Important lesson learned today...dont run from the cops

street racer

Donating Member
Registered
Was involved in a hit and run this morning in my van. Kid blew a stop sign, hit my drivers door and front quarter panel, backed up and took off. I followed him to get his license number and after a few miles of absolutely crazy driving he had a choice of hitting a car head on or taking the ditch. Luckily for the other car he took the ditch and took out a small tree and a sign. I pulled in the next driveway and grabbed him as he was exiting his car. Young kid, maybe 20, really scared. I made him sit down while we waited for the police to arrive. I asked him why he ran. I told him it was just an accident, just a matter of a little money and you put your own life and a few others in danger by running. He said he was just scared. Needless to say he was taken away in handcuffs. His car probably totaled now.
On the way home from my insurance agent, I was thinking about a few times that I outran the cops on my bike instead of facing the comparitively small consequences of a ticket. DONT RUN GUYS...IT AINT WORTH IT AND I WILL NEVER RUN AGAIN.

I have run twice. Both were years ago, when I was much younger and full of stupidity. I recall both times and remember how close I came to killing myself. It is just not worth it!!! I will not be that stupid again!!

Glad you were able to catch him. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What the hell I do not care how scare a person is why run it is not worth it. I have seen and heard this excuss more and more these days by kids it is a complete shame. Good on ya for catching the kid hope he had insurance

Glad you were able to catch him. Like you I will not run. I posted up a few weeks ago, how I stopped and waited for the LEO after doing something stupid in front of him. My life is worth more than anything they could write me for. Running is for LOSERS.

Just playing devils advocate here but didnt you put others lives in danger when you chased him down? If you had the license number then why continue on the pursuit? I understand you were mad at the time but I would think that you would just let the police handle it. Because what if you would have hit another car in the process. And I dont know why he only had the choice of hitting a car head on and a ditch but just by chance you caused him to only have that choice then I see it as you would be to blame for his going off the road and I just pray you dont get a call from his dads lawyer calling for attempted manslaughter.

Sorry for the ranting but I dont see the point in almost killing the kid that ran into your car just because he ran from you after you had his plates.

Again just playing the other side. Or what a passerby would have seen. I just wouldn't want to hear from someone that you were chasing down some kid and you killed some family or you were killed.

Glad everything turned out ok and sorry to hear about your car. Hope you get it fixed quick and without hassles.

Just playing devils advocate here but didnt you put others lives in danger when you chased him down? If you had the license number then why continue on the pursuit? I understand you were mad at the time but I would think that you would just let the police handle it. Because what if you would have hit another car in the process. And I dont know why he only had the choice of hitting a car head on and a ditch but just by chance you caused him to only have that choice then I see it as you would be to blame for his going off the road and I just pray you dont get a call from his dads lawyer calling for attempted manslaughter.

Sorry for the ranting but I dont see the point in almost killing the kid that ran into your car just because he ran from you after you had his plates.

Again just playing the other side. Or what a passerby would have seen. I just wouldn't want to hear from someone that you were chasing down some kid and you killed some family or you were killed.

Glad everything turned out ok and sorry to hear about your car. Hope you get it fixed quick and without hassles.

+1, glad it turned out well. I may have done the same in that situation, but probably not the best choice.

yea i agree w/ the above i might've done what you did, but later it would prove to be a not so smart choice if you had his tags and stuff

but still glad you caught him and glad your alright, hope you get your car fixed soon

I'd have run his sorry *** down too. Been a lot of hit & runs locally lately, and just getting a plate # and car description won't do. If they get out of sight, their lawyer says, "you can't prove they were driving the car", end of subject. They walk and you and your ins. co. are stuck with the bill for your damages.
I know, if they were'nt driving it who was? But it never goes that way, just stops at "they weren't" and your screwed. Your only hope is if the suffered some injuries that your ins co. attourney can prove to be the result of them hitting you. Sad how so many laws are designed to protect the guilty.

Last edited:
I'd have run his sorry *** down too. Been a lot of hit & runs locally lately, and just getting a plate # and car description won't do. If they get out of sight, their lawyer says, "you can't prove they were driving the car", end of subject. They walk and you and your ins. co. are stuck with the bill for your damages.
I know, if they were'nt driving it who was? But it never goes that way, just stops at "they weren't" and your screwed.

