Mechanical lesson learned

aussiesuzukirider

Never Forgotten
:banghead: Stripped the thread on the sump ....not me my son he tightened it with his fingers then started to use the socket and thought that doesn't feel right so he took it off again and there was thread falling on the floor she was stripped bare,so off to the dealer this morning he goes has a chat to the techs and they say yeh happens all the time IF YOU DO NOT REPLACE THE CRUSH WASHER ON THE SUMP PLUG so the son and one of the techs jump in the dealership van head home collect the Busa and take it back to the shop where they will re-thread the sump....... Lesson Learnt

Yep, happens to a lot of people.
+1 on not being the crush washer.
I feel your pain on this one, hope your baby has a speedy recovery..!! :-)

I have a cure for that little troublesome fear.

I drill a hole in the plug and safety wire that puppy and only torque the plug to 10 lbs instead of the 16 suggested by suzuki.

I change the oil sometimes on a weekly basis according to how many track events she has encountered. I never replace the crush washer and it never leaks. And,,,,,,,,,,, it keeps from wearing out the aluminum threads from repeated use.

Takes a little effort on the set up but pays big dividends in the long run!

I always hear of nightmares when it comes to those things, that's why I was so afraid to do it myself. I did it anyway, without a torque wrench. I just tightened it a little more than finger tight. I figured if it leaks I'll tighten it up until it stops, but it never did. I will get a torque wrench though because I will NEVER pay the dealer to do it again. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

One thing I do is use a 1/4 inch socket and just snug it up. I never put a 3/8 socket on it for fear of doing the same thing.

I drill a hole in the plug and safety wire that puppy and only torque the plug to 10 lbs instead of the 16 suggested by suzuki.

I change the oil sometimes on a weekly basis according to how many track events she has encountered. I never replace the crush washer and it never leaks. And,,,,,,,,,,, it keeps from wearing out the aluminum threads from repeated use.

hey that is a great idea thanks:thumbsup:

finger tighten then use a short ratchet till she feels snug. After i replace the oil if there is any dripping then i just tighten a little as needed til she stops.

Ditto on that one. I got predrilled aluminum one from don't remember where, and always wire because it was recommended for track days. Never use a torque wrench - just go by feel. Never got loose, and never had a leak. Yeah, never replaced the washer because the aftermarket one has rubber washer seated in the recess of the plug which barely sticks out. I check it once in a while and it still looks good.

I change oil once a year though.

hmmm funny, cuz the day we left for Indy GP, we had that same problem on my bother's 04 Busa. I think my cousin who added the oil after the kinda overhaul we did to it, he over tightened it and wow, just as we leave for Indy we see the problem.
Quickly for over to Inglis (local show) and they re threaded it, put a HeliCoil and away we went.
...I gotta add though, as we're sittin in the waiting area to the "oil problem" fixed, my Brother says in a deep sigh "so this is what it's like to be a Harley owner"
(no ill intent to all the Harley owners by the way, just found it funny)

tl401e08stee.jpg

Last edited:
:banghead: Stripped the thread on the sump ....not me my son he tightened it with his fingers then started to use the socket and thought that doesn't feel right so he took it off again and there was thread falling on the floor she was stripped bare,so off to the dealer this morning he goes has a chat to the techs and they say yeh happens all the time IF YOU DO NOT REPLACE THE CRUSH WASHER ON THE SUMP PLUG so the son and one of the techs jump in the dealership van head home collect the Busa and take it back to the shop where they will re-thread the sump....... Lesson Learnt

39,000 miles on my bike. I change the oil EVERY 3000 miles max...so that's
13 oil changes...and I've still use the ORIGINAL crush washer and I don't leak
a drop...crowd goes wild. :cheerleader:

Thanks guys I pick the bike up at lunch time I had a Helicoil put in it:thumbsup: Good replys to a job that a lot of non mechanics do so I hope that some lessons were learnt from this post I know I have.:thumbsup:

Back