IN ALL HONESTY!!!

(captain @ Sep. 17 2007,16:10) My perspective is a little different.... I did go down, recently as you all know. If you will all take a step back there have been a few consistant things....

1. People that survived had their gear on.
2. I see the accidents in two catagories
      a. Riding out of your skill level
      b. Stuff just happens

I am super conservative when I ride, I see my kids futures in my mind every time that I get on the bike, that is what keeps me from doing the stupid stuff.... There are always those accidents that happen regardless if you are on a bike or in a car, if someone slams you at 70 mph head on your gonna die either way.... Wear your gear and give your self the best chance to survive... Have enough self control to not do ignorant things, think of the consequences, just admit when you get in over your head... SLOW DOWN if your riding with a group from this board I promise you that there isnt a single person here that would think less of you if you just slowed down...... You can meet up on down the road, set a destination so that everyone can enjoy the ride......

CAp
Well said cap
beerchug.gif

I think we all get that feeling everytime we see an accident on the news, or someone we know. I've seen accidents happen right in front of me and it is a scary feeling. All we can do is put our faith in god, and know that he is in control. The one thing that is inevietable is we will all go someday, don't know when, how or where.

Been down twice real hard.. 1st one I was laid up for 7 months. 2nd time for two months.

Will I ever stop riding no I don't think so..

Do I ride more conservative.
HELL YES.
super.gif

If I died while riding, it'd be doing something I love doing. I can't think of a better way to go out, can you?

On the other hand, I love to ride so I'll ride safely and continue to do it for as long as I can.

As for getting injured in a bike crash? Right now, I have all the insurance you could ask for. If there comes a time when I don't have the $$ to pay for insurance, I might reassess, but in reality? Just gotta keep riding. It's too much a part of me now.

--Wag--

If you want to get that lovin' feelin' back again, go do a track day!
biggrin.gif

super.gif

--Wag--

(hayadooin @ Sep. 17 2007,15:48) You know everytime I fire up one of my bikes
I know that there is a chance I might get in an
accident. But then I remember that I'm in control
of my machine. I know that one can't control other people's
actions but I can control mine. Now with that being said
Living in Los Angeles via Chicago I fell like my life is at risk
everytime I leave the house, but thats life...... There are
a lot of crazys out there and you never know whats going to happen
but I can't and won't live my life in fear.........

beerchug.gif

Keep the bike, Be carefull, and don't put yourself in a dangerous situation.....
+1
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

As you all know, well most know, I just crashed my 40th Orange Busa and I was hurt pretty bad. Nothing permanent they say so I am lucky. I was wearing my gear except for my pants so my knee's were rashed down to the bone.

I have in the past, flown Helo's in the North Atlantic landing on Frigates in January, been shot at by oil platforms in DS1, crashed snowmobiles at over 100 miles an hour and even to be honest, driven drunk in flight school so much I sometimes wonder how I am even here today.

In my civilian life, I am a Federal Agent on a fugitive operations team. And as some of you might know, I just returned form a one year activation to the Middle East where I commanded a Military Police unit.

What am I saying here? I think it's that, if it's going to happen, it probably will.

Two weeks ago, I was attacked by family and friends about my bike and how dangerous it is. But you know what? I crashed sober at around 70 miles an hour avoiding a stupid car that cut me off. I could have done that on a 350 enduro.

I think I will fix her and continue to ride her. I might wear protective pants from now on but I am not giving up on something I love so much.

This is just what I am feeling right now and I cannot even walk that well yet.

Just my two cents.

Paul

Each day on the way home from work, usually on a bike, as I leave downtown Chattanooga and head through the 'S' curves for the Olgiatti Bridge over the Tennessee River I see "Reese # 3 painted on the wall that divides the north and south bound lanes of US 27. Although, it has been just over a year now, I salute those words each time I pass by. Today when I went by I thought of this thread and totally understand how you feel. I never knew Kristen but her passing has had a lasting effect on me. Maybe it's because I see those words every work day. I also remember that if Kristen had pulled her helmet strap tight she still may be with us today. You see, she liked to leave it loose so she could slip her helmet on and off without having to undo it. Her helmet came off sometime during the crash and she died of severe head trauma. That's when I think that doing the right things may let us live to enjoy this sport for a long time. I have been riding for forty-four years now and I think I have seen it all, but frequently I find myself having to avoid something I have never experienced before. I think my greatest fear is someone running over me from behind, but I just suck it up and keep on riding.

Like Captain said, wear your gear and ride within your ability and don't give up on the fun!!!

