My friends wife is over weight and mad at me...

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
Once again we delve into the realm of You shouldn't have opened your mouth if you didn't want the truth.

The situation:

Friends wife went from a reasonable weight (her words not mine) to overweight. And I have to agree she is now overwieght.

It all started with a discussion about airline travel and the possibility of having to buy two seats to accomodate additional a## or elbow fat.

She thought this was unfair to the person that was heavy. I told her she was out of her freaking mind to think that is unfair. You know who it is unfair to... The person who has to sit next to the sweaty overweight person who is slowly but surely flubbering over into thier personal space.

So we politely argued back and forth good naturedly until she said "Well what would you have me do? Its not like its my fault?" Here is where I think I screwed up...

I said anyone who:

Already has their halloween candy out and has to refill the bowl twice aday is their own problem. It is only the 20th for Pete's sake.

Uses more than a 1lb of butter a week when cooking is their own problem.

Doesn't get off thier ass anymore to excersise is thier own problem.

Has a personal or mental problem that doesn't get help.

You want to be fat be fat... But don't bitch at me when you have to buy two tickets to fly anywhere.

You make at least two pies a week and I can't get a freaking piece of one of them.

And stop getting angry at the food... It is not like it jumps into your mouth when your sleeping to ruin that 5000 calorie a day diet.

This is not a poke at anyone who is struggling with thier weight but more of a rehash of a conversation that I kinda regret but need to vent and feel was necassery because no one else was giving her any input.

And I should add that she is prior military and knows how to excersise and has excersised and been a normal weight for most of her life.

End of rant.

I should add that we are still friends and her husband thanked me for my honesty... I would have punched me in the mouth if it had been me though. I did explain to her that the only reason I got so angry is because I and many others have offered to excersise with her and support her.

So did I do the right thing? Her husband thinks I did but I 'm not sure that honesty is always the best policy.

(jessup @ Oct. 20 2006,13:29) .....person who is slowly but surely flubbering over into thier personal space.  
I know this isn't funny but I had to
laugh.gif
a little at this part........
crazy.gif

(guido4512 @ Oct. 20 2006,13:34)
(jessup @ Oct. 20 2006,13
super.gif
) .....person who is slowly but surely flubbering over into thier personal space.  
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
I actually edited it down from what I actually said because when reading it prior to posting it was even funnier which wasn't really my intent...

But I think the thing that kept it pretty even when it happened was that it was funny. In a way.

She's just mad cuz you pointed out the truth.

I'm overweight now, but was even more so a few years ago. And took it hard when people pointed out the obvious.

She needs to learn how to be responsible.

You need to learn when to keep your mouth closed.  
wink.gif
laugh.gif

It boils down I think to a big problem with people these days

NO one and I mean NO ONE!! wants to take responsability for themsleves.

No matter what it is, being over weight, burning yourself with coffee from a store that YOU placed between your legs.

Deciding to go around railroad track arms when a train is coming and then getting smacked by the train.. gee wasnt the idiots fault who ignored the lowered arms aned falshing red lights and a train horn blaring, nope it was the rail road company's fault for not having a million dollar steel wall pop up to protect idiots form themselves!!!

Like you said, if someone enjoys food, and they enjoy eating and it doesn’t bother them if they carry around an extra few hundred pounds, and if it doesn’t matter to them that they will probably have a shorter life span due to problems that will occur form being overweight most of their life then cool, doesn’t bother me in the least, as long as it doesn’t put me out..

But yeah, pisses me off when I get on to a crowded plane or something  and my butt is having to touch the persons but next to me.

If a person is big enough to fill up two seats, then they need to pay for two seats. It is not fair that their chosen life style should impact others.

But in regards to your argument about her personal appearance, you should have probably just let it go.

It is fine to point something out to a friend IF they are asking advice, but once it obviously becomes an argument, at that point they really dont want your input unless it goes hand in hand with their perception. All you are doing is straining a friendship. and friends should be there for each other good or bad, and sometimes as a friend you just need to smile and nod

Ya know - to whomever is overweight, I'm sure this is a touchy subject.

However, I agree with you - If one is not going to take responsibility to try and lose the weight, then don't come b!tching to me about how heavy, big, fat, etc. you are.

Another thing - don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it; I don't sugar-coat things. I'll tell ya what I think - whether you like it or not.

Ya know - what you did may have been a good thing. Sometimes spouses/significant others don't listen to their partner. But if something comes from someone else...that may be all that's needed for it to sink in.

WELL I HAVE GAINED 20 LPS LATELY AND YOU KNOW IT IS MY FAULT AND I KNOW IT BUT IT IS HOW I AM EATING AND WORK SCHEDULE

BUT THIS WAS FUNNY AS HE11

Just so people realize that I wasn't poking fun at people with weight issues. I know it is a difficult thing to go through, overcome and/or deal with.