That may be true but tell that to the family you might kill in the process of just trying to run them down just to fix your car. Not worth it in my book. But then again I do alot things others wouldn't approve of so.....

got to tell my lil story we have a notorious speed trap here its a 35mph zone thats watched 90% of the time one night i passed a car on the double yellow at about 110 and slowed hard comin into the speed zone. i hit the 35 at about 75 and slowed to 55 then saw the lights. i was on the side of the road immediatly when the cop pulled up he asked why didnt i just run? he said he wouldnt have chased me far. i just smiled and said hey i was wrong and your just doin your job, why risk my life or others just to try and beat a ticket. he just laughed at me and said when i run your license is anything going to come back? to witch i replied i pulled over didnt I? with that he said be safe and let me go. just remember no matter how fast you are the radio is faster.

I am glad that you told this story and now you see the light. Congradulations!!!! It reminds me of the time when my mother "found" religion and than she would send my father's child support to Jim Baker every month while we really did not have food for the house. Sorry for the sarcasm. I read your story and all I read in it you took the law in your own hands and chased someone (who was scared) and he lost control of his car and he crashed in the ditch. I "truely" understand about getting the license number ONLY and than call the police. But for you to chase the driver for a "few" (who knows how many real miles)you also were putting the public and your own life in danger. Maybe next time it would be a better situation to get the license plate and allow the police to do their job. Maybe the next time (if there is a next time) this happens and you go chasing someone that person will have a weapon like a gun and he decides to shoot you!!!! If I seen this kid was driving "crazy" I would had let him go. No need to have someone get killed. I am sure if you did not get the license plate, you must have insurance that would cover the damage without a issue to you. Your scenerio sounds to me almost like the scenerio we see when police chase motorcycles and the motorcyclist does not pull over cause he was scared. Were you scared when you were out running the police? Did you not feel the same feeling as this kid. Don't get me wrong the kid is wrong. But you are equally wrong to chase him as well. Maybe, if you got the license plate and gave it to the police, they would had caught up to him without a problem and without him running into a ditch. Ok, hero.....I will get off my soap box.

Was involved in a hit and run this morning in my van. Kid blew a stop sign, hit my drivers door and front quarter panel, backed up and took off. I followed him to get his license number and after a few miles of absolutely crazy driving he had a choice of hitting a car head on or taking the ditch. Luckily for the other car he took the ditch and took out a small tree and a sign. I pulled in the next driveway and grabbed him as he was exiting his car. Young kid, maybe 20, really scared. I made him sit down while we waited for the police to arrive. I asked him why he ran. I told him it was just an accident, just a matter of a little money and you put your own life and a few others in danger by running. He said he was just scared. Needless to say he was taken away in handcuffs. His car probably totaled now.
On the way home from my insurance agent, I was thinking about a few times that I outran the cops on my bike instead of facing the comparitively small consequences of a ticket. DONT RUN GUYS...IT AINT WORTH IT AND I WILL NEVER RUN AGAIN.

I had to come back to this thread because at lunch time today after I dropped off my wife I was on my way back to work well came up to a light the 2 left lanes are left turn lanes I was in the far left lane well the guy that was right behind me decided after he turned left he wanted to be in the right lane vise the left lane well he put the car in the right lane right into the curb and did not even have the never to stop I saw the whole thing in my rear view mirror so I just slowed down and kept the guy at a slow pace until the other car caught up with the guy and pretty much forced him to pull over and kept him from running from the guy he just put into the curb

I have to agree with the others that the right thing to do is report the plate to the cops.. However, I may have been angry enough to chase the guy down and hurt his feelings too.

I never shoulda run from that cop,
but I was high.

I shoulda pulled right over and stopped,
but I was high.

Now I'm a quadrapelegic,
and I know why.....

cuz I wuz high, cuz I wuz high, cuz I wuz high.

We all do things in the heat of the moment. Has anyone else noticed the common theme that they ran when they were younger? Youth is not an excuse to run and the kid was wrong. Things that one considers minor (like a fender bender) at age 35-40 (after a few years of experience and maturity) are world-ending at the age of 18-25.

Glad everyone is in once piece.

No running from the cops.

Unless of course its the one from The Village People or the one from the movie Wild Hogs.

Run Forest Run like the wind

Back