Learned a valuable lesson today.

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Today on my way to work, I decided to take it easy on my way there. As soon as I hit the expressway, a car with 2 guys in it, possibly drunk or maybe just silly as he!!, began shouting and screaming and giving me the thumbs-up. I threw them a peace sign thinking they would go about their business, but then the passenger began flinging his arm forward as if to say "TAKE OFF". At first I was reluctant but when the road cleared up, I decided to give them something to tell their friends. I kicked it from 3rd to 2nd and mashed it. In a matter of seconds they were nothing more than a spot in my mirror. I got it to about 150 (in gears past 2nd of course), and for whatever reason regained the urge to take it easy. I rolled off the throttle, pulled in the clutch, kicked it into 6th, and let the bike slow down to about 75mph and cruised from there.

No more than 3 seconds after my bike slowed to that speed, I went under an overpass where a State Trooper was hiding on the other side.  
wow.gif

Just then I began thinking, "what if I had kept it pinned just to impress these idiots whom I don't even know". I would have gotten a huge fine, possibly went to jail and had my bike taken, or possibly injured myself or worse trying to get away. For what?? For no good reason what-so-ever.

The rest of the ride to work I was saying to myself what idiots they were to encourage a biker to speed. But now that I reflect on it, I was the idiot. Had I gotten a ticket, I would have had to pay for it, not them. Had I ran and gotten hurt in a failed attempt, me and my family would feel the pain, not them and theirs.

Man, I can't even think of a decent way to end this post. Right now I feel like that stick figure I saw on someone's avatar recently. The one where he gets frustrated and starts banging his head on the keyboard ... quite funny actually. It was so idiotic of me to give in to that garbage. Oh well, this is definantly a case of me learning from my mistake.

Okay, I'm done now ... carry on, nothing else to see here folks.

Hey, at least you're developing a mind set to keep yourself safe and fine-free...

tounge.gif
 Don't beat yourself up...we've all done stuff like that...well, maybe not me, but others...
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: "hrmmm..."|1122986649 -->

I like to nail it and rail it as much as anybody but the trick is when and where to do it sanely. I've become v-e-r-y picky about the when and where part and that allows me to go home safely (without citations) and still have my "fun". Glad you dodged the bullet and got it figured out.
smile.gif

It's not even worth showing off to 2 guys, if they were girls well, yeah
tounge.gif
... JK, glad you evaded a ticket there Bro., besides it adds to the experience belt
wink.gif

At least you learned from it
cool.gif

We all have our moments of weekness
wink.gif

Hi, My name is ranger, and I am guilty of occasional stupidity also. The 1st step is admitting the mistake, the healing is up to you...LoL We've all done it. BTW, I love that avatar too, some much so I changed mine, hope that's ok with whoever it belongs.

Back