I rode a 14 tonight

(GPW @ Sep. 06 2006,20:27)
(BigBSBusa @ Sep. 06 2006,18:25) Cool!  What's happening with the grills?
I was going to sand them off, big issue the plastic from the opposite side of the grills is pushed through to make the grill so if you sand them away there is a hole on the line. Looking for Carbon Fiber sections to replace that piece as we speak. It will be pricey but it should look sharp with the Gale Speed gun metal finish wheels.
Curious to see how it looks.
rock.gif

(GPW @ Sep. 06 2006,21:21)
(BigBSBusa @ Sep. 06 2006,18:12) My eyes!  My eyes!  The reflectors are scarring the retinas!
biggrin.gif
 How'd the dyno numbers turn out?
Yeah I know that front refector could save my butt at an intersection so I am not sure yet, adding some new graphics tomorrow so it might come off. I already clipped the under tail.

The dyno work took about five hours. We started with 166 stock. We pulled the secondaries (biggest change we could have made unleashed the lower end) we also pulled a very restrictive metal screen off of the air filter, we added a full Tsukigi Racing 4 into 1 and switched the oil the Royal Purple's "Max Cycle".  Also activated the accelerator function on the PCIII with settings of 92% - 25 engine rev. and 15% of fuel. The map is outstanding, perfect fuel air ratio.

Our final result was 186.9 SAE @ 106 ft pounds of torque. DJ "Sageronin" was there for the entire tuning period. With the flies out it was tough getting the bike dialed in but we did. 12.3 to 1 is the sweet spot a/f for the 14 like 13.1 to 1 is for the Busa. The bike now is completly unreal from a stop. Lots more work to do. Just info not picking a Busa/14 fight here by any means.
Wow, those are some impressive increases! I like the bike, it looks different. But seriously, what where they thinking when they decided on the grill side panels? Definately different. It looks soooo much better with the custom smooth panels. All black............

p.s. Thanks for the comparisons, nice and informative!

GPW...here's a suggestion you might find intriguing for a bling thing...go ahead and blend the gills away and then?...back the holes up with some S.S. wire mesh...the silver mesh on black should look badazz....it would to me anyways.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Sounds cool Sage and I know it's been said many times but I just can't get past the look. I'm not committed to any dealer, I just like certain bikes. The busa when I first saw one in 99' I couldn't stop drooling. So I guess just like the 14 it's one of those bikes that you will either hate or love. I saw a blue one at my local shop tuesday and it looked okay, but I still don't like the styling. Thanks for the review, I'd like to ride one just for kicks though.

(JINKSTER @ Sep. 06 2006,19:03) GPW...here's a suggestion you might find intriguing for a bling thing...go ahead and blend the gills away and then?...back the holes up with some S.S. wire mesh...the silver mesh on black should look badazz....it would to me anyways.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Excellent idea!!

When the new wheels get here I am going to paint the lower forks which are that bronze color, I hate. Which color....red or black. Also, the heal gaurds, would you guys powder coat them black or red? Come on mod freaks help a brother out.

I wanted to mix up the run on red look a little. I added some grpahics designed for the BMW K1200S. What do you think?

ZX-142006GlamourShots010.jpg

ZX-142006GlamourShots008.jpg

ZX-142006GlamourShots007.jpg

I....................... kinda like the grills on your bike. How bout removing the decal on your swingarm and the reflectors off the forklegs? Powdercoat the healguards. Smoked double bubble is a necessity and a carbon or black front fender, that red one has to go -way too much red. I also like the bronze fork lowers and wheels, but if you change out the wheels, the fork lowers need to go to black. I'd remove the chrome Kawisaki decals on the fairing uppers and put a black Kawisaki decal along the bottom of the fairings. It would also look good with red rim stripes and if you go 520, get the chain with red links. How are the brakes? Now you can swap in the Brembo billet monoblock calipers or the PVM radial 6piston calipers. You have a very nice bike and you should be proud cause it looks very nice. Good luck with whatever you do i'm sure it will turn out great.

Great ideas thanks......double bubble is on the way. The brakes are outstanding, won't even need braided lines. I agree on the Kawasaki decal. I was thinking black chrome from tape works and remoce the decals on the rear and replace with a black chrome ninja logo. I am going with a titanium 530 chain and the only color options are polished or gold. Thanks again, you guys have some neat ideas.

I am impressed with those numbers on the 14 props to you for the tuning and mad props to Kawasaki for upping the bar so to speak.

Working at dealership I get the priveledge of riding most new machine just afterset up. And before anyone throws a mad fit that I am ridding new machines, it is a saftey issue before they are sold to the customer. I will not abuse any machine at all, that is someone else new baby.

It my .2 mile experience with the 14 I noticed the below 5k rpm slugginess that you mentioned. I was kinda wondering the cure, I hope someday to ride one thatone of my friends owns to compare back to back.

I am not as comfy on the 14 as the Busa but that could be just what I am use too.

(vman1300 @ Sep. 07 2006,06:54) I am impressed with those numbers on the 14 props to you for the tuning and mad props to Kawasaki for upping the bar so to speak.

