Oil Drain Bolt Leaking..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Put a new crush washer on the drain bolt last oil change. Had to cut the old one off with my Dremel and must have nicked the shoulder of the bolt a little cause now it leakes a drop every few hours. It's torqued to 17 ft lbs and I'm not going any tighter. Not stripped or cross threaded, just won't seal anymore. Gonna order a new drain bolt here when the parts shop opens.
Bought a PITA, anybody else ever have this happen?

Put a little dab of silicone between the bole and washer and your leak will stop. Just be sure not to forget to order a new drain plug from your dealer.

I always keep a spare drain plug and a couple washers in my tool chest for insurance.

Ordered a bolt, will be a week or so before it gets here though.
In the meantime I'll do a super clean on my drain pan (or just buy a new one), drain the oil and silicon the bolt for now.
Put the new one and a new crush washer in on the next oil change.
Thanks Tuf and Goldenchild, that was my plan but I figured I'd see what the Org. imput was.:thumbsup:

What the others say is good advice for a slightly damaged drain bolt.

At the first oil change on my '06, I re-used the same crush washer, installed a new Suzuki filter, tighten everything up, and rode. In the next days I noticed a slight drip off the drain bolt. I tightened it again, promising myself to use a new crush washer at the next oil change. However, the problem was not with the bolt or washer, the problem was with the filter. I had neglected to tighten it extra well and a small amount of oil was leaking off the filter and collecting on the drain bolt. So, I retightened the oil filter, and the drip stopped completely. Suzuki uses a "fine thread" on their filter and filter bolt and this requires that the filter be tightened somewhat more than what I'd normally do on my car filter. I don't know the technicalities of this...but I know what has to be done to stop that small leakage.

Just thought I'd share from past experience.

Back