of your money back when you sell it as long as you don't total it in the meantime...i'm not trying to tell you what to do but that seems like the best idea to me

btw,
to the board and good luck with whatever you decide to do

Sound like you have a level head, welcome to the org. I took the course in California, lived in Rialto, and it was a great class. But, that was 19 years ago. I need to take an advanced course just to freshen up. I am assuming you have checked insurance. If the GSXR is too high, may I suggest a Katana. Those are classed as GSXF and not as high to insure. I used to have a 600 and they are great bikes, well mannered, and would be great for a first time rider. Whatever you get, stay on the board, and read, ask questions.
beerchug.gif

Glad to have you on the org. Great advice hear from the guys. Riding is fun no matter what size bike you are on. Be smart, start small and move up as you skill and budget improves.

Back