Working at dealership I get the priveledge of riding most new machine just afterset up. And before anyone throws a mad fit that I am ridding new machines, it is a saftey issue before they are sold to the customer. I will not abuse any machine at all, that is someone else new baby.

It my .2 mile experience with the 14 I noticed the below 5k rpm slugginess that you mentioned. I was kinda wondering the cure, I hope someday to ride one thatone of my friends owns to compare back to back.

I am not as comfy on the 14 as the Busa but that could be just what I am use too.
Bikes are funny not all fit everyone. I fit better on the 14 than I do on the Busa. It is all about the fit, comfort and power when dealing with Hyperbikes. Still working the stock suspension to see where it is really at. Heading the WV this weekend so after 850 miles of twisties I should have it all worked out. That flat sport was frustrating because the because my Busa comes uncaged right from the first RPM. Just to a lot of time but we got it fixed. The best part about this bike. After I do the wheels, windscreen and some other light mods, it's done. Headed out to put some miles on it. Thanks for the info.

ZX-14 was designed to do one thing, beat the Busa in the 1/4 mile.  Congratulations, apples to apples it does by an umpteenth of a second.  

Before buying my Busa 3 months ago I looked at the 14 but it left me wanting (horrible front fairing, too many unknowns, first year glitches, very limited aftermarket, etc.).

The 14 has some better ergos (gauges, stock GI, more upright, head lights, etc.). but Kaw could have hit a home run with the looks and ended up hitting a single.  Every review says the Busa is more streetable (0-100) and better in the twisties and this is the most important statistic to most riders, including myself.

I hope Suzuki takes some cues from Kaw w/ radial brakes and ergos...please make integrated turn signals in the tail like the 14 has.  Maybe Suzuki will make one that will fit the previous year Busas.

Oh, BTW bike looks good Greg, but something has to be done about "ya grill." I've seen one painted to match and it looked sharp. Not sure how imprtant the grills actualy are performance wise. Would a flat replacement effect heat distribution, airflow, etc? Does it feel as hot on the legs as they say?

I think the chrome black logos will be nice! Powdercoat the rearsets black, polish/paint the fork bottoms silver and get the polished chain. I like the idea of smoothing the grills and putting some silver mesh behind to cover any holes.

(Over_Easy @ Sep. 07 2006,07:30) ZX-14 was designed to do one thing, beat the Busa in the 1/4 mile.  Congratulations, apples to apples it does by an umpteenth of a second.  

Before buying my Busa 3 months ago I looked at the 14 but it left me wanting (horrible front fairing, too many unknowns, first year glitches, very limited aftermarket, etc.).

The 14 has some better ergos (gauges, stock GI, more upright, head lights, etc.). but Kaw could have hit a home run with the looks and ended up hitting a single.  Every review says the Busa is more streetable (0-100) and better in the twisties and this is the most important statistic to most riders, including myself.

I hope Suzuki takes some cues from Kaw w/ radial brakes and ergos...please make integrated turn signals in the tail like the 14 has.  Maybe Suzuki will make one that will fit the previous year Busas.

Oh, BTW bike looks good Greg, but something has to be done about "ya grill."  I've seen one painted to match and it looked sharp.  Not sure how imprtant the grills actualy are performance wise.  Would a flat replacement effect heat distribution, airflow, etc?  Does it feel as hot on the legs as they say?
I have not experienced the heat issue though I have made adjustments just in case. Actually being at the world press release getting to ride the 14 with the other journalist back in may, the 14 does better in the non-drag race stuff than my Busa does. The handling, brakes, lightness from side to side sway are all better. Which I expect to be addressed on the 07 Busa.

I spoke with Rickey G yesterday at lenght about the bike, getting some trade secretes. He is having a blast running 8.2's and he just set the 1/8th of a mile record in Super Street with his 14. He talked me into the Gale Speed wheels stating the change to the lighter wheels got him a quicker 60' times and 1/8th. Its a nice bike just not the best looking from all angles, its a matter of where you stand while looking at it. Stock capable to 196 mph with 18 tooth front sprocket)...is what the bike just ran setting the land speed record in its class at Bonneville. It will find its way to the people that need pure speed. Its not for everyone but neither is the Hayabusa. Either way....having both for now is heaven.

(BigBSBusa @ Sep. 07 2006,07:44) I think the chrome black logos will be nice!  Powdercoat the rearsets black, polish/paint the fork bottoms silver and get the polished chain.  I like the idea of smoothing the grills and putting some silver mesh behind to cover any holes.
Great idea, I will get them done.

The thing about the 14 is... it has no personality. It looks like other Kawis and even looks similar to a Ducati in a way. The Busa has a look all its own...

Kawasaki didn't do enough to make it better to the point that will actually sway potential Busa buyers over to their side... as Over_Easy said. I felt the same way when looking at it and the Busa.

---

I think you should keep the grill because that is the trademark look of the 14 (i guess). Maybe make it red if possible.

(DeWarrior @ Sep. 07 2006,08:05) Replace the rear signal lenses with something more closely fitted to the curve of the tail fairing.
I have a rumbleimports.com undertail coming. It comes with new led lights. My worry is like with many aftermarket undertails, the lights will not be effective during daytime hours.

Back