Ike's got me worried!

I work for Steamatic Inc the big restoration and cleanup company and my phone has been blowin up with all of our stores getting ready for this thing. the guys in galveston said the piers for the cruise ships are about two feet under water and the rest of the island is about to be. Corpus is saying that they are all but deserted down there and that the surge is huge. All the way up central texas im getting calls about estimates from buisnesses that are going to need work done. people are really freakin out about this one. but the current track puts the worst of it up the far east texas line and most of it into louisiana and ark. the whole gulf coast is watching this one. To the guys on the coast. Be safe and go with your guts on this. Try not to be to big of heros. were prayin for yall.

watch the cnn tv about galveston and ship channel in houston, it does not look good.

They are predicting that it is going up the channel. I dread the potential for oil and chemical spills, also natural gas.

What blows my mind is that as far out as the storm still is, heading in the opposite direction, Louisiana is already flooding.

Freeways and train lines going in and out of the area will likely be taken out by storm surge.

They say Ike is something like 500 miles across and that its going to do more damage than rita and katrina. Also Texas city is in the direct path now and is a huge refinery for gas and oil.

They are predicting that it is going up the channel. I dread the potential for oil and chemical spills, also natural gas.

What blows my mind is that as far out as the storm still is, heading in the opposite direction, Louisiana is already flooding.

Freeways and train lines going in and out of the area will likely be taken out by storm surge.

because this thing is 900 miles wide surging all the gulf water to the shore.
man... i am not looking forward to tomorrow. :drinka:

I made it home, still kinda mild so far. Kinda hot and humid and the wind is blowing a little, but not too bad yet. Hope everyone further south is ok.

I made it home, still kinda mild so far. Kinda hot and humid and the wind is blowing a little, but not too bad yet. Hope everyone further south is ok.

you stayin put since your not that far north of Houston? I heard that Harris county officials told everyone to stay put and bunker down.

I just talked to two buddies of mine that were going to ride out Ike down in Galveston They said that they just passed over the bridge on 45 to get off the island and were headed up to houston. They said that the waves were over the sea wall and flooding all the houses on the Strand and that Stewart Beach is completely underwater. they also said that alot of people are still trying to get up to houston.

you stayin put since your not that far north of Houston? I heard that Harris county officials told everyone to stay put and bunker down.

Yep, we will be sticking it out here. Don't really have anywhere else to go anyway. Last thing I need to due is anchor my storage bldg a little better. Will be working on that in about 10min. We will just have to see how bad it gets.

I just talked to two buddies of mine that were going to ride out Ike down in Galveston They said that they just passed over the bridge on 45 to get off the island and were headed up to houston. They said that the waves were over the sea wall and flooding all the houses on the Strand and that Stewart Beach is completely underwater. they also said that alot of people are still trying to get up to houston.

I hope everyone makes it out ok!!! Best of luck to your buddies!

thanks man... i went through hurricane alicia in 83 here and it was bad but they are saying this is even worse.

Those living along a gulf-facing stretch of Galveston and neighboring Bolivar Peninsula were warned by the National Weather Service that people in single-family one- or two-story homes who ignore the orders could “face certain death.”

Thats from the NWS? Wow

Those living along a gulf-facing stretch of Galveston and neighboring Bolivar Peninsula were warned by the National Weather Service that people in single-family one- or two-story homes who ignore the orders could “face certain death.â€￾

Thats from the NWS? Wow

Yea, thats bad for thoes furthers south. Hope everyone has taken the proper percautions.

All this, and it's just a cat 2???
All this and it's still 8 hours from landfall??
5.2 million households in Texas projected to lose power? Starting to sound like Armageddon.

I hope the prolonged power outages don't end up what I think they might.
You peeps in Houston, you might strongly consider getting out while you still can, it's going to be rough there after the storm. I know the roads are packed, oy vey. I'm glad I'm not there. I was back in Lafayette just a few weeks before Andrew showed up, this is going to make Andrew look like a cakewalk.

What people who don't know hurricanes don't realize, it's not over when the storm passes.
It can take some time to get the streets cleared of building and tree parts, get the live power lines off the streets and off the ground and get electricity working again, not to mention phones and cell phones.

I know people in Louisiana who still don't have power restored after Gustav.

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/26674123#26674123" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

watch this. What an idiot. Just to get the news.

Back