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_91981.asp

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_92051.asp

Reese_Number_3.jpg

OLD SLOW Poke HERE! Or that is what I've been called a few times! I just clocked over 12K today on my 06, Traded my B12 Bandit with 47K+ on her and a few others with close to the same. The few rides I've been on, to the Dragon area has become increasingly intense! Hey you with tha busa! a buell rider said last time @ Two's Ga, Why are you always makin us wait! Well that night as i was thinkin about the huge SUV, backing down the blind drive to the road i was running stay up triple digits on!
SHOCKED.gif
It happened to be the same one with gravel tracked onto the pavement that ended a Speed triple riders vacation the next day. I decided then I am not willing to risk having to haul my busa back on a Uhaul Or quite possibly me in reefer bag. For what? No chicken strips! Or to not hear, do you ever take that bike over 65? That's How you get 12K out of a front tire! Or 46 MPG
wow.gif
All these wrecks has made me take a look from a diff perspective. 90% of the bad stuff that happens to US is from our own doing. The Dreaded Left turns by cagers is from us doing double the limit that others aren't used to seein. Heck no I ain't buyin a Kia for trans
rock.gif

(Wag @ Sep. 18 2007,07:46) If you want to get that lovin' feelin' back again, go do a track day!  
biggrin.gif

super.gif

--Wag--
+million trillion!!!!!

Thats all I ever do now is trackdays. It's worse than crack!!

When I get better and need to jockey for position, I will do what Justintym2 did and start club racing!

I think of giving her up sometimes... and today was one of those days. But not for the reason you mention.

First, I think we're all gonna go some day. Ride within your limits, ride defensively and keep your bike in tip-top shape. You can't prevent all accidents, but you can limit your liability. Add to that, cagers die all the time too.

The reason I'm thinking of giving her up is that it's not as much fun to ride. Because of my traffic ticket history, I can't afford another ticket, it will cost me not only court costs/fines but insurance as well. And today, the wife got a ticket in the van. Our insurance may go up 45%
SHOCKED.gif
I can't hang on to the toy paying over $1k for insurance a year. (Plus in the increase on the other two cars).

I took her out today and drove around about 50mph. It was nice to be on the bike, but also a bit sad that I could not open her up a little because I was scared of a LEO around the corner. I'm afraid to ride at times because a ticket happy cop will write me up and I'll pay out the nose.
need....to....be.....responsibl......

aaaaaggggghhhh!

I miss my 1969 Dodge Super Bee. It would be hard for me get a car that has the HP to weight ratio and grin factor that a HP bike puts on my face.

(whitele @ Sep. 17 2007,16:54)  I can't hang on to the toy paying over $1k for insurance a year. (Plus in the increase on the other two cars).

I took her out today and drove around about 50mph. It was nice to be on the bike, but also a bit sad that I could not open her up a little because I was scared of a LEO around the corner. I'm afraid to ride at times because a ticket happy cop will write me up and I'll pay out the nose.
need....to....be.....responsibl......

aaaaaggggghhhh!
Dude I am in California and pay almost $4000 a year for three vehicles and the bike. Fun costs money. Living ain`t free. It costs to breath air, drink water, and to eat. I love to ride. Do I go above the speed limit, yes. But I pick and choose where I get on it. In town, hell no. I go out to the open roads where I can see for miles ahead of me and RIP! In town is a no no. I am on the West coast and there are roads where you see no one for miles. Some of the straights are 5, 10, 15 miles long. It is called flat landing. It takes me 30 minutes to get to the mountains to do twisties.

Pick an choose where you get it on. Be smart. Peace out
wink.gif

I will ride till get enough.

Good luck.

nope...never...dont cross my mind...untill im cussing some idiot that i just KNEW was going to do that.. and then...i quickly forget.... otherwise i am rideing in my limits and my bikes'...having fun..often just daydreaming watching the world go by as i relax on my way to or from work

i have given it serious thought myself recently. i live with the understanding that my life is in the lords hands. when it is my time to go he will use whatever means he wants to take me, this i know. i know that life is a vapor and its gone. as many have posted here, you can go at anytime from anything. if you feel uneasy on the bike it might be your best intrest to sell it. if you can not enjoy it, theres no need in having it.

I gear up and refuse to live in fear. Riding completes my life. If my life is riding I will minimize my risk while having a good time but understand that this activity opens me up to more risk and that is okay with me.
I have had moments of reflection due to people constantly bombarding me with the risks of riding. When I think about most of the examples people share about friends or family dieing on a bike, I can see how inexperience and wrecklessness contributed to many.

Dude, I thought you were posting about marital problems!!

Never occurred to me to sell the bike...
smile.gif

I have been riding now for more than 20 years, have a wife and (5) kids.
I do often think that riding my Busa here in NYC is very dangerous my wife agrees, for that matter riding a motorcyle any were is dangerous. What we all need to realize is that LIVING is dangerouse.. We all need to do our best to minimize our exsposure to harm when at all possible.
I dont ride every day, I drive most days, but when the feeling strikes I start the Busa up and ride and I enjoy it. I do my best not to do things that we would consider stupid, immature or dangerous.

I guess what im saying is, we need to live and enjoy life, cherish every moment because time is ticking for all of us.
Enjoy your bikes, families, dear freinds and good food.!!!!
Take a moment before you ride away from your driveway to take a deep breath and smell the fresh air, look up at the sky and realize your lucky in many ways...
Last but not least, kiss your kids..

Take that ride and be careful and you will make it back home if its gods will...

I gave up riding [owning]for 19 years to raise my 3 kids.I'll now quit when I can't throw a leg over the bike.No, never think of selling.Unless I want a new one
laugh.gif

Back