This was more of an experience with a good friend and not intended to hurt/harm/defame or make anyone feel bad. That being said.

I agree with you ron and ladyhawke and omar but I will say never open the door if you don't want to see what is on the other side... She has known me for a long time and wasn't suprised by my comments or the feeling with which I expressed them. Although I will take the advice of smiling and nodding when next in this type of situation!

The popcorn emoticon is funny (you bastids.)

(guido4512 @ Oct. 20 2006,10:34)
(jessup @ Oct. 20 2006,13
super.gif
) .....person who is slowly but surely flubbering over into thier personal space.
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
He he he... That's funny stuff.

I grew up in a house where "Finish Your Plate". And Food as Love was common. Baking, Feeding, Big Dinners and Huge Proportions were the standard.

NOW, I still have food issues. It's funny as hell sometimes just how HAPPY I'll get over a fresh Pizza when I am real hungry. So I can relate to folks with food issues, overeating etc...

I still over eat sometimes and it pisses me off. I get extra pissed off at parents with FAT A55 kids... Christ they are killing their kids and are too fat and lazy to do anything about it. The least folks can do is make certain that their own crappy diets and lazy habbits do not get passed on, but many of these "Plus Size" folks wont even admit they have a problem...

NOPE The US is that fattest nation on the planet and we keep getting fatter. WHY? Because everyone is a fuggin victim. Ton's of fun over there isn't responsible for their size, NOPE it's a disease, or they have been victimized by marketing.

Anyway, my whole family just about is fat, if not obese, every one of us is carrying prolly 30 lbs extra.

I don't think what was said is a problem, sure it's going to hurt some feelings, folks who have been clinging desperately to the notion that they are NOT at FAULT and are VICTIMS react poorly when confronted with the reality of their own actions.

Being FAT SUCKS... There is no way around it. And I do think food is addictive, it's a drug like any other but it's more sneaky, more subtle. I'll frequently be patrolling the kitchen for a twinkie without even realizing I'm doing it... I come inside, go straight to the fridge and start looking for something. I'm not even hungry but there I am.

It's much worse when you've got plenty of money, well hell cause then I can afford WHATEVER I WANT... So yeah... I was alot skinnier when I was Poor a55 broke, and didn't have a desk job...

Ah well, I'll tell ya though, I'm tired of being 240.

The first step is admitting you have a problem... The second step is finding someone else to blame it on...

Now she's just using your sig against you

Nobody seems to care when you say how skinny a person is . I delt with that when I was younger now that I'm older i'm
SHOCKED.gif
trying to lose wieght . I think you said to her what her husband couldn't but wanted to say . Being fat for some people is a medical problem but for most its an eating and exersizing problem . And I loved the halloween coment!

(NVeeus04 @ Oct. 20 2006,14:37) The first step is admitting you have a problem... The second step is finding someone else to blame it on...

Now she's just using your sig against you
Good catch... I was being sarcastic... in my sig that is...

Grew up with an alcoholic who always admitted that they had a problem but always found someone else to blame it on... Which was actually kind of good and goes along with Projeckts nature or nurture topic...

so my sig is more of how I view the world not necassirly myself although I am guilty of that mindset once in awhile...

Will never forget when I was a crass insensitive 20 year old and worked with a girl who was pretty and about 30 lbs overweight. One day about a week after she started work there I was walking past her, stopped suddenly on impulse and looked her straight in the eye and said, "You are SO pretty, why don't you lose all that extra weight?!?"
Her mouth dropped open, made about a half disbelieving smile and her blue eyes were about the size of saucers. I turned around and kept walking.

Eight weeks later she was her perfect weight and began modeling.

We became close friends later and she confided that nobody had EVER talked that way to her before, and she just decided by damn she would SHOW me if I was cocky enough to just throw it at her that way!

P.S.- I still do NOT recommend this approach to the situation! Lucky I didn't get my fool head slapped clean off...

(Shibumi @ Oct. 20 2006,15:43) Will never forget when I was a crass insensitive 20 year old and worked with a girl who was pretty and about 30 lbs overweight. One day about a week after she started work there I was walking past her, stopped suddenly on impulse and looked her straight in the eye and said, "You are SO pretty, why don't you lose all that extra weight?!?"
Her mouth dropped open, made about a half disbelieving smile and her blue eyes were about the size of saucers. I turned around and kept walking.

Eight weeks later she was her perfect weight and began modeling.

We became close friends later and she confided that nobody had EVER talked that way to her before, and she just decided by damn she would SHOW me if I was cocky enough to just throw it at her that way!

P.S.- I still do NOT recommend this approach to the situation! Lucky I didn't get my fool head slapped clean off...
Bwah ha ha!!

good one!! glad it turned out well
biggrin.gif

Back