I'm debating on taking my Busa to Japan.

Registered
I'm heading to Okinawa Japan next May. I will be stationed there for at least 3 years. My question is: should I bring the bike with me or keep it here while I'm away? The red tape is unbelievable so I'm going to list the facts to help you guys in your input. Thanks.

1. A 250cc or larger displacement manufactured beyond July 1999 requires an emissions test and brake certification.

2. Bringing the bike to Okinawa is free.

3. The emissions test and brake test is only done in mainland Japan. Average cost is $2500-$4000 for a dealer to ship and do the paper work for you.

4. The bike has to be completely stock to pass inspection and emissions.

5. The brake test is actually a quick look over, they don't even test drive the bike.

6. The bikes there are inflated in price. reference: Okinawa bookoo - Okinawa, Japan although cars are dirt cheap.

7. I contacted Suzuki for an emissions and brake cert, but they only mailed me the certification for US specification. They basically told me in a nice way that they can, but they won't give me the Japanese certs that I needed.

I just can't imagine the BS that comes with it. Its amazing that I have to go through this to ride a bike that was made over there. I really wish I could bring her over. Is it worth it?

Last edited:
store the bike. buy a beater car (or bike) while you're there. as you have already figured out, too much hassle and $$$. best of luck!

P.S. Although possible, few places to really open up your bike on The Rock!

At least 3 years.
Looks like you have 3 choices here..
1. Take it with you and pay whatever is required to have it there.
2. Store it, take the depreciation factor, replace everything that has
died, dry rotted, gummed up, etc.. from setting 3+ years, and try to get it running right again.
3. The painful option.. sell it. And buy a brand new whatever is hot in 2013-2014 when you get back.

I think you might want to consider selling it unless you will be back in the states often enough to enjoy it.

Are you military? Last time I moved(granted not to Japan) my MC was considered household goods and just went toward my overall weight.

I would take mine or sell it. I would not store it.

he said it would be free to get there, just spendy to inspect.

Free to get to Okinawa. $2500-$4000 to ship it a little ways over to the main island of Japan and back, for the inspect. The nightmare lies in the technicalities.

If you didn't take it with you then you would probably be sorry later. Your going to miss the hell out of your Busa!:whistle:

I say sell it, then rent occasionally when you want to ride over there. Buy a brand new w/e when you come back. Yes they're great bikes, but they don't store well and you'll be paying 30-50% of it's value just to ride it over there. The pragmatic decision would be to apply that coin to a new whip.

Store it/sell it. Buy another one when you get there. There was a GSXR1000 on the site you posted, a bit pricey, but not too bad, thats what i would do, i wouldnt make it 3yrs. without riding. 1 season was waaay to long, but 3yrs!!

First, it is difficult because you are re-importing a vehicle; specifically one that is not Japanese spec. Also, look into insurance... and see what the coverage is and see it would cost on top.

Start looking at the different lemon lots on the bases and see if you can pick up a bike that is already certified - same with the cars... that will be your best bet. I spent a few years on Okinawa before I lived on the mainland... IMHO - leave your scoot and get one there... I didn't ride on Okinawa; but lots of people do... where will you be stationed?

I think i'd sell mine here; when I got there try to find one already there to buy and ride for three years (if it's that expensive, I'll bet there is a market within the military community for used bikes already inspected as people PCS), and use all that cash to buy the 2014 model!

Sell it, and buy one in Japan and bring it back to the States. You might get lucky and find a bike not available in the States.

I would think save her here for when you get back but by all means by another when you are there. Don't the Japs have bikes we only dream about over there ? I remember seeing
some incredible bikes while travelling and I think you could find a really nice 500cc bike there that's wicked quick. They still have legal 2 stroke 4 cyls over there !

At least 3 years.
Looks like you have 3 choices here..
1. Take it with you and pay whatever is required to have it there.
2. Store it, take the depreciation factor, replace everything that has
died, dry rotted, gummed up, etc.. from setting 3+ years, and try to get it running right again.
3. The painful option.. sell it. And buy a brand new whatever is hot in 2013-2014 when you get back.

Option 3 is the better way to go IMO...........

sell it and buy one there bro... even if you u pay a bit more..3 years is a long time without a busa... then sell it before you come back home and buy yourself a busa here upon return... you live once!!! enjoy!

whatever u sell it for in the US you add 3k for the inspect, and a few more and you have yourself a pure Jap Busa!